Best cheaper tuner - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Best cheaper tuner

I got a 2002 2500hd 6 speed auto with 238000 miles. All stock. I want to put a tuner on it but dont have alot of money to spend. I dont want to screw up the tranny or anything. I want better fuel economy and more power. I average 18 mpg when i keep my foot out of it. What is the best tuner for under $350. I have read about ppe and efi live but they are out of my budget. How are diablo predator, hypertech, quadzilla, superchips, or what ever else there is. Which is the best for the money
Thanks
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Do not put in a cheaper tuner.

If u want a safe tuner look at the name brands

JohnnyO
2012 Denali Dually HD 4x4
Banks Exhaust, Ram-Air & Custom Super-Scoop
Line-X, BedStep, BedStep2, Bed Rug, PPE deep trans pan.
B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
American Work Cover-rolling cover/toolbox w/ B-light tonneau lighting system

1993 GMC 1500 SLE Extended Cab Short Box, 4x4, 5.7 gas, traded it for:
1996 GMC 3500 SLE Crew Cab Dually, 4x4, 7.4L gas, sold it and got a:
2003 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab Short Box, 4x4, 8.1L gas, traded it in for the 2012.
DenaliDuallyHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
b14

leave it stock,, and pretty sure its a 5 spd

dpf delete - egr blocked - cheap pcv re-route
efi live tuned dsp5 - by rob!
4" Diamond eye duals
afe intake with pro dry 2
ride rights
edge insight cts w/ egt probe and two backup cameras

Dirty Loud and Proud
b14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

a cheap tuner is bad news with that many miles.
you want efi or dont even waste your money. when was the last time you did the injectors? and yea if its stock auto then its 5 speed
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have a PPE standard I just took off my truck that I have for sale, $350 shipped to your door. Your truck should be a 5 speed. Everyone says if you keep it at the 90 hp and down setting your tranny will be fine. I had it set at the 90 in mine and never had a problem. I received my EFI tonight and uninstalled it to get the facto tune file to send back to Idaho Rob to get my tunes.
Clifford is a 2005 GMC Loaded SLT 2wd with; true cold air intake mods, ported LBZ turbo inlet mouthpiece, AFE Inter cooler pipe, Diamond Eye down pipe, BD drivers side manifold, Silverline 4" S/S exhaust, EFI Live DSP5 By Idaho Rob, V2 radiator, thermostst controlled oil cooler, Bully Dog pillar mounted outlook monitor, pillar mounted Auto Meter oil temp gauge,19.5" aluminum wheels with factory lug covers, Goodyear G647RSS 225/70/19.5, BF Xenon 6000k Headlights Low & Hi, Air lift Remote control 5000# air bag system, Tork Lift Stable Loasd, rear mounted under the bumper halogen lights, EZ down Tailgate assist, Put co S/S mud flaps, compete interior wood dash kit, Dual Liner 3 piece bed liner with rubber floor mat, Roll-N-Lock tonne cover with tail gate lock, and AVS in channel vent visors.

GM DRW club member #5
05 3500 2wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

If you can't afford a tuner, how will you afford things when they start breaking? I agree, leave it stock.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Used Ppe standard is your best bet. And like already stated you have a 5 speed allison

2006 CCSB 4x4 ZF6
battlegraduate09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Find a ppe standard in the for sale section, I saw 3 for sale starting at $350. I've had mine for 2 years on the same power level. Its nice safe power that I've had no problems with.
S&B, resonator delete
Sleeves & Braces
Blackmamba 02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

An all stock 02, 6 speed?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Do you know anyone local to you with efi live? If so than u can just buy a dsp2 or 5 and a vin for like 125 from a vendor and prolly come in around 350. IMO your just waisting your money on a cheap tuner save and get efii live cuz ur gonna buy efi later and never get your money back out. But if you must not listen like most people when they get their first tuner (including me) than I would suggest ppe, diablo sport, edge, banks, or quadzilla. Which I didn't really like quadzilla on my dads lmm but a lot of people do. I hear they are really smoky tunes but I dunno my dad still had his dpf so I kept it turned down. I had diablo sport predator and it was a good tuner to be a cheaper canned tuner. They have good customer support too. Oh and I would be careful going over 65 hp tune if that tranny has 23x k miles on it or you will be buying a tranny soon!
4" dual exhaust, intake, traction bars, LBZ m/p, egr blocked, PPE FPRV shim kit, PPE lift pump, PPE Stage V with M.L., ARP studs, CP3 by TC Diesel, Extrude Honed 30% nozzles, DSP5 by Rob

Last edited by BiloxiDmax; 11-27-2012 at 10:47 PM.
BiloxiDmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.