Stock straight pipe vs 4'' vs 5'' exhausts - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Stock straight pipe vs 4'' vs 5'' exhausts

I am about to pick up a 2002 Chevrolet 2500hd ext cab short bed and I am wondering the sound difference between each exhaust setup. I want to go completely straight piped no muffler or cat.
PantherHVAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 05:48 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherHVAC View Post
I am about to pick up a 2002 Chevrolet 2500hd ext cab short bed and I am wondering the sound difference between each exhaust setup. I want to go completely straight piped no muffler or cat.
5 inch straight pipe. Sounds amazing on lb7's

Sent from my iPhone 4s
8 inch fabtech lift,36x15.50 baja mtz's,20x12 fuel nutz,reflexxion hood,rbp grille,s&b cai,recon smoked headlights,dsp5 by Kory Willis,mbrp 5 inch TB,mbrp dp,7" black chrome stack,PPE boost and pyro gauges,edge insight cts,bd blow off,egr delete,pcv re-route, alpine touch screen, 2 10" type r's SOLD

new truck- 2011 Denali lml, 6 inch fabtech lift, 22x12 american force rebel's, 35" terra grapplers, h&s mini max, banks cai, 5" exhaust, recon tails and 3rd brake light
polarisiq93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
AKA 01 D_Max

Lower egt's with 4 or 5" Sound is way better with bigger exhaust.

Or call us... 920-765-1615

SOLD
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CC,SB
EFI Live V2 w/dsp5 MAX EFFORT by Idaho Rob,
EGT's Never higher than 1150*
Cognito Braces, and ATP Sleeves, BD Manifold, ARP H.Studs, M.P. mod, MA Aluminum Bleeder, PPE Boost Valve, Banks Ram Air- Intercooler, FASS 150, LBZ FPR, Shimmed FPRV, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust w/6"tip, Corsa Muffler
@180,000-New injectors from Lincoln Diesel, CAT Adapter/filter/spacer

Air Lift, Bilstein Shocks, Leveling Kit, Recon LED tail lights & over cab lights, 20" Forged Aluminum WELD Racing Rims, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Aaron@LDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 06:25 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
it stinks and whistles :)
Lifetime Supporting Member

5" ftw
rare parts gen2, bilstein 5100s, all season brace,
merchant pump rub fix, drp trans cooler lines.
needs a lift pump
http://performancetruckproducts.com/
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Ok. Cause i had an 04 6.0 powerstroke with both 4in and 5inch exhausts.. the 4 inch had more turbo whistle and seemed more loud and high pitched and the 5inch had less of that but had a deeper tone.. i liked the 4 inch one better. But that truck had a vgt like the lly does I believe.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Ok. Cause i had an 04 6.0 powerstroke with both 4in and 5inch exhausts.. the 4 inch had more turbo whistle and seemed more loud and high pitched and the 5inch had less of that but had a deeper tone.. i liked the 4 inch one better. But that truck had a vgt like the lly does I believe.
Yea anything but a vvt sounds good. I'm almost thinking about switching the turbo because i can't stand the hiss. Everyone asks what's wrong with my truck when I give it some gas lol

Sent from my iPhone 4s
8 inch fabtech lift,36x15.50 baja mtz's,20x12 fuel nutz,reflexxion hood,rbp grille,s&b cai,recon smoked headlights,dsp5 by Kory Willis,mbrp 5 inch TB,mbrp dp,7" black chrome stack,PPE boost and pyro gauges,edge insight cts,bd blow off,egr delete,pcv re-route, alpine touch screen, 2 10" type r's SOLD

new truck- 2011 Denali lml, 6 inch fabtech lift, 22x12 american force rebel's, 35" terra grapplers, h&s mini max, banks cai, 5" exhaust, recon tails and 3rd brake light
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Ya standard turbos have a more burly sound to them compared to the hair dryer sounding idle my truck has now.. which is annoying imo. I believe when i talked to the dealer about the chevy im looking at, the guy told me that it doesnt have a cat, even stock? I had the opportunity to drive it and im really impressed. 129k miles and it has the allison transmission
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Ya standard turbos have a more burly sound to them compared to the hair dryer sounding idle my truck has now.. which is annoying imo. I believe when i talked to the dealer about the chevy im looking at, the guy told me that it doesnt have a cat, even stock? I had the opportunity to drive it and im really impressed. 129k miles and it has the allison transmission
Messed up vacuum cleaner is a better word lol. And yup your right they don't have a cat just muffler on the lb7

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Old 03-31-2012, 06:49 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Cool thanks. Cant wait to seal the deal and get rid of my 6.0.. which i will miss in some ways. lol
Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
it stinks and whistles :)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Cool thanks. Cant wait to seal the deal and get rid of my 6.0.. which i will miss in some ways. lol
you wont miss it when you stick your key in a dmax
rare parts gen2, bilstein 5100s, all season brace,
merchant pump rub fix, drp trans cooler lines.
needs a lift pump
http://performancetruckproducts.com/
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.