Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Fuel system losing prime

10K views 74 replies 22 participants last post by  Blackcloud556 
#1 ·
I recently installed a Cat fuel filter & adapter from alligator performance. Since the install, if the truck sits for a few hours, I have to pump the primer on the filter head to get it to start. I'm not leaking any fuel anywhere. Any ideas what could be causing this?

#46 ·
i just had the same problem! worked fine for about 3 days, then wouldnt start. put the old filter on and it worked. call elligator performance and they said to call back next week and they will hook me up with a new one.

#49 ·
so everyone that posted in here with an issue have the red ones? I've got 3k miles on my black one purchased in mid October and haven't had an issue. I bought one for my uncle more recently like early November again black and haven't installed yet.

#50 ·
It would be nice to know what the machining error actually was on this "bad batch" but glad they are taking care of everyone on this.

#52 ·
Thanks for all the info koho! I will definately be giving ADP a call in a bit. Oh and revrida04ss i have the red one as well.

#53 ·
I got this from David at ADP today...

If you check the top side of the filter adapter you should see a raise in the center that will push the check ball up. If you do not have the raise then I would suggest removing the check ball. To remove the check ball you will have two small torx screws to take out and remove the cover holding the check ball and spring. Once you remove those two items reinstall the cover and tighten the screws in.
This should take care of any issues you may have.
If you have any other questions let me know.
Thank you.

Seems logical, but I understand some guys have removed the check and are still having the issue....

#55 ·
I got this from David at ADP today...

If you check the top side of the filter adapter you should see a raise in the center that will push the check ball up. If you do not have the raise then I would suggest removing the check ball. To remove the check ball you will have two small torx screws to take out and remove the cover holding the check ball and spring. Once you remove those two items reinstall the cover and tighten the screws in.
This should take care of any issues you may have.
If you have any other questions let me know.
Thank you.

Seems logical, but I understand some guys have removed the check and are still having the issue....

Actually it doesn't seem logical because the checkball is there to keep the lines from losing prime so removing it would help with fuel flow on the top end but would aggravate any loss of prime issues. Combine that with the fact that people are having issues regardless of whether or not the checkball is there or not and things still don't add up. That's not the cause IMHO.

#54 ·
From what I remember the black ones should be fine as I beleive those are from on older run. I remember them saying something about all the new ones would be red from here on out. Thats not to say they are the "only" ones for sure. If your having issues I would just give them a call its quick and easy Oh and painless I promise lol

#62 ·
we are not 100% sure. there is hundreds with no problems and a handful with issues. On a few that we got back as defective i was unable to duplicate the issues with. And since i will not point blame at the end user I decided to suspend all sales of adapters and issue a full refund to anybody who experienced problems. At this time we have brought on a new machine shop and are going through extensive testing to eliminate problems.

But i want to apologize to anybody who has had problems, that we are working on correcting them, and to be patient and we will get you fixed.

#57 · (Edited)
Yeah hand on face.I was changing the bosses filter at work and was rushing/nervous because he was waching over my shoulder.I forgot to put the o ring back on the filter and when I primed it it didn't leak. I stop for a second and see the o ring in the filter box.hand on head lol. Bang o Ring in and trucked fired after a couple primes.Doesnt madder how many times u do something mistakes can happen.not going to help but fun

#59 ·
I think it's something in the threads or the seal because when i walk up to my truck and smell diesel it always needs primed. I'm on my second red adaptor still same problem. We even tryed drilling out the center of the adaptor and removing the ball like the nictane. No luck. I think something in the treads is not square with the sealing surface

#60 ·
I think it's something in the threads or the seal because when i walk up to my truck and smell diesel it always needs primed. I'm on my second red adaptor still same problem. We even tryed drilling out the center of the adaptor and removing the ball like the nictane. No luck. I think something in the treads is not square with the sealing surface

If your filter head isn't rebuildable anymore, then you can always just get a new one (P/N 12642623).

#61 ·
I have the Nicktane adapter... I had the problem of loosing prime and couldn't figure out why it was happening everytime i started the truck... so i tightened it more with a filter wrench and it fixed the problem.... for 3 months i haven't had the problem till a few days ago when I went to start the truck in 3*F weather and it lost prime again... but I'm sure that was due to the cold and the O-rings shrinking in the filter head... with 300K im sure i probably need to rebuild it.... headed back down to Phoenix where the warmer weather is and hasn't happened again....

PS I did remove the check ball.

#63 ·
so has anyone confirmed the issue with this. I am also having the identical problem with mine. I took it apart studied it cleaned it oiled each o ring but still gave same results. fire up and die after 5 seconds or so. the bad is could it be leaking internal and letting particles get to the injectors. I also replaced all rubber fuel lines and a filter head rebuild.

#67 ·
yes, its a known problem. rebuilding your head or replacing lines will not fix it.

either they work out of the box or they do not.

we can issue you a full refund for the part or you can hang onto it and swap it out when ever we come out with a replacement if you would like. Either way we have admitted there is a problem and are taking steps to correct it.

#64 ·
Subscribed

#72 ·
do you guys think it may be because some of the filter heads where not perfect causing some to work and some not to work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.