Leaking Coolant - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Leaking Coolant

Had low coolant warning come on today. Got out to look and check and noticed a drip in front of the passenger side front tire. First time this has happened. I went and got some coolant and added it and drove home. After I got home I got out to see if I was still leaking and it wasn't. Could still see a couple drops. I pop the hood and look, and several things around my reservoir tank had coolant on them. Figured I would wait to do the typical hard hose check but as I was getting ready to close the hood I reached and grabbed the upper radiator hose and it was not hard at all. Would this be a bad reservoir cap?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Also forgot to add, the truck didn't get hot or any swings in temp. Thanks guys.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Anyone?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

did u let it idle for a while and see if there was any bubbling occurring in the reservoir?
NEDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I think that you should start with cleaning as much old coolant off and then pressure test the system, including the cap. I have seen the tanks leak at the seem and the caps leak.

03 2500HD ccsb 4x4
AFE intake and filter
Edge Juice w/ attitude
4" exhaust
6" CST lift
35" tires
dave.chretien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEDuramax View Post
did u let it idle for a while and see if there was any bubbling occurring in the reservoