Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Frozen Wasteland of MN
Stumbled across this in a DuraMax tech manual which you may find interesting. But sounds like one needs a Tech 2 tool or equivalent.
Turbocharger Learn Procedure
The turbocharger (TC) learns the vane position automatically during each ignition cycle. The engine control module (ECM) performs the turbocharger learn procedure automatically when the enable critera are met. After each ignition cycle, and before the enable criteria has been met, the ECM will use the previously learned value. If the ECM does not have a previously learned, it will default to a stored calibrated value. The ECM will use this value until the enable criteria have been met. It will then perform this procedure to learn the new value. If the ECM attempts to perform the learn procedure and fails, the DTC P0046 or P2563 may set.
The turbocharger learn procedure must be performed manually with a Tech 2 when any turbocharger system service has been performed. Certain enable criteria must be met for the ECM to perform this procedure.
The turbocharger learn procedure is required when the following service procedures have been performed.
• The turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve replacement
• The turbocharger vane position sensor replacement
• The engine control module replacement
• The turbocharger replacement
• Any service that disturbs the turbocharger components
IMPORTANT: Once the enable conditions have been met the throttle must remain at idle. Do not change the accelerator pedal position (APP) during this procedure.
1. The following conditions must be met for the ECM to perform the turbocharger learn procedure:
a. The A/C is OFF.
b. The vehicle is in Park or Neutral.
c. Stat and idle the engine.
d. The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 40C (104F)
2. After the enable conditions have been met and the engine is stabilized, enter the TC Learn OutPut function from the Engine Control Menu. Command the TC Vane Position Sensor ON for at least 5 seconds, then command it OFF. The system should have learned the new turbocharger position. The TC Leaned parameter should have toggled from No to Yes.
Hope this helps,
'05 GMC Sierra CCLB
4" MBRP Exhaust no CAT
EFILive w/ DSP5: 310, 340 tow, 360 tow, 400, and 530 HP tunes.
LBZ Turbo Throat kit from DuramaxTuners.com
Summit Racing 105 GPH Lift Pump w/ check valve bypass (Check Valve obtained from McMaster-Carr part # 7768K58, Medium Pressure Brass Check Valve, 1/2" NPT Male X 1/2" Male NPT Fluroelastomer seal).