broke down. Need help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 04:55 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

broke down. Need help

I just got to my sisters house and the truck is broke. I'm just visiting her tonight but I don't think the truck is going any farther. It has a miss to it under power. In idle free rev it'sfine. Balance rates in spec. No more than 2.9 +/- which I'm told is good. No smoke, codes just a bad miss under power. Kinda sounds like a rod knock but oil psi is fine. Freerev is fine. Drivetrain. Help. Needto figure out now or it's going to the dealer in the morning. I'm in Visalia CA if anyone is near by or knows somebody.

Thanks
Mike
2004.5 CCLB. 2500HD. LLY. 2WD. Black. Loaded with leather. Headrest DVD system. Curt 20K Fifth Wheel, Gooseneck, Leveled Tow Mirrors, Edge CS, Chrome nerf bars. K&N CAI. Diamond plate aluminum RV chest. Kodiak MP, Cobra CB, LIL WIL antennea.

SOLD
mcrotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Have you done the ice pick fix?
Built Front End
Supporting Mods
andy-stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I did it and it threw a code. That was about a month ago. 8k miles ago.
2004.5 CCLB. 2500HD. LLY. 2WD. Black. Loaded with leather. Headrest DVD system. Curt 20K Fifth Wheel, Gooseneck, Leveled Tow Mirrors, Edge CS, Chrome nerf bars. K&N CAI. Diamond plate aluminum RV chest. Kodiak MP, Cobra CB, LIL WIL antennea.

SOLD
Old 11-18-2012, 05:33 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Have you tried doing it again? It's really just a temporary fix
Built Front End
Supporting Mods
andy-stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Won't it throw a code again? Thing sounds like a rod knock but thats not what it is. Could an injector sound like that? Not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but I have some slack in the rear end or trans because when I come to a stop and take off again there is some slack in there. Accelerating under power it still smooth I think. Honestly can't remember now. Pretty worried about ti. My work truck with limited funds to fix it. Was supposed to pick up a trailer in Bakersfield tommorow and take it to L.A. but thats not happening now.

SOLD
Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Does it feel like its missing on 2 cylinders, sounds like the ice pick trick is needed again. also go out and try it after its cooled down, a friend of mine does that. more common when its warm. give the connection a wiggle when its running, you'll know right away. I've scene him back up to a sled, pop the hood wiggle wires and then pull it down the track. Its fixed now... lol

Good luck man
BD R850
80 over nozzles
duel fueler
stage 5 suncoast
Thanks to Kirk for intercooler piping and Motorhead Garage for all the work!
farmtrucklb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Well I will try ice pick in the morning. Atleast I made it to my sisters but I am going to miss a trailer haul [ I transport rv trailers ]. Not good for me. I need this thing fixed now. Gotta make it home for thankgiving. So I'll try the pick before the dealer. Anybody else got something to add.

This is an emergency to me.

Thanks

SOLD
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

whats the permenant injector fix?

SOLD
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Be sure you check this------

At the side of the alternator there is the FICM harness tied down with a Zip tie. Cut the tie and pull the wires from the harness and inspect for cuts and wear. The sharp corner of the FICM bracket where it is tied down to, cuts into the wires. Repair and insulate the harness with a short piece of heater hose.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I did check the loom when I did the ice pick fix a month ago. I wiggled the injector wires and no change.

I just drove it this morning and at first it drove fine but after some warm up it started up again. I got it back to my sisters and read a code. No check engine light though.

I got a code. PO700. Transmission control modual. Could that make a miss/rod knock sound? Remember the rod knock is just my sound discription.

SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.