LLY overheating? Read This! - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 AM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryk View Post
Is the loss of boost pressure due to the EGR being pushed opened or just the valve leaking (but seated)?

Could be either case but in order to keep EGTs down you need to get as much air in there as possible (ie boost pressure) and the EGR is working against you in that respect if it blows open or leaks.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 03:16 AM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer837 View Post
I did not intend for this to an aux cooler vs oil cooler discussion. Both have had positive results. I am currently working on a project that will address both. The other mods like tranny coolers, cai's, turbo MP's, tuning, deleted cats etc will improve longevity, driveability and may help coolant temps and oil temps some but they have nowhere near the effect that direct cooling on either fliud.

You are correct Mtl in that oil and coolant temps are not the only issues to be addressed. They are just the most in your face issues at first.

Joe, can't wait to see what you come up with for addressing both oil and coolant solutions.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 AM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I added aem intake , afe blade runner turbo mp and 4 inch mbrp exhaust and down pipe and noooooo problems. (knocking on coffee table )
Diesel lineman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL_Dmax View Post
Could be either case but in order to keep EGTs down you need to get as much air in there as possible (ie boost pressure) and the EGR is working against you in that respect if it blows open or leaks.
From what I am reading, leaking seems to be more of a problem than being forced open. I might as well remove mine and see how it looks after 91k.
terryk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lineman View Post
I added aem intake , afe blade runner turbo mp and 4 inch mbrp exhaust and down pipe and noooooo problems. (knocking on coffee table )
Depending on your application, you may not. There are many factors affecting overheating in our trucks including application. Many people tow at max gvw in stock trucks without overheating, the just tow very slowly. Some trucks overheat more easily than others and some see higher temps in the upper end and some see higher temps in the lower end.

The best thing you can do is be diligent about monitoring all fluid temps and make adjustments as necessary. Don't waste money on fixes you don't need. Use that money to take the Mrs. out once in a while so she'll let you buy the "fixes" you want.
Mods: Secondary Cooling System with fan and shroud, Larger custom main radiator equipped with heat exchangers for oil and tranny fluids, larger transmission cooler, custom larger lower panel, KD custom ECM, EGR blocker, Sun Coast ram air hood, Air Raid intake, AFE turbo MP and downpipe back exhaust, 75Gallon aux tank, Air bags, 2" leveling keys with Rancho shocks, 33x12.5x18" toyo tires, Bully Dog stage 1 shift kit, Merchant Automotive pump rub plate.
Engineer837 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I bought killer bee"s Intake kit. I does help the engine breath better. When I was towing my 14000# toy hauler there was no point in going over 2400 rpm. Engine didnt make any more power just noise. After the installe it would pull hard all the way to redline. I never overheated but the the fan ran all the time. Full lock up on the clutch fan. My intake temps at the MAF would read 160 degreas or higher. Rember the fan takes a lot of power to run. Then I installed Joes radiator on my my GMC. Now when pulling my 14000# parachute (LOL) the fan rarely runs. When it engages it is only for a minute or 2. I am happy I did this mode.
dlhovland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:30 PM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)
backwoods legit
Lifetime Supporting Member

dude all ya need is nos...fog yer radiator instead of yer intercooler
Old 11-22-2012, 09:01 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)

i really wish someone had more definite proven repair/improvement for the fan clutch noise nightmare. If I wanted to drive 20 hours sounding like a MAC truck, I would have purchased one. The first time it happened it scared the belt loops off my new jeans! I had no clue what had happened. I am now not looking forward to towing ever again, even though this year coming up will be the reason i purchased the truck in the first place... lots of towing my enclosed car hauler.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:57 AM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Has anyone tried the larger intercooler pipes. Just curious
Diesel lineman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 AM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)
backwoods legit
Lifetime Supporting Member

how heavy is the trailer loaded? at the bear minimum you should do the mouthpiece mod, be it the LBZ or the aFe.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.