aftermarket fuel filter setups - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:20 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

aftermarket fuel filter setups

Ok, I'm just about at the peak of what I'd ever like to do to this truck performance wise. just your average run of the mill intake/exhaust/edge/ppe boost valve setup.

i had my injectors done by GM under warranty 50,000 miles ago and now ones going out on me again. I took it to GM with 14 days left on my warranty and they said #7 is flowing high but not out of spec ENOUGH to warrant me falling into the warranty replacement category. :censored me right?

I did try a full bottle of fuel cleaner (over the course of a few tanks of course) but it hasn't done anything, guess it was a little bit of false hope left in me. I have a feeling this all is contributed to me running micogard bullshit autozone filters. although having changed them every oil change probably helped, running them in the first place as opposed to the new GM revision filter had to have been the worst thing for my poor new injectors.

So I somehwat lucked out because obviously #7 is on passenger side. gonna buy 4 injectors and get to work on that side as the dealer said driver side still responds well as far as injector readings go. But once i'm done putting in these injectors, which fuel filter do i go with?

kennedy diesel recommends the dual filter setup and they seem extremely knowledgable. however i really like the idea of the bd kit wit hthe single large tractor filter on it due to a larger surface area of filtration. what does everyone here run? as stated in the beginning of my post i have no interest in gobs of power so items like aftermarket lift pumps probably don't pertain to my particular situation.

whats everyone here run for fuel filters/recommend? (i'm looking for something more than oem size filter in stock location can offer)

Last edited by ob_1jr; 01-12-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: rule 2.4
Stewart Leask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

You should look into FASS & Airdog. There are several reports that state air is the biggest contaminate to diesel sys. I just bought the FASS HD-C10-150G primarily to protect the CP3 Pump & Injectors.
BANKS Ram Air Intake + Super Scoop, Banks Boost CAC Tube, BD Exhaust Manifold, EGR Blocker, MBRP DP, 4" Turbo-Back Exhaust w/ Aero-Turbine 4040, PCV Reroute, Transgo Jr., B&M Racing Deep Pan, Pure-Power Filter, SunCoast Deep Filter Lock,
Autometer Ultra-Lite II - EGT & Boost in overhead. NCT/Bilstein Shocks, Sulastic Shackles, Kryptonite Tie-Rods, Cognito UCA & Steering Braces, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Reunel Bumper, Open Country M/T, LINE-X, TruXedo Tonneau, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Pioneer FH-P8000BT, i-pod, Focal 165KF Frt & Rear, JL Audio 300/4 Amp, Focal 27KX Subs, Audison Amp, Rattle-Trap Xtreme.
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
SDP

This is what I use Perma-Cool 81794 Perma-Cool Fuel Filter/Water Separator Kits

Great price and filters down to 2 microns, can handle 90 psi too so its good for after lift pumps. I think IdahoRob runs them as well, and they come with the mitusa lift pumps.
S400/GT42 Turbo kits, EXERGY, Garrett, FASS, ATP, PPE, Goerend, Bullseye, SoCal Diesel
SDPtwins.com LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!

2009 LMM SDP trans, SDP GT5541/GTX42 twins, Socal motor, ATP tuned
2002 LB7 SDP twins, ATP tuned, stock motor 11.97@113mph 7,200lbs
2001 LB7 SDP Built transmission, Single SDP S475 with diverter valve
2006 LBZ for custom twin kit mock up only
2005 LLY shop truck
Scott@SDP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 02:38 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

i have such a hard time seeing how my truck would need the FASS systems (i've been eyeballing them for awhile), i just think its overkill for my application. could I run the perma-cool water seperator along with the BD remote mount filter and be good to go? or will i start taxing my stock pump pretty bad?
Stewart Leask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
ASE Certified PartsWhore

We will gladly match any competitor's deal!

Last edited by HuskerDiesel; 01-12-2010 at 06:56 AM.
HuskerDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 11:15 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Airdog II is the way to go in my opinion. We sell quite a few of these units and everyone absolutely loves them. Easy install, great pump/filtration, and the best warranty in the business.
DSTRBD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 12:01 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
Lifetime Supporting Member

DURA MAXXX / bnkrupt... did I miss something? What happened?
Gone! 4/25/2013
2013 Chev CC Z-71 LT DMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStepChild View Post
You want your exhaust to be like a fart. You can't see it but you know the effects of it.

If you can see your fart you got problems. If you can see your exhaust ...
XtremeDMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

^^^^^x2 im lost
pictures: http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/1911samcolt/
1911samcolt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Aftermarket filters are nice, and they might make your injectors last a little longer, but they will still fail eventually. Many are running extra filters and still have them fail. I am not discouraging you about getting one. IMO the aftermarket filters are cheaper to replace then the stock one and if they make it "stock" last twice as long it is not a bad thing. I am just saying that extra filters will not keep your injectors from failing.

Just a few aftermarket goodies
mijdirtyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijdirtyjeep View Post
Aftermarket filters are nice, and they might make your injectors last a little longer, but they will still fail eventually. Many are running extra filters and still have them fail. I am not discouraging you about getting one. IMO the aftermarket filters are cheaper to replace then the stock one and if they make it "stock" last twice as long it is not a bad thing. I am just saying that extra filters will not keep your injectors from failing.
^^ well said
Gone! 4/25/2013
2013 Chev CC Z-71 LT DMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStepChild View Post
You want your exhaust to be like a fart. You can't see it but you know the effects of it.

If you can see your fart you got problems. If you can see your exhaust ...
XtremeDMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.