coolant leak - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 02:47 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

coolant leak

Hi all. I have a coolant leak some where in the front of the motor. Its a drip that is worse when parked headed down in front at a steep angle. Found out on a trip this week end added water got throught the trip fine without much more loss. I did find coolant down with top hose some what collapsed before I left. Is there a water pump fitting or hose that I have to look for. Thanks in advance Rick
grampyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 02:57 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Look at the water pump weep hole. It is on the driver's side front of the engine. As far as the upper radiator hose being collapsed, soak your overflow cap in warm soapy water.
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

coolant leak

I put my truck in the garage and now nothing is leaking. excuse my ignorance but what is a weep hole and what does it do I am new to diesels. I haul a 5th wheel and it is awesome.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:50 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The water pump has a small hole in the housing to vent the shaft. It is located on the bottom- close whaer the lower hose attaches. If you have coolant stains on the lower hose-- the water pump is most likely leaking. They seem to leak more when driving, and a pressure test does not always show the leak.

If you have around 100k miles, that is around the mileage when most go.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 05:30 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

the truck has 130k so the pump is probaly the problem. I assume there is a how to for the pump on the forum somewhere. setting level in the garage tonite after coming from work no leak. The rad cap was the problem for the collapsed hose. when I opened it the hose came back to normal. I am no mechanic but I do alot of my own work so I am hoping if its the water pump I can do it.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The pump is not real hard to do, but the damn balancer has to come off and that is torqued to 275 ft lbs. They make a special tool to hold the engine from turning, or you can remove the starter to hold the flywheel, so you can loosen and then later tighten it.

You may need a power drink to help. The cost to have someone do it is, $600--- $1,000!
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

coolant leak

finally got a chance to look things over Is the weep hole on the very bottom of the pump I crawled underneath the truck and I think I found the hole on the bottom on pump and a very small amount coming out while truck is running. So I guess the problem is the pump. Any body in maine that has changed one close to bangor.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:47 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Yep that would be a bad water pump. There is a DIY in the DIY section.
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 11:31 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

A quick note, the reason your top hose is collapsed is because the coolant system does not vent to open air. When coolant leaks out through the weep hole or any other point where it is a slow leak air cannot enter the system so the top hose has to collapse to compensate for the loss of volume. If anything that means your cap is working since there is no external surge tank to draw fluid from. The cooling system is a completely sealed system.
Don't have a d-max, but my family has 3, a 2005 with a 6" cst lift on 35's, a 2006 with a 6" rcd lift on 37's, and a brandnewish 2010 not currently lifted yet but plans in the works (he just traded in his 2003)
I do have a 93 jeep Cherokee with a 8 inch rustys off road long arm kit, 33-11.5x15 mudders and a "short top conversion" which means I rolled it and cut the roof off.
DeaconAz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

ok now I am worried. I found a mechanic that does work for the local diesel shop and asked about doing my pump no problem but he said he has had 2 trucks lose head gaskets within 2 months of changing water pump. I s this a isolated problem or a common problem. Big dollars to change head gaskets he said. He also said it was on 05s which is what I have. someone please tell me I don't need to worry this. Thanks for all the imput so far. A gtreat forum by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.