Engine Problem?! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Engine Problem?!

Here's the deal. My truck has been making an odd, quick, repetitive "thumping/rattling" kind of sound while going down the road. I have heard it at anywhere from 40-75 mph. I hear it most of the time going down the interstate and it fades in then fades out to running completely smooth, then back again for about 5 seconds or so. I can feel it reverberate into the cab and it seems to be getting worse. This has been going on for several weeks. The truck starts and seems to run fine at this point. The CEL came on this morning and I took to the parts store to have the code read and P0299 turbo underboost and P0181 fuel temp sensor came up. The P0299 had come up the day I bought the truck because I was trying the different tunes of my EFILive on the way home. I called the previous owner and he stated that it was nothing but the tuning not blocking out that code on the factory tune. I got the tunes updated and everything has been fine for almost a year. I seriously think the turbo is going out, but I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination and my mind is wandering, fearing the worst. Can anyone help a brother out and give me some advise or direction with this?
04.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT LLY, 4X4 CCSB, Bill's Custom Intake Stage 4, S&B Powerstack filter,LBZ MP, 4" turbo downpipe into 5" exhaust, 7" MBRP tip, EFI Live w/ dsp5, Resonator plug, PVC rerouted and plugged, level kit, 33" BFG's, all-on mod
7-6-2011
Head Gaskets, ARP Headstuds, Full EGR Delete, Aftermarket exhaust manifold, Race Valve, CTS INSIGHT
Coming soon:
AIR DOG II Lift Pump, Smoked tail Lights, Smoked cab clearance lights, Lift kit, and Built trans.
POWERTRIP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 05:36 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

how many miles are on it
-MBRP 4" duals
-7.5 HD Fisher plow
-188k miles
-Amsoil
chevyplowtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyplowtruck View Post
how many miles are on it
04.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT LLY, 4X4 CCSB, Bill's Custom Intake Stage 4, S&B Powerstack filter,LBZ MP, 4" turbo downpipe into 5" exhaust, 7" MBRP tip, EFI Live w/ dsp5, Resonator plug, PVC rerouted and plugged, level kit, 33" BFG's, all-on mod
7-6-2011
Head Gaskets, ARP Headstuds, Full EGR Delete, Aftermarket exhaust manifold, Race Valve, CTS INSIGHT
Coming soon:
AIR DOG II Lift Pump, Smoked tail Lights, Smoked cab clearance lights, Lift kit, and Built trans.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

UPDATE: I figured it out! I took it into a local deisel shop and had one of the mechanics ride with me and as soon as he heard it, he said, "It's definitely NOT your turbo. It's your wheel bearing on the front passenger side." How relieved was I to hear that! I was able to find a wheel bearing hub kit for $160 with a 5 year warranty and replaced it myself. The shop said they would charge me one hour labor and it wound up taking me about 3, but only because I put the damned dust shield on backwards and had to take it all back apart again. Oh well. Also this was the first wheel bearing hub that I ever replaced. It was very easy to do and I am VERY glad it's fixed!!!!!
7-6-2011
Coming soon:
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Makes you feel good that you were able to fix it yourself..
Deere1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.