Pressure in cooling system - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Pressure in cooling system

My 04.5 LLY is running fine, does not overheat, but even if I let it sit overnight and crank it cold, let it run for about a minute then shut it off, I have to slowly crack open the top on the coolant resevoir slowly. It is building enough pressure just from running a minute that I have to take my time taking the cap off to keep it from blowing the top off and blowing out the coolant from the resevoir.

If I drive it and get it up to running temp it will just start forcing it out of the overflow tube onto the ground. What would cause it to build up this much pressure? Cracked head? Blown head gasket? Causing compression to get into the cooling system and build pressure? That is what my 99 Trans Am did. Thats the only thing I can figure. Any help or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks. And Merry CHRISTmas.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 10:35 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Sounds like your head gasket(s) are blown. I'm sure others will chime in too though. Good time to do studs!!!
My First Truck: 1990 Chevy 1500 sport reg cab 4x2 5.SP Man with 4.3v6. A High Perf. 350 is in the works someday
BlackBetty06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty06 View Post
Sounds like your head gasket(s) are blown. I'm sure others will chime in too though. Good time to do studs!!!
X 2. If it sits overnight, is the upper radiator hose rock hard in the morning? That's another indication of HG's.
ByrdDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 12:01 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Yup have the same issue it's defiantly the head gaskets.
Efi live dsp5 switch, snow performance methanol kit,raptor 165 pump,southend 3250 dual disk,k&n intake,4" straight pipe exhaust,billet tie rods,18" motto wheels,275 nittio a/t grapplers ,traction bars,stock turbo,stock tranny,stock cp3 and injectors
38bulley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 12:06 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Join the club, i have pretty much the same problem. will be doing more than a few upgrades while im that deep into the engine
-Sinister EGRD
-LBZ turbo MP/resonator plug
-EFILive dsp5(IdahoRob)
-4" lift sitting on Toyo open country M/T 35's

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."
-Albert Einstein
bryant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 12:08 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
AKA 01 D_Max

It sounds like Head Gaskets. It's not uncommon for a LLY to get a blown gasket. It also might be the radiator cap but I doubt it, because it builds pressure so fast. It should only build pressure from the heat.

Or call us... 920-765-1615

SOLD
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CC,SB
EFI Live V2 w/dsp5 MAX EFFORT by Idaho Rob,
EGT's Never higher than 1150*
Cognito Braces, and ATP Sleeves, BD Manifold, ARP H.Studs, M.P. mod, MA Aluminum Bleeder, PPE Boost Valve, Banks Ram Air- Intercooler, FASS 150, LBZ FPR, Shimmed FPRV, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust w/6"tip, Corsa Muffler
@180,000-New injectors from Lincoln Diesel, CAT Adapter/filter/spacer

Air Lift, Bilstein Shocks, Leveling Kit, Recon LED tail lights & over cab lights, 20" Forged Aluminum WELD Racing Rims, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Aaron@LDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 01:20 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

How much would I be looking at to replace the gaskets?
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 02:10 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

book time is about 35 hours of labor. Plus parts--gaskets [$200]and new bolts--[$100] most use studs-[$600]. Should also consider replacing the water pump-- if it is original.

Yes, you have a bad head gasket-- Sorry.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.