Best Duramax performance chip - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Best Duramax performance chip

Hey Guys
I am buying my first diesel, and I will be purchasing a 2003 Duramax (LB7 i think)

What is the best chip for it?
edge? bully dog? PPE?

Please let me know

Thanks!

Last edited by SEANDZL; 04-15-2008 at 11:10 AM.
SEANDZL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 11:14 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

well efi live is the best out there but as far as handheld probally ppe(its rather pricy from what i understand) but i would recoment efi live it takes some time getting the hang of but once you have the han gof it u can work wonders.... also before you do a programmer i would do exhaust, intake and a set of guages

TRUCK--06 Duramax LBZ
PERFORMANCE MODS--SnB CAI, Custom 4inch Exhaust, EFIlive custome tuning by myself
EXTERIOR--White, 4x4, CC, SB, 6inch RCD lift with 35inch BFG KM2 MUDS, painted to match door handles, Cowl Induction Hood, Billet Grill, limo tinted windows with 35% on the winshield, Train Horns
INTERIOR--LT package, EGT and Boost Pillar Mounted Guages, 3 10inch alumapro subs with custom box, 2000 watt amp, and 2 farat capacitor, cobra radar detector, aftermarket pedals

SOCAL BLACK SMOKE MEMBER#71
06duramaxkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I would go with PPE well worth the money. I love mine. I used to have the edge and in my opinion, compared to the PPE, it's a night and day difference. Additionally I haven't heard the greatest things about bullydog either, although some people have them and like them a lot. Whatever you go with make sure and get some gauges like duramaxkid said, so you can keep tabs on your truck.
2003 Cummins SC LB
Maverick684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 12:30 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

The edge/attitude is nice for the LB7 as it comes with gauges.

The PPE is very easy to use and works well. Gauges are recommended though on the upper levels. PPE offers entry level tuners for a good price, up to full racing applications.
2007 LBZ tow rig/Daily driver, stock engine 11.70 @ 115mph on #2, 677 HP, MPI Twins
23.5 MPG Diesel Power Challenge 2008
2002 LB7 Max'd Out 9.71@141+MPH on #2 fuel only, MPI Twins

EFI Live, Suncoast Dealer, Dmax Hotrod Parts
Adrenaline Truck Performance 208.484.3670
IdahoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 12:50 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

What about the Hypertech? I have a buddy who has one and he really likes it. I had also read somewhere that Hypertech is one of the best for the 2003? This would be for power and fuel economy. I am just asking... I am also in the market for a tuner, so wondering what you guys think???
walleye guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I'm happy with my predator

New Injectors-158,174
stock exhaust straight piped
Predator/PPE Boost Valve
greatwhitecracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 05:53 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I use the Edge w/attitude monitor and I love the way it works. Also a nice feature is the ability to monitor so many different things and four at one time, all your choice. Very easy install and shift on the fly. Not saying anything against the others, haven't used any of them.

HAVE - 2005 GMC Sierra crew/6'box - 4X4 - Duramax w/Allison. Fully loaded - AiRaid intake - 4" Pinnicle Performance Exhaust (No Converter - Straight through muffler) - EGR blocker plate - Edge Juice w/attitude - 2" plug in Turbo Resinator -
Patches4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

If one manufacturer really had the best they would take the same truck and install every competitors product and publish the results. All in all it is nearly impossible to digest and accept all the input. Good luck sorting it out
petep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep1 View Post
If one manufacturer really had the best they would take the same truck and install every competitors product and publish the results. All in all it is nearly impossible to digest and accept all the input. Good luck sorting it out
I disagree. Now, if you want to know which will squeeze that last ounce of power out, then yes, you are correct.

From my opinion, "best" translates into smooth power, good amount of power, minimal problems. Basically, overall performance of the product. If you want to squeeze that last little bit of power go EFI live and empty the piggy bank. If you want a good quality product that will run well, then you have options.

Budget oriented - Diablosport Predator. Good tuner, has nice features, like the ability to adjust the speed limiter and tire size. Best bang for buck. GET GAUGES!

Mid Range - Edge Juice/Attitude. Adjustable on the fly, good power, many features, and includes digital gauges, cool down timer, EGT and Boost limiting, ect all in one package.

Best (IMO) - PPE - If you want the truck to RUN, this is it, short of EFI live. They have several different levels of performance and each level can be upgraded to a higher level for a fee. At this point, it really comes down to budget. You can go for the lower levels and get it upgraded later.

Just realize, to see the most from these you will want to look at an exhaust kit, intake, and possibly some transmission upgrades.

Gauges are not optional, except with the Edge, as it includes them.
Diesel Nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 09:13 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

08 Duramax mileage

I recently purchased an 08Duramax, 2 wheel drive, strictly for towing purposes but I'm interested in getting a performance chip to enhance gas mileage. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated as this is my first diesel in a daily driver.

Bill
betonit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.