Terrible Fuel Mileage on my 2004 LLY - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Angry Terrible Fuel Mileage on my 2004 LLY

I am having terrible mileage on my 04 LLY. By terrible I mean I am averaging 10.5MPG city. My truck has 341,000km with a LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, AFE Stage 2 Intake, 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, EGR Delete/Blocker. Fuel Filter is new, the Fuel pressure regulator is new as well.

I need to get this issue dealt with ASAP. I sold my '01 5.3L Gas because I have a camper to haul now. I was getting 500Km to a tank with a 6" Lift and 35" tires with my gas truck, and now with stock size wheels on my '04 LLY I am barely getting 400km to a tank.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! I had a boost leak which I have since fixed, but it only added an extra 10km per tank... There are no other boost leaks.

P.S. Wasn't sure exactly where to post this, re-locate if necessary.
Sinister EGR Delete w/ Finger Stick, 4" Straight Pipe, LBZ turbo mouth piece, PCV Re-route, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Dual Red-Top Optima Batteries, Superchips Tuner, EDGE Jw/A CS, Iron Cross Push-Bar Front Bumper, 17" Eagle Alloy rims with Toyo Open Country Highway Terrains, 2 Post Extending Tow Mirrors, Escalade Colour Matched Door Handles
Soon to come: 6" Lift, 16" American Racing Rally Rims with 35" Toyo Open Country All-Terrains, Iron Cross Rear Bumper, LED Flood Lighting under doors + Reverse light Flood Lights, 18000lbs Warn Winch, Lots of KC Lights
16DIRTY-MAX16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I'd check the air filter, the MAF sensor and for any fuel leaks, see if the injectors have leaking..
Built Front End
Supporting Mods
andy-stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Ask one to be one

Clean the mas air sensor.

2010 GMC Sierra CC SB 4X4 Cognito 6" lift and 315/70/17 ATP Tuned!!

2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4 (wifes) Zone lift set close to 4" 305/70/17's Hankook Dyna Pro RF-10 ATM
usafracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:13 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Vanned this place

What tires and wheels are on it, psi too?

How long have you been checking or how long have you had this truck ?

What is the outside air temp are you idleing a lot and are you using block heater and grille cover for faster warmups?
TheStepChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Air Filter is a brand new AFE Cone filter. I will clean the Mass Air sensor, and see what happens, as well as check for fuel leaks and let you know. I know there are no fuel leaks anywhere outside of the engine, but I will check the injectors. I have a set of 17" Eagle Alloy rims with 245/70R17 I believe. I am running them at 50PSI front and 70PSI rear. I have been using my block heater to speed up the warm-up and I don't idle very much. I have had the truck for 2 months.
Sinister EGR Delete w/ Finger Stick, 4" Straight Pipe, LBZ turbo mouth piece, PCV Re-route, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Dual Red-Top Optima Batteries, Superchips Tuner, EDGE Jw/A CS, Iron Cross Push-Bar Front Bumper, 17" Eagle Alloy rims with Toyo Open Country Highway Terrains, 2 Post Extending Tow Mirrors, Escalade Colour Matched Door Handles
Soon to come: 6" Lift, 16" American Racing Rally Rims with 35" Toyo Open Country All-Terrains, Iron Cross Rear Bumper, LED Flood Lighting under doors + Reverse light Flood Lights, 18000lbs Warn Winch, Lots of KC Lights
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Checking for brakes hanging up wouldnt hurt either. Jack up each wheel and see if you can spin the wheel freely. You will have to raise both rear wheels at the same time.

-Edge Evolution CTS
-MBRP 4" w/ 5"tip
-Banks Ram Air
-35w AGT 6000k HID's
-5% tint allaround
-285/75R16 Michelin LTX A/T 2s
-340k miles and counting
-Daily Driver
duramaxallison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Alright, I will check all that this evening. And to correct I have 265/70R 17
Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

How do you check leaking injectors... My truck went form 15-16 in town to 10 in town.. air filter and fule filter are good.

www.performancetruckproducts.com
95 Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Z71 View Post
How do you check leaking injectors... My truck went form 15-16 in town to 10 in town.. air filter and fule filter are good.
Have return rates checked or check for fuel in oil.

-Edge Evolution CTS
-MBRP 4" w/ 5"tip
-Banks Ram Air
-35w AGT 6000k HID's
-5% tint allaround
-285/75R16 Michelin LTX A/T 2s
-340k miles and counting
-Daily Driver
duramaxallison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I think i olny get around 12-13 in town but thats unloaded and all stop and go usually never over 30mph. what are your highway numbers looking like?

(Sold) 2001 chevy 2500HD ecsb LB7 4x4,Pewter, 6" lift, 20" mazzi hulks and 325/60/20 terra grapplers, banks intake,MBRP 4" exhaust,PPE boost increase valve,insight CTS, and EFI by tyler at Punisher Performance.
smokinu454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.