Water Pump question... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Water Pump question...

Ok i know that my 05 has a water pump that it's known for going out. My truck has told me I've had low coolant 3 times in the past 2 months. At first i didn't really assume there was a leak but now after a night of being parked in the driveway I'm seeing about a 6 inch wet spot. I see that it's not leaking much but i still need to fix the problem. My question is, why do the lly water pumps go out more than say a lbz or a lmm etc? And when i replace the pump, do i buy one from the auto parts store or is there an upgraded one where i won't have to do this again? Usually there is a solution and not just another pump that's going to go out in 50k... Anyone's advice appreciated.

05 lly Bully dog for towing and performance tunes. 4" exhaust 172k

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Afe Turbo Mouthpiece
Edge Insight with probe to monitor everything.

and don't forget one heavy right foot...
01BigD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
كافر
Lifetime Supporting Member

My water pump started leaking out of the weep hole at 130K.

I thought all OBS water pumps were alike?
LBZ CCSB 4x4. sealed. blocked. re-routed. shimmed. EFI by Kory 4" MBRP downpipe-back. Alligator trans cooler hoses. 3" Pro-Fab downpipe. Transgo Jr. Banks ram air intake. MA pump rub fix. Rare Parts tie rods. Fumoto Valve. AirDog 150. Nicktane CAT filter adapter.

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6 View Post
You know the real problem is not Obama
It's the millions who put him in office and twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Smith
"When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."
ty_LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Idk but i want to know why they go out? I hear people changing them with Less than 50k. I know things wear out but still.

Afe Turbo Mouthpiece

Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I really hope I'll only have to do this one time so if there is an upgraded water pump and someone would show me where to get one that would be great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Afe Turbo Mouthpiece

Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BigD View Post
Ok i know that my 05 has a water pump that it's known for going out. My truck has told me I've had low coolant 3 times in the past 2 months. At first i didn't really assume there was a leak but now after a night of being parked in the driveway I'm seeing about a 6 inch wet spot. I see that it's not leaking much but i still need to fix the problem. My question is, why do the lly water pumps go out more than say a lbz or a lmm etc? And when i replace the pump, do i buy one from the auto parts store or is there an upgraded one where i won't have to do this again? Usually there is a solution and not just another pump that's going to go out in 50k... Anyone's advice appreciated.

05 lly Bully dog for towing and performance tunes. 4" exhaust 172k

Make sure you get a good pump I got an A.C. Telco pump and I'm running twins and have had no problem in the 2 years the pump has been on.

Sent from a black cloud and the smell of burnt rubber
04 CCSB LB7 IIs483 over IIs366,carillos,cut and coated lb7 slugs,ported heads,RDL downpipe uppipes manifolds ,efi live with dsp5,Big Dipper stage 4,4 inch out the back, ram air keystone hood,US Speedoo fox racing shocks cluster,rolling on hummers,and wraped in silverbirch. And some wicked tunning from Bo-Bo (Bob Olson)
11.64 @117
Originally Posted by hllbllylmsne
Sounds like you screwed up the seat to steering wheel linkage, no real fix for it, sorry
blacksmokelb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Very few water pumps go out under 100k miles. Parts do wear out.

I replaced the waterpump on my LLY, when I did the head gaskets at 95k miles. Neither had a problem. I called it preventive maintenance.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1843 View Post
Very few water pumps go out under 100k miles. Parts do wear out.

I replaced the waterpump on my LLY, when I did the head gaskets at 95k miles. Neither had a problem. I called it preventive maintenance.
Ok well i can afford a water pump right now being i am only 20 and in college so funds are kinda tight but i checked my upper house this morning and it wasn't firm. I've read that if it was it was prob hg.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Afe Turbo Mouthpiece

Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Order the water pump from merchant auto. They tig weld the propeller to the pressed shaft. The reason I think they go us because they are gear driven all that motor vibration is absorbed in those O rings and eventually wear em out that's my thoughts. If u have questions about replacing it hit me up I've gotten pretty darn quick at them
bigruss1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.