Leaking Coolant - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   eBay Motors  #21 (permalink)

A bad cap usually causes the upper hose to collapse.
2005 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax Allison Denali Headlights 285/55R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Black/Machined XD Hoss -12 Offset MBRP 4" Stainless Turbo Back Diamond Eye Turbo Direct Pipe LBZ Mouthpiece EGR Blocked & Cooler Bypassed PPE Standard Level 4 Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge EDGE Insight CTS w/ EGT Probe Head Gaskets & Studs @ 145,000 MILES

Check out some pics HERE
HERE
js05sierrahd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM   eBay Motors  #22 (permalink)

So if I'm reading this correctly, you are actually getting coolant by the cap, not just out the hose? 1st I would check to see if the hose is bad and leaking on to the tank during a purge. If not you may have a cracked cap or its just not sealing well, so I would go and replace it. May just be that simple of a fix.

When mine got real bad I rerouted the hose into a soda bottle so I could keep track of when and if it purged and it also helped to recycle the coolant so I was not constantly buying more.
2005 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax Allison Denali Headlights 285/55R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Black/Machined XD Hoss -12 Offset MBRP 4" Stainless Turbo Back Diamond Eye Turbo Direct Pipe LBZ Mouthpiece EGR Blocked & Cooler Bypassed PPE Standard Level 4 Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge EDGE Insight CTS w/ EGT Probe Head Gaskets & Studs @ 145,000 MILES

Check out some pics HERE
HERE
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM   eBay Motors  #23 (permalink)

I'm not sure exactly where it's coming from but that's the only spot I noticed a coolant leak and I did notice some running on the intercooler pipe on that same side. Kinda made me think it was something with the cap. I guess typically with a bad HG you will have a firm upper hose even after sitting all night. But mine is not even firm immediately after shut off. But to me it just seems like its not even holding on building enough pressure to keep the upper hose hard.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   eBay Motors  #24 (permalink)

Another thing that I just thought of that I thought could be a possibility is, could it have been a little air in the system. Reason for asking is, I've had no issues up to this point, but this happened after a tire rotation and an unknown/unwanted courtesy check at the tire shop. I've noticed no more fluid anywhere. No bubbles in tank when I check when running. Upper hose is soft in the morning and soft even after shut off. It was up to operating temp I believe (going by dash gauge). One thing that was weird is I had to move my truck to the back of the lot this morning after I had already been at work, and I popped the hood and the upper hose was hard. Is that normal with a cold truck?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 AM   eBay Motors  #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzgoody View Post
Another thing that I just thought of that I thought could be a possibility is, could it have been a little air in the system. Reason for asking is, I've had no issues up to this point, but this happened after a tire rotation and an unknown/unwanted courtesy check at the tire shop. I've noticed no more fluid anywhere. No bubbles in tank when I check when running. Upper hose is soft in the morning and soft even after shut off. It was up to operating temp I believe (going by dash gauge). One thing that was weird is I had to move my truck to the back of the lot this morning after I had already been at work, and I popped the hood and the upper hose was hard. Is that normal with a cold truck?

How long did the truck sit and cool off? If only a short time it will still be hard but if for a bunch of hours and coolant is cold it should be soft... At the courtesy check did they happen to over fill the coolant? That could cause a purge but once it leveled off it should not continue...

I was in denial for a long time, occasionally needed to fill the coolant, but it got to the point every time I ran the truck it would purge. Even then it ran perfect except for constantly loosing coolant and the hard upper hose! Than one day I had no cab heat and I knew it was bad!! I would bet if the hose is hard after sitting and fully cooling off its head gaskets. Its probably just starting to get "bad". Sometime its just needs the right/wrong circumstance to present it self.

Either admit you have an issue or you can try one last time to crack open the bleeder on the thermostat housing verrrrry slowly. My guess is air will come out. Open it fully and let it bleed until a steady stream of coolant comes out. Place the bolt back in slightly just to stop the flow, and again verrrry slowly open the surge tank cap. Remove it fully and back out the bleeder bolt this will force out coolant quickly to assure no air is in the system. Tighten the bleeder top off coolant and run her really hard. let it sit for a bunch of hours. I would bet its gonna have a hard hose after this.

The only "full proof" way to diagnose would be to get an compression tester, screw into glow plug holes and see if she holds. Only small issue with this is if the HGs aren't that bad yet they will probably hold as it usually takes a hot engine and some serious power to lift the head.

The longer you drive the worse its gonna get and the possibility of damage increases! I was lucky my heads were still in perfect shape... but I was lucky!

Check out some pics HERE
HERE

Last edited by js05sierrahd; 01-08-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 AM   eBay Motors  #26 (permalink)

Trouble Shooting Head Gaskets: My Story...

Check out some of my old posts: Happy Reading & Good Luck
Duramax Forum Posts
08-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Coolant Overflow
12-12-2011, 10:50 AM
thermostat? egr cooler? head gasket...

Diesel Place Posts
08-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Head Gasket Question?????? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
12-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Coolant Leak... again - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
probably head gasket but need to rule other issues out first - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
12-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Looking for Mechanic in Northern NJ (Probably HGs) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
03-26-2012, 11:30 AM
LLY Head Gasket Kits - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Duramax Diesels Posts
12-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Diesel Mechanic Northern NJ - Duramax Diesels Forum

Check out some pics HERE
HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.