Engine idle vibration...need help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Engine idle vibration...need help

Hey guys so I have a 2004.5 LLY with ppe standard set on level 4, CAI, straight pipe exhaust. Since last week I have been having a vibration while the truck is running at idle. The vibratin does not change if the truck is in drive, park, neutral, or reverse. As soon as I rev the engine it smooths out. The truck has approx 75k on it and the tuner has been on it for quite a while so I'm fairly sure it is not the tune. The vibration seems to improve slightly when it gets up to normal temp but it is still there. I first noticed it last week when I came to a stop at a red light. I also put it in neutral while the truck was rolling to a stop and the vibration came back once the it came to idle rpm while I was still rolling.

Other than at idle I have no smoke or anything other than the vibration. Power is still great and fuel economy has not changed. I used the PPE to check the injector balance rates but I'm definitely not an expert and as far asi could tell all of the injectors were showing similar numbers within +/- .5 roughly. I have done a lot of research and I am leaning towards replacing the fuel pressure regulator but I would like to hear from all of you guys to see if I'm heading down the right path. The truck is my primary means of trasportation and I am concerned about continuing to drive it. I also do not have any codes being thrown and like I said before other than the vibration the truck is running exactly the way it has since I tuned it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
CAI
PPE standard on level 4
Johnvirgil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

To clarify, if my post was confusing, I do not have any smoke at idle. And while at idle, with the vibration, there is no surging and the idle appears to be faily steady. The vibration comes and goes as the turbo cycles. I'm not sure exactly what the turbo does while it is cycling or if that is the right term but I believe it is the turbo vains changing position. So the vibration wille be present for a second or two then the turbo will cycle and the vibration will go away and then come back when the turbo cycles back.

I hope that makes more sense and hopefully you guys can help me ASAP before I buy the $180 fuel pressure regulator. Thanks!
CAI
PPE standard on level 4
Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Also I have changed fuel filter and ran diesel kleen through two tanks of fuel. Anyone have advice?
CAI
PPE standard on level 4
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Few comments

1) Please post a pic of your balance rates in both park and drive
2) Check your actual vs demand rail pressure at idle with the PPE if you can and let us know what you see
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I have an 05 and it sounds like I had the same issue. Bought a sinister egr delete kit and it fixed all the vibrating idle issues. When I pulled the egr it was filthy and all over the passenger side of the block the egr was leaking black gunk everywhere.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Thanks for your replies...I will check the injector balance rates and fuel pressure info tonight and post the results. I am planning on doing the EGR block/delete soon as well. I have noticed that today, since the weather has warmed up to about 40 degrees the truck seems to be vibrating less as it did earlier this week and last week when it was about 30 degrees. Thanks for all the help and I will post the other info ASAP.
CAI
PPE standard on level 4
Old 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The PPE does not check balance rates-- Just shows injector pulse width.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

So if the PPE does not show the injector balance rates will the info that it does display be helpful in diagnosing my possible problem? Or should I take the truck in to a shop and have them give me the balance rates and actual/desired fuel pressure? I believe the PPE does display the actual and desired fuel pressure. I will get all the info I can off the PPE tonight and thanks for all your responses.
CAI
PPE standard on level 4
Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

you need to find someone with a v2 or tech 2 to check those perematers for you, or go to to a dealership and they will
Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnvirgil View Post
So if the PPE does not show the injector balance rates will the info that it does display be helpful in diagnosing my possible problem? Or should I take the truck in to a shop and have them give me the balance rates and actual/desired fuel pressure? I believe the PPE does display the actual and desired fuel pressure. I will get all the info I can off the PPE tonight and thanks for all your responses.

The pulse widths can still help indicate an issue, post them up if you can get them (both drive and park).
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.