losing prime problem - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

losing prime problem

I've been losing prime below a quarter of a tank. So I rebuilt the filter head and it was all fine. I also installed a lift pump and put in a new fuel filter. The problem continues to happen, but only below a quarter of a tank. I can get it to run if i reprime the system and the low fuel light does not come on. I can go about 2.5 miles before it does it all over again. I dont have any fuel leaks because i would've found them by now. I get a p0087 and p1093. Both are low fuel rail pressure. I am at a loss. I haven't found any threads on this. Anybody have suggestions or experience with this problem. Do I need to rebuild the frpv or install a shim? Would the fprv effect my mileage, too? Because I am getting horrible mileage (14mpg).

06 ext cab 2wd drw 462,xxx, New motor with 5k, 3.5 inch downpipe to 4inch straight pipe, 19.5s, Custom towbody, Efi live from www.powerlabsdiesel.com, built tranny, egr delete, airbags, and Edge insight.

Thanks to Gary at diesel pros in Bozeman, MT
Cam at Adrenaline Performance in Shelley, ID
and the guys at powerlabs for tuning.
http://www.Alligatorperformance.com/
Skierbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 01:06 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I am have had the same problem also but noe mine now does it if the truck sits for more then 8 hours or so without running and with or without low fuel. I actually got on here to see if i could find some insight into this problem. Let me know if you come up with anything and ill do the same.
FireFightinHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I had a prime loss and it was the high pressure fuel sensor in the valley. Rebuilt fuel filter housing and blah blah blah and finally fixed it after the damn thing blew out and shot fuel all over the place!
546hp & 1025 ft/lbs at Lone Star Dyno, Spring Branch Tx.
Best Run: 13.23 @101 with 1.90 60
'
daword2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skierbum View Post
I get a p0087 and p1093. Both are low fuel rail pressure. I am at a loss. I haven't found any threads on this. Anybody have suggestions or experience with this problem. Do I need to rebuild the frpv or install a shim? Would the fprv effect my mileage, too? Because I am getting horrible mileage (14mpg).
When my truck started to act up I thought it was lossing it's prime also. Each time I reprimed it it seems to be OK. So I rebuilt the fuel prime pump (o-ring kit). Then it ran fine for awhile. To make a looong story short it ended up being the FPRV. Do the bottle test, this will tell you if it is your FPRV. It's a simple test that takes about 10 minutes to set up.

I also had the same codes as you have. Do the bottle test!
PVC - reroute, Prodigy ETBC,
Firestone Ride Rite AB
darrenz16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about the issues! If you private message me with your VIN, we can look further into the situations.

Thank you!

Joey, GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

yeah try the bottle test.. i was pulling up the same codes and my truck went into limp mode. I bought the shim kit from the dmax store and my truck runs good now, not too sure if this is the problem but its a easy fix!
-Volant intake, mbrp 5" straight piped exhaust, 6" tip, adp race plug, afe mouthpiece, bullydog outlook, ppe standard set @ lvl 1, moog steering, ranch hands, warn 15k winch, 6k hids, 2 10" memphis subs, smoked lights, 17" vision warriors, 285s 'Re-treads', towing mirrors, rhino lined, 75 gallon sliptank/ toolbox combo, cobra night watch cb, pa system, and wilson cell booster.
-2011 Polaris Ranger RZR carbon fiber plastics, functional hood scoops, upgraded tie rods, custom rack and bumper
-2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 competely stock 66k
JSduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

look at the bleeder screw on top of filter housing they are plastic and if tightened to much they will crack mine did the exact same thing i bought a new bleeder screw and problem was solved
Pioneer door speakers and tweeters 7inch double din dvd 2 10' cvr zx750.1 amp
4 inch straight pipe turbo back with 6 inch tip
intake horn mod, afe stage 2 intake
Efi live dsp5-duramax tuner
PPE Stage 5 By Diesel DayDreamshttp://www.performancetruckproducts.com
tonymontana13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

^ mine just did the same thing
2004.5 Chevy CCSB LT2. Black, 6" tuff country ez ride. 35-12.50r16 Toyo MT. AMP Fourty one-2 wheels painted black. Bilstein 5100's. AMP research elec. steps. 4" MBRP Turbo Back w/5" tip. pcv re-route, modded air box, EFI Live! DSP5 powered by Edge insight CTS...EGR blocked. Viper remote start and alarm. Custom built bumper by CountryBoy2500, with 3000k HID's and Hella 500's. 5000k HID's in lows. Raptor lined rocker panels. Tinted to match and tow mirrors. Energy Suspension Poly bushings. 9 speaker J&L audio setup

coming soon..NBS cab lights
Bransjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

sorry to sound like a noob but what is the bottle test and how do i do it?

06 ext cab 2wd drw 462,xxx, New motor with 5k, 3.5 inch downpipe to 4inch straight pipe, 19.5s, Custom towbody, Efi live from www.powerlabsdiesel.com, built tranny, egr delete, airbags, and Edge insight.

Thanks to Gary at diesel pros in Bozeman, MT
Cam at Adrenaline Performance in Shelley, ID
and the guys at powerlabs for tuning.
http://www.Alligatorperformance.com/
Skierbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Just my own 2 cents worth. I had the same exact problem as you did for the last 3 months. This is what I did:
1. Replaced fuel filter housing (brand new housing) - No fix.

2. Replaced rubber fuel lines from housing to FICM - No fix.

3. Found could not attain and hold fuel pressure above 21k psi. Replaced fuel injection pump - could attain full fuel rail pressure but still loose prime over time and hard start. - No fix

4. Finally lifted the bed to find a SEVERELY rusted fuel tank sending unit. Replaced sending unit, fuel cooler, and lines to underneath front door.

FIXED!

Trucks starts on one revolution like it used to and has all kinds of power again.

Noticed your signature picture has snow in it - might be worth a peek at the sending unit....
Kodiak MP
PCV Re-Route
TCAI - Paper AC Delco Filter
EGR Blocked & Sticked
Volant Polished Stainless Turbo Back
Edge CTS Evolution
PPE Race Valve / Ported Fuel Rail Fitting
De-badged - Leveled - Headlight Mod - HID-Synthetic'd - Accesorized...
HOODSLLY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.