Power steering pump removal - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Power steering pump removal

I have searched and searched everywhere and I cannot find anything. I have taken the three bolts off of the front left of the power steering pump and the one off of the back bracket. It is wiggling but will not come loose. It looks like there may be one more line on the back with a bolt connecting it but I cannot reach it. What am I missing. Thanks in advance
bmwmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 05:06 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

there's 2 on the back
2001 Chevy CC/SB 4WD EFI Live DSP 5, LBZ Short Block, Cut LB7 Pistons,keyed crank and cam, balanced,LBZ Intake Runners with RDL Shorty Y-Bridge, EPR Twins, Big Dipper 40% overs, MBRP Cool Duals, LBZ CP3, ADII, BD Manifold, C2 Gauges, H2 Wheels, Cognito Sleeves and Braces, Hids-Hi-Low-Fogs.
Sheet Metal Workers Local #22
If it's not made in America, YOU paid too much!
Creatures of The Night Performance and ProFab Performance
Vrabel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 05:06 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

do you have wheel well pulled? it a whole lot easier.
2001 Chevy CC/SB 4WD EFI Live DSP 5, LBZ Short Block, Cut LB7 Pistons,keyed crank and cam, balanced,LBZ Intake Runners with RDL Shorty Y-Bridge, EPR Twins, Big Dipper 40% overs, MBRP Cool Duals, LBZ CP3, ADII, BD Manifold, C2 Gauges, H2 Wheels, Cognito Sleeves and Braces, Hids-Hi-Low-Fogs.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

i saw the close one I will take the wheel well off and look
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

did you take nut off back of pump? or bolt out facing block? That nut holds pump to bracket that's bolted to block. There's 2 about 2 in. apart vertically. Leave the nut on and remove 2 bolts.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Got it now. Went into it blind. Couldnt find anything anywhere. Might need to make a writeup.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmotorsports View Post
Got it now. Went into it blind. Couldnt find anything anywhere. Might need to make a writeup.
I would appreciate that, I have a leak in mine I am going to try to repair, soon.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:47 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Just replaced mine in a parking lot the day after I broke down.... really wasn't too bad, just messy.

Took about 4 hours once I started and some of that was trying to find a place to press the new pulley back on.

I pulled the wheel liner, the intercooler pipe, the fan cover trim, pulled the battery ground mount...and I think that was it. I would have to go look at it to remember anyhthing else I may have pulled off.

Be sure to install your new O-rings!

Stock LB7 / Allison with 675,000miles
(325,000 miles to go!)

*** Thanks to Lincoln Diesel for their service and help in keeping my DMAX running stout! ***
ejevans72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejevans72 View Post
Just replaced mine in a parking lot the day after I broke down.... really wasn't too bad, just messy.

Took about 4 hours once I started and some of that was trying to find a place to press the new pulley back on.

I pulled the wheel liner, the intercooler pipe, the fan cover trim, pulled the battery ground mount...and I think that was it. I would have to go look at it to remember anyhthing else I may have pulled off.

Be sure to install your new O-rings!
Sweet, doesn't sound too bad. I have a press and pullers, so hopefully that makes things easier. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:44 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I just brought my new pump to the dealer and they pressed the pulley on/off for around $20.
After that it's pretty much just a messy job......helps to have line wrenches for the P/S hose fittings though.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.