Looking at buying an lly but... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Looking at buying an lly but...

Im not sure of a few things. Ive done alot of reading on here and still not sure wat to do. The truck is an 05 lly ccsb 4wd 198k it worrys me tho because it is bone stock and smokes like its tuned way up! It black smokes at all times... It also shakes the hole truck when it idles but only part of the time. Has some fuel knock also which sounds terrible is there no way to get rid of any of that? I guess my question is where do i start to begin to know wat is wrong with this truck to fix the rough idle and constant black smoke? It seems to run ok other than the periodic idle issue and its still getting good fuel milage. It belongs to a buddy and im driving it to fig out wats wrong ang wether i wanna buy it or not but im not sure at this point. Its already had a cp3 and 2 new injectors at the dealer to try to fix this problem w no luck. And i bleed the fuel system and did get a little air and the fuel knock got better but still not gone.. Bleeding the fuel system did seem to get rid of a high rpm surge the truck had when you had your foot in it. Its a nice truck id like to have it and down size from my lbz one ton but not sure if this trucks worth it any ideas? Thanks
TubbedTruck67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 11:30 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Don't. Unless it's too good of a deal to pass on.

Check the air filter, make sure it's clean and put on properly.
Check for loose intercooler boots or any other boost leaks in the system.
My guess is you may also have a chance that the egr valve is stuck open.

Hope that give you a starting point.
jacobdewey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
it stinks and whistles :)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Check the ficm harness around the alternator bracket for chafing

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
rare parts gen2, bilstein 5100s, all season brace,
merchant pump rub fix, drp trans cooler lines,
air dogII 165
http://performancetruckproducts.com/
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I already checked the air filter its new ac delco put in at the same time as the new cp3 and two new injectors. Fuel filter is new also. I dont have any way to check balance rates or does that not sound like the problem? I have read about the harness issues but havent had time to look into that yet i will asap tho. If it was egr stuck open wats the best way to test that?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:52 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Hang it!...Fire!
Lifetime Supporting Member

find another truck to buy
Belltech 3inch drop shackles, T Bar bolts all the way out, DDM Tuning 6000k Low/3000k Fog, and about 50lbs of Zipties
TDIpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Checked the balance rates today. 2 and 7 were .0x and the other 6 were all over the board number 3 being the worst anywhere from -3.9ish and i saw it at -6.x and the others all in the -2.x range and then one in the -3.x range. Pretty safe to say thats why its smoking black at all times???
Old 01-01-2013, 04:45 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbedTruck67 View Post
Checked the balance rates today. 2 and 7 were .0x and the other 6 were all over the board number 3 being the worst anywhere from -3.9ish and i saw it at -6.x and the others all in the -2.x range and then one in the -3.x range. Pretty safe to say thats why its smoking black at all times???

Was your actual vs demand rail pressure holding steady at idle?

That truck will likely need a few injectors (some are leaking), but a bad FPR will make it look much worse than it might otherwise be.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:59 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Yes rail pressures were both steady at around like 1200-1400 i believe? But the fuel flo was idleing at like 3800. Comparing to a buddys truck thats way off is that from the leakn injectors causing it to flow more fuel and thats where the constant black smoke is coming from? This truck has had a new cp3 but im not sure if the fpr was done at the same time or not.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbedTruck67 View Post
Yes rail pressures were both steady at around like 1200-1400 i believe? But the fuel flo was idleing at like 3800. Comparing to a buddys truck thats way off is that from the leakn injectors causing it to flow more fuel and thats where the constant black smoke is coming from? This truck has had a new cp3 but im not sure if the fpr was done at the same time or not.

If it was a brand new CP3, they usually come with a new FPR too.

Sounds like some of the injectors are just leaking and returning too much fuel.......you'd need to do a fuel return test to see which were NG.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Ill have to see wat cp3 was put on it but i knew the remans from a parts store came with a new one but figured that was probly extra at the dealer..

How do i do a leak test on the injectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.