Lb7 mpg - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 03:50 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question Lb7 mpg

I have an 04 LB7, i bought the banks sitnger system came with exhaust, tuner, air box and wastegate actuator. Im getting 15 to 16mpg around town not driving crazy or pulling any wieght, what can i do to get better fuel economy? It might all be bs but i have talked to people with the same rig as me and they are saying the get 19 to 23 mpg town/freeway.
Banks Monster exhaust
Banks Big Head Wastegate actuator
04DMAXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 03:54 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Well first of all, welcome to the forum!!! Is that hand calculated? The dash will lie sometimes and say you are getting better/worse than you really are. Second, when did you last change your fuel filter? Third, run some 2 stroke oil in at every fill up, its getting me better mpg
CURRENT: 2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 crew cab (black), 20" chrome Diamo 16 Karat wheels wrapped with 33x11.5 Cooper Discoverer ATPs, 2" wheel spacers, custom straight pipe exhaust, PPEI dsp5 tuned by Kory, 8k HIDs in head/foglights, Limo tint, more coming soon...

SOLD:2002 CC/SB Duramax LS 4x4 LB7, Solid axle conversion, 14" lift, 20" XD Diesels (black), 39.5x16.5x20 Pitbull Rocker M/Ts, ATS E-power 160HP/360TQ Tune, Edge Attitude Moniter for Guages, Amsoil Custom Intake, PPE Boost Valve, Custom 5" Straight pipe, Limo Tint everywhere, HID 8k heads, Clarion 7" flip out, (2) 10" subs
ChevyDMax89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 03:59 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Rode the Short Bus

Welcome to the forum.

I would say 19-23 is a bit of a stretch probably.

As was already mentioned, check your maintenance, oil, fuel filter, tranny fluid and filter.

What mods do you have?

When my truck was stock I got about 15.5 mpg. I cut out the muffler and went straight pipe, and I did the Kennedy air box mod. I think both helped.

Now I have a programmer set to +65 hp and have seen my mileage about 17.5 mpg.

Member #4, #1 Irrelevant Member of the Exclusive GM DRW Club

Get your shit here! www.trollperformance.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
The truth about asses is they don't change, they just get bigger!
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 03:59 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Thanks, Yes its hand calculated the dash is usually 1 to 2 mpg off. I just changed the fuel filter two weeks ago along with the water seperator. Are you saying put some 2 stroke oil in the fuel? if so how much shoud i put in, thats not going to mess anything up internally?
Banks Monster exhaust
Old 06-13-2010, 04:02 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

the only mods i have are the exhaust, intake and banks tuner
Banks Monster exhaust
Old 06-13-2010, 04:02 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04DMAXGMC View Post
Thanks, Yes its hand calculated the dash is usually 1 to 2 mpg off. I just changed the fuel filter two weeks ago along with the water seperator. Are you saying put some 2 stroke oil in the fuel? if so how much shoud i put in, thats not going to mess anything up internally?
Nope it won't hurt a bit, it will actually help lubricate. Many members here do it, along with big rig drivers. Just go to wal-mart and buy TCW-3 rated 2 stroke oil, I buy 16 oz. bottles at a time, and use half of that at every fill up. So 1 bottle lasts me 2 tanks. And the 16 oz. runs maybe $3.
CURRENT: 2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 crew cab (black), 20" chrome Diamo 16 Karat wheels wrapped with 33x11.5 Cooper Discoverer ATPs, 2" wheel spacers, custom straight pipe exhaust, PPEI dsp5 tuned by Kory, 8k HIDs in head/foglights, Limo tint, more coming soon...

