Ignition Stuck On... won't turn off..... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Ignition Stuck On... won't turn off.....

Hey guys... On my way to work this morning I noticed my truck was acting funny. The windshield wipers/sterero were dead to the world. My first immediate thought was... a fuse. Well... upon getting to work and backing in my spot... I looked down and noticed my ABS light was on solid, and the brake light next to it was flashing on and off. Now the screwed up part.....

I went to turn the truck off and the ignition is stuck in the run position. It WILL NOT turn backwards to shut off. I'm afraid if I turn too hard that it'll snap the key plumb off. I disconnected the batteries and got the truck to shut off.

But..... what the heck do I do now???
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 05:20 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Slave to the Interwebs

I would mess with the steering wheel. Move it back and forth while trying to turn the ignition off. Or see if you have any play in the column up and down as well. It sounds like it is new ignition time though

06 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 LBZ LOONNGGGGG BED
EXHAUST,EFI LIVE,S&B COLD AIR INTAKE
AUTOMETER GAUGES, TRANSGO JR, BLOCKED, TIE ROD SLEEVES...

WORK RIG
2014 3500 CREW,DUALLY, LML, HARBOR 9' UTILITY BED Bone Freakin Stock
This is not only your forum you have to share it with over 100,000 others
Johnasara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnasara View Post
I would mess with the steering wheel. Move it back and forth while trying to turn the ignition off. Or see if you have any play in the column up and down as well. It sounds like it is new ignition time though
I've tried the whole steering wheel, gear shift lever, everything. I can't get that key to move for the life of me! I'm hoping its just the lock cylinder thats giving fits. Now if I can only figure out how to get the cylinder out!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The problem might be the switch-- the cylinder does not have anything to do with the ignition part. Pull the lower cover from the steering column. The ignition switch is right there--it is held in with a couple plastic tabs-- just pull it down. Then see if you can turn the cylinder.

The key cylinder turns a gear, and that turns a gear in the switch-- to turn ignition and starter on--or off.

The switch has a detent in the on position, so turn ther cylinder to "ON" when you insert the switch back in. That way it will be indexed correctly.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Well, an update. I pulled the switch down out and key would not rotate. I rotated through the selections of the switch with my finger and it seemed to be fine. I connected the battery and even started the truck with my finger on the switch. The key/cylinder still would not turn with the switch down out. I put it all back together and it turned fine a couple times, and then locked in the "on" position again. With the cylinder pulled out of the assembly, I am able to stick a screwdriver back in where the cylinder bottoms out and that portion of everything turns freely too. Uggghhh!!! So aggravating when you NEED your truck tonight and your stuck at work!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

It ended up being the Key Cylinder. Threw a new one in it and its good to go! The little springs that hold the tumblers down for the key were all screwed up, and once it got turned into the "on" position, it was releasing too far and wouldnt turn back.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.