Injectors Balance Rates - WHat is bad? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 10:08 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Injectors Balance Rates - WHat is bad?

2005 DMAX

So; the diesel mechanic says my "balence rates are all over". Replace them all. Loosely they are:

+17 on 1..

a few around +2 ...-2

A few -10

What is the tolerance for injectors? Don't really want to drop 3100 on 8 new ones if I dont have too.

Clint
Cbritt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Bud i really really hope your mechanic doesn't know how to read balance rates, if you have one at +17 and "a few" at -10, I would consider parking the truck until something can be done those are way off...tolerance in park- +/-4.00 in drive +/- 6.00 buy them and do them yourself
gold star of excellence award winner 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraskank View Post
5" = deeper sound. 4" = more of that pissed off two owls havin angry sex dmax sound at WOT.
a proud owner of a pound seven
usafduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 11:16 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

My truck did that with crazy balance rates. I did the ice pick fix on all 8 and they went back to spec. However i had to replace one. Its easy on the lly
2004.5 Chevy CCSB LT2. Black, 6" tuff country ez ride. 35-12.50r16 Toyo MT. AMP Fourty one-2 wheels painted black. Bilstein 5100's. AMP research elec. steps. 4" MBRP Turbo Back w/5" tip. pcv re-route, modded air box, EFI Live! DSP5 powered by Edge insight CTS...EGR blocked. Viper remote start and alarm. Custom built bumper by CountryBoy2500, with 3000k HID's and Hella 500's. 5000k HID's in lows. Raptor lined rocker panels. Tinted to match and tow mirrors. Energy Suspension Poly bushings. 9 speaker J&L audio setup

coming soon..NBS cab lights
Bransjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

^^^very true, lly is easier
gold star of excellence award winner 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraskank View Post
5" = deeper sound. 4" = more of that pissed off two owls havin angry sex dmax sound at WOT.
a proud owner of a pound seven
usafduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 04:52 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Banned

Icepick them all.....

Do the FICM harness repair......

Then reread the balance rates and replace the injector the farthest out. One bad injector will throw all 8 off bc they are trying to balance out the knock created by the bad injector, rarely will you ever have to replace all of them on anything but an lb7 and they just do it bc it is such a PITA...........

That mechanic needs some more education on common rail diesels, you were about to get hosed for 6 or 7 injectors you most likely do not need to replace.........
smokinlmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinlmm View Post
Icepick them all.....

Do the FICM harness repair......

Then reread the balance rates and replace the injector the farthest out. One bad injector will throw all 8 off bc they are trying to balance out the knock created by the bad injector, rarely will you ever have to replace all of them on anything but an lb7 and they just do it bc it is such a PITA...........

That mechanic needs some more education on common rail diesels, you were about to get hosed for 6 or 7 injectors you most likely do not need to replace.........

X2

Icepick all the injector connectors, reinsulate the the FICM harness at the alternator bracket and do the DIY injector cleaning. After that, start by replacing the injector that is the worst, then check balance rates again. Ideally you would first run a compression test on any cylinders with high positive balance rates. The balance rates are relative to each other so if you have a clogged injector or a cylinder with low compression, it will be a high positive rate (ie engine is adding fuel to that cylinder) while the others will typically have negative rates (ie engine is pulling back fuel from those cylinders). So if you make changes or swap out injectors, it is very important to rechack your balance rates again.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Thank you. Yes, the mechanic told me all 8 where bad.. You guys are awesome. I have the truck towed home. (125 bucks) paid the mechanic for 3 hours. 300. COmpression check - all 8 are good.

Yesterday - Put the old injectors back in, and now the truck doesn't even start.

Should I buy an EFI LIVE now? Tired of mechanics that don't know what they are doing on the LLY. Truck is sick. Could be electric Could be injectors.
Cbritt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 05:04 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Banned

Can't hurt...... At least you can do the diagnostics yourself.....

If you aren't building at least 3000 psi of rail pressure the truck is hard to start. You need to check to see how much fuel is returning to the tank also by doing a bottle test of the FPRV when it leaks the rail can not build proper pressure to atomize the fuel when the injectors fire resulting in a no start condition.......

I think you may have a couple problems that are compounding into one.........l
smokinlmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DF Sponsors
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinlmm View Post
If you aren't building at least 3000 psi of rail pressure the truck is hard to start
no, try 1500psi.

-BT DieselWorks, LLC-

Specializing in a wide range of custom electronics and great gadgets for your 2001+ GM full size truck/SUV

Allison torque converter lockup controllers, Allison Tap-Shift kits, digital DSP-5 switches, affordable injector harness repair kits, and much more!

Check out our online store at www.btdieselworks.com and use promo code DMAXFORUM for 5% off all orders!

307.200.9255 - btdieselworks@gmail.com - Be sure to "like" us on Facebook!
duratothemax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.