SOLD:2002 CC/SB Duramax LS 4x4 LB7, Solid axle conversion, 14" lift, 20" XD Diesels (black), 39.5x16.5x20 Pitbull Rocker M/Ts, ATS E-power 160HP/360TQ Tune, Edge Attitude Moniter for Guages, Amsoil Custom Intake, PPE Boost Valve, Custom 5" Straight pipe, Limo Tint everywhere, HID 8k heads, Clarion 7" flip out, (2) 10" subs
Old 06-13-2010, 04:04 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I get anywhere from 14-24 depending on terrain and driving habits
Truck: 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax CC/SB | N-fab 6 step bars with 2" sectioned out of the front| Bushwacker Cut-Out Flares | Sulastic Shackles | Cognito 4-6" lift | Fuel Throttle 20x10 -12mm offset | 325/60R20 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs | H&S Mini Maxx | DPF Delete | Urea Delete | EGR Delete| PPE Manifolds and Up-Pipes | Diamondeye 3" Downpipe | 5" Flo~Pro Exhaust w/Muffler

Coming soon: S&B Intake and FASS Lift Pump
trevorb_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Used to get 17 mpg on a good day stock. Now with EGR deleted, Kennedy air box mod, banks exhaust turbo back, EFI live tuning by Idaho Rob, 5 to 6 speed tranny conversion (about 1mpg increase average), intake horn mod, stock tire size, nicktane prefilter, and lift pump, I can now get 20-21 where I could only get 17-18 before.
As far as 2-cycle oil is concerned, I never ran it with my first set of injectors...only some stanadyne...and got 112K miles out of them. On the 2nd set I ran 2 cycle oil in every tank and only got 56K out of them. For the 3rd set I am not running any 2 cycle oil but running stanadyne in every tank. Personally I think running 2cycle oil, at least for me, was a waste of money and time and seemingly did nothing to extend the life of my injectors. The truck currently has never run so well.
GMC '04 2500HD SLE CC D/A LB7 SB Summit White, LineX, Nicktane, JK headlight harness, JK fuel pump and harness, Banks exhaust, EFI Live, intake horn mod, Suncoast 6 speed conversion, injectors at 112,265 (#8 again at 136K), ...and all 8 again at 168,368.
VW '02 Jetta Wagon TDI 6 spd ERF manual, DLC520 Bosio nozzles, Malone stage 2.
VW '01 Bug TDI 6 spd ERF manual, T-4 injectors, Malone stage 2 tuning. My FUN summer driver.
Fuel mileage? Who cares, its a diesel.
audiomixer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post
Used to get 17 mpg on a good day stock. Now with EGR deleted, Kennedy air box mod, banks exhaust turbo back, EFI live tuning by Idaho Rob, 5 to 6 speed tranny conversion (about 1mpg increase average), intake horn mod, stock tire size, nicktane prefilter, and lift pump, I can now get 20-21 where I could only get 17-18 before.
As far as 2-cycle oil is concerned, I never ran it with my first set of injectors...only some stanadyne...and got 112K miles out of them. On the 2nd set I ran 2 cycle oil in every tank and only got 56K out of them. For the 3rd set I am not running any 2 cycle oil but running stanadyne in every tank. Personally I think running 2cycle oil, at least for me, was a waste of money and time and seemingly did nothing to extend the life of my injectors. The truck currently has never run so well.
Its a hit or miss. Basically its just what you prefer. With my old 01 I used Power Service and liked it. This 02 Im using 2 stroke oil and it seems to be getting me better mpg. Alot of factors go into this though, my tires are completely different and a little smaller, this truck has less miles, etc.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

My old LB7 had no problem hitting 23 mpg, if it was all highway. No way mine would have hit a 23 average city/highway. Easy acceleration, and driving at about 69-70 mph was about perfect for me. Once stop and go traffic was added to the mix, I would average more like 17 mpg or so. All hand calculated.
2006 CC/SB LT3 2500HD 4x4 D/A 285-65 18 TOYO A/T's on Black Monster's, Cognito UCA, EFI Live DSP5 thanks to Rob, Alligator Stage V trans w/ML converter, ADII 165, Autometer Cobalt pyro and boost guages, Rare Parts HD tie rods, blocked and shimmed, 5" Magnaflow straight pipe
2001 CC/SB 2500HD 4x4 D/A - SOLD
1993 Z28 M6
Lloyd Elliot ported heads and intake, LE 1.6 cam, 1.6 RR, 52MM BBK TB, 30lb/hr injectors, PCMforless tune, K&N FIPK, Pacesetter longtubes, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback -the cat Dynaspark billet optispark, RAM kevlar clutch, 275-45-17 pirellis on 17x9.5 ZR1's up front, 315-35-17 on 17x11 ZR1 rears
01Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.