Help replacing inner tie rod end. - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 08:09 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question Help replacing inner tie rod end.

Can anyone explain how to replace the inner tie rod on my 05. I've got a lot of play in it the outer seems to be fine. I can see the rod moving in and out of the rubber boot about a 1/4" and a noticeable clunk sound when I shake the tire back and forth. They dont look like the old tie rods that you used to just take the nut off and smack with a hammer so any help would be appreciated.
Bully Dog Power Pup
Auto Meter Ultra Lite II
Boost And Pyro on A Pillar
Plugged Resonator:ar15
wildturkey_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 08:33 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Might get a puller to help out.[steady even pulling takes it off]Don't beat the threads,if you have to,put the nut back on top,then gently tap with a wood block..
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 09:41 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Here's a pic. Idont think a puller will do it. The outer tie rod end screws on to the skinny end. The other end is what's got me confused. I guess maybe it just screw in to the center link?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpi.jpg (17.7 KB, 52 views)
Bully Dog Power Pup
Auto Meter Ultra Lite II
Boost And Pyro on A Pillar
Plugged Resonator:ar15
wildturkey_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 10:13 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

The nut on the inner part shows on the truck. IIRC loosen them with a wrench then they just unscrew from the truck! If you do replace it make sure you get a alignment afterwards! Heck, call the local alignment shop. They might throw it on there while there at it!

Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 07:08 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

If I'm not mistaken, there is a special tool that you use to take the inner tie rod loose with. It kinda looks like a long tube with interchangeable crows foot on the inner end. you might be able to borrow one or rent one. Last time I checked 5 years ago they were about $90. Might try auto parts store or rental center. K-D I think make one.

2001 Chevy 3500 CC Longbed Dually 4X4, 6.6 Duramax, PPE Standard, Magna Flow 4" Exhaust, Gooseneck hitch, 32' Gooseneck Trailer, Allis Chambers Backhoe

Some's good, More's better, Too much is just enough!!!!

http://www.alligatorperformance.com/ http://www.alligatorperformance.com/
duramax-rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

jack the truck up and use a good sized pipe wrench on it and it'll come out. mine was a pita and i had to take the whole center link out and put it in the vise.

Ask About our Daily Specials and Discounts for Forum Members
Banks, Edge, PPE, Hypertech, ATS, BD Diesel, Silverline, MBRP, Magnaflow, Mag-Hytec, Air Dog fuel systems, Titan and Transferflow fuel tanks, and many many more.[/CENTER]
Kyle@XDP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I just replaced my tie rods on my 05, i just grabbed the centerlink with a visegrip, held it still and used a big ol adjustable wrench and it broke the tie rod loose. Was a pain though
05 lly EC SB, EFI Live (Moonshine), Big Dipper trans, raptor 150, 5" mbrp turbo back single 7" stack, MBRP 3" downpipe, S&B intake, , Cognito 7-9 set at 9", 37" terra grapplers, Cognito HD tie rods, AFE Bladerunner, EGR blocked, BD exhaust manifold, MBRP hot side intercooler pipe, ATS diff cover, autometer digital boost/pyro
NJDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.