"Service Brake System" - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

"Service Brake System"

I have a 2003 Chevy Duramax, and recently the "service brake system" message has been coming up on the DIC but my brakes seem to operate fine and there is the right amount of fluid in the reservoir and no leaks.

The "service brake system" along with about 7 dings, will sometimes happen right when I start the truck, but for the most part it happens at about 70km/hr, the ABS and Park Brake light will both come on, and then shortly after it will all go away, sometimes it wont come on for a half hour sometimes it will happen within 5 minutes. Also my Speedo will get a little bouncy around 100km/hr, and if i have cruise control long enough it will just stop working. Help!!!
Jmercer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

mine does the same thing but not sure why. with the speedo, you might have the stepper motor going out.
Cold air intake, AFE mouthpiece, egr blocker plate, pcv reroute, 5" straight pipe, Air dog 150, EFI live by duramaxtuner, Edge CTS, smoked Recon cab lights, Cognito UCA's and leveled out, 5100's all the way around, U.S speedo gauge face, alpine touch screen, two 10in JL 3v3, Autometer cobalt gauges, blue LED's in all dash and door panel lights

Diesel Performance Parts & Products | Alligator Performance
brodewald10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Same problem here. I just pulled the ABS fuse, and the message does not come back on. I noticed no difference in braking. I know its not he fix, but that is what I did for the time being.
scott-116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Does it show any wheel speed sensors failed in DTC/code reader? If so, clean or replace and try again. I had one get dirty on my other truck.

Last edited by walterd; 10-17-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added info about other truck
walterd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

No it's not showing any speed sensor codes, maybe I should try cleaning them anyways
Jmercer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I am having the same "service brake system" error as you are. I came across this fix on another forum. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but it is worth a shot.

TECHNICAL Bulletin No.: 04-05-25-002E
Date: March 11, 2009
Subject:
ABS Light On, DTCs C0265, C0201, U 1041 Set and/or Loss of Communication with Brake Module (Reground EBCM Ground)

Models:
2004—2007 Buick Rainier
2002—2006 Cadillac Escalade Escalade ET
2003—2006 Cadllac Escalade ESV
1999—2007 Chevrolet Slverado Classc.
2000—2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002—2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
2002—2007 Chevrolet TrakBlazer, TrmlBlazer E T
2003—2006 Chevrolet SSR
1999—2007 GMC Sierra Classic
2000—2006 GMC Yukon, ukon Denali. Yukon XL
2002—2007 GMC Envoy. Envoy XL, Serra Denak Classic
2004—2005 (3MC Envoy XCV
2002—2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add step 2 to the procedure and update the Parts and Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-05-25- 002D (Section 05 - Brakes).
Condition:
Some customers may comment that the ABS light is on. Upon further inspection, DTCs C0265 and C0201 may be set in the brake module. It is also possible for DTC U 1041 to set in other modules. There may also be a loss of communication
with the brake module.
Cause:
A poor connection at the EBOM ground is causing unnecessary replacement of brake modules.
Important:
The EBOIV1 ground is different for each application. Refer to the list below for the proper ground reference:
Midsize Utilities = Ground 304
SSR = Ground 400
Fullsize Trucks and Utilities Ground 110

Correction

Important:
Do not replace the brake module to correct this condition. Perform the following repair before further diagnosis of the EBCM.
Perform the following steps to improve the connection of the EBCM Ground:
1. Remove the EBCM Ground. The EBCM Ground is located on the frame beneath the driver’s side door, If multiple grounds are found in this location, the EBCM ground can be identified as the heavy (12-gauge) wire.
2. If the original fastener has a welded on nut, remove the nut from the frame, and if required, enlarge the bolt hole to accommodate the new bolt and nut.
3. Clean the area, front and back, using a tool such as a *3M(TM) Scotch-Brite Roloc disc or equivalent.
4. Install the ground, then the washer and then the bolt to the frame.
Important:
It is important to use the bolts, washers and nuts specified in this bulletin. These parts have been identified due to their conductive finish.
5. Install a washer and nut to the back side of the frame.
Tighten
Tighten the nut to 9 Nm (79 lb in).
6. Cover the front and back side of the repair area using Rubberized Undercoating.

An additional check can be made to ensure a good connection for the battery cable to frame ground. It is possible for this ground to cause similar symptoms with the ABS as described above.
*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/materials. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products or material from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.
rtbcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

i had the same issue. i didnt have power coming to the fuse panel under the hood for some reason. The box itself was shot, snapped the old one out, and put the new one in, and its working like brand new.
2008 GMC 2500HD SLE Crew Cab 4X4 LMM...EFI live by ATP Trucks (Idaho Rob)...Glow Shift Pillar Pod w/ EGT, Boost & Fuel Pressure....Heartthrob 4" Double Turbo Diesel 409 Stainless Steel Exhaust System Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/65/18...18" Ballistic Havoc Rims...GM Tow Mirrors...60" LED Light Bar W/ Reverse...HID Lights...Kenwood DDX719
bassnspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

mine did the samething this weekend after installing the PPE stage 2 tune. Within 1 mile of the house the abs light came on with the message "service brake system."
All I did was install the tune, and raise the speed limiter from 98mph to 120mph.

Anyone know what is going on here?

Last edited by chawkins2001; 06-16-2014 at 06:59 AM.
chawkins2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 05:56 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
most known unknown
Lifetime Supporting Member

my gray gasser 1500 just started giving me this message

jwcgmc1985 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.