updating heads on an lly? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

updating heads on an lly?

So I am pretty sure I have a leaking head gasket on my 05 with only 80k. I have herd there was a problem with the lly's warping heads? My question is... If I pay the 5k to have this fixed what are the chances of it happening again in another 80k or so? And can I have the heads updated to a better head and if so how much more will i be looking price wise? Thanks all!
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Just take them to machine shop for inpection, use grade C new headgaskets and ARP headstuds. Then u should be set bud.
4'' Exhaust, Airdog, Traction Bars, Built Front End,
Big Thanks to Henry and Scott
01' LB7 EC/SB 13.5@97 230k

EFILive by me, Grade C HG, ARP studs,
4 in duals, S@B intake, Airdog, PPE boost valve, BT lock up box on stock trans
SickLL7Crenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I am hoping the prob is with the EGR but knowing my luck it probley a head:-(
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

What's the symptoms and what does the truck have on it as of modifications?? Is the coolant system pressurizing? Just trying to narrow it down for you.
4'' Exhaust, Airdog, Traction Bars, Built Front End,
Big Thanks to Henry and Scott
01' LB7 EC/SB 13.5@97 230k

EFILive by me, Grade C HG, ARP studs,
4 in duals, S@B intake, Airdog, PPE boost valve, BT lock up box on stock trans
SickLL7Crenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

Form what I hear, head studs seem to solve the issue.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES AND DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Bypass the EGR coolant hose first, then if you still have issues it's probably your HG's. If you do the HG's be sure to have the heads pressure tested and checked for flatness, do a valve job (w/seals), use grade C HG's and ARP studs and the issue should be gone for good......good to change the water pump while you're in there too.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Thanks all! yes my cooling sys is pressurizing. no white smoke, no over heating issues. just puking coolant out the over flow bottle. the valve or whatever it is called is going to the turbo looks ok. iv noticed even after not running the truck for over 48 hours when i unscrew the overflow cap there is still quite a bit of pressure. I spoke with a tech here locally and he said he has done quite a few of these 05 dura's and the its a common problem with the HG's on # 5 and 7 cylinders. He told me he would replace them with the ARP studs, EGR delete, have the heads checked, all for around 3800.00 from what i have researched that seems to be a pretty good deal. He said he would do an actual diag on it before replacing them though. and thanks for the tip on having the water pump replaced while I am at it.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

mods on the truck are MBRP 5" turbo back. Bully Dog GT tuner, Air raid intake, and i believe that's about it.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I haven't seen anyone comment about the heads themselves being an issue. It's the crappy gaskets and insufficient clamping force. Better gaskets and studs seem to solve the problem although it appears stock bolts with good gaskets hold up well if you aren't pushing the power with a programmer. I will likely do studs if and when my gaskets go even though I don't run a programmer. That said, not all LLYs loose their gaskets. There are a ton of LLY's out there without the problem but we only hear about the failures.
terryk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by varaho_69 View Post
Thanks all! yes my cooling sys is pressurizing. no white smoke, no over heating issues. just puking coolant out the over flow bottle. the valve or whatever it is called is going to the turbo looks ok. iv noticed even after not running the truck for over 48 hours when i unscrew the overflow cap there is still quite a bit of pressure. I spoke with a tech here locally and he said he has done quite a few of these 05 dura's and the its a common problem with the HG's on # 5 and 7 cylinders. He told me he would replace them with the ARP studs, EGR delete, have the heads checked, all for around 3800.00 from what i have researched that seems to be a pretty good deal. He said he would do an actual diag on it before replacing them though. and thanks for the tip on having the water pump replaced while I am at it.

That's pretty reasonable (ARP studs and EGR delete included) so if you don't do it yourself I would take him up on that. I would try and get him to do the water pump (TIG welded) at the same time while he's got the motor all torn down already. I would also switch over to EFI because the BullyDog may be part of the reason why the HG's went on your truck.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater

Last edited by MTL_Dmax; 11-24-2012 at 03:41 AM.
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.