05 4500 topkick - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Exclamation 05 4500 topkick

got a 05 4500 topkick . had problem with it cold starting just crank and crank . had to give it a little spray magic fires right up and runs fine . took to dealer said code P1550 witch is for the FICM they reset computer .it would fire up after u cranked it for a while . did not replace ficm . now it will not start cold or hot with a little spray of either . but it runs fine after that ...
jivemother33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 06:08 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

i have unpluged and repluged conecters look for bad wires all seems good the dealer also said not fuel prime problem ,primer stays solid , truck has 50,000 on it
Old 09-01-2011, 06:10 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

stop using the starter sprays you're going to blow the motor up.

Anyways dads 03 4500 never liked starting in the cold. still don't know why.
Danville Tuned
305/50/20
looking for more fuel and air....
mcle6103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 06:14 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

i ment cold like motor not warm its 75 out now wont start evin after u drive for hour u shut it off it wont fire back up with out little help . i know its bad for it but its a company dump truck needs to go to the job make money we just leave it runnin . i am going to try a ficm but they are pricey for a new one
Old 09-01-2011, 06:18 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Oh ok gotcha I thought you mean like 30 degrees lol Sorry I'm not much help on this issue. FICM might be the only way to go.
Danville Tuned
305/50/20
looking for more fuel and air....
mcle6103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 06:27 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The truck does not have a fuel pump-- did you pump the manual primer on the fuel filter housing--?? If the seals are bad in the housing, it will allow air into the fuel system, and not start. Try pumping the primer and then open the bleeder screw to let air out. Then close the bleeder and pump again. The bleeder screw is next to the pump and is made of plastic-- be careful-- it will break easy.
Inspect the FICM wire harness at the passenger side of the alternator. The harness is tied down with a zip tie, cut the zip tie, open up the plastic loom, carefully check for bare wires. The harness and wires get cut, and sometimes short to ground, by contact with the sharp corner of the FICM bracket. Repair, and insulate with a piece of heater hose.
This is a common problem for the LLY engine. Everyone that has a LLY should check this now!
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 06:30 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

the primer is solid still got good prime . i believe it is an electrical issue
Old 09-01-2011, 06:42 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Then check the wire harness at the alternator--I do not know if the 4500 is the same as the 2500/3500 trucks, but that can be a problem.

Check for codes.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 06:49 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

thanks ya i need to dig into it
Old 09-01-2011, 07:01 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

If you got fuel, it is an electrical issue, Like JC said, check each individual wire in the harness. mine went bad. maybe I should just start doing a cut and paste as well.
Nitto Terras on 17" Moto Metal 950

DMAXSTORE.COM, Your Duramax Diesel-Only Shopping Resource
Markymark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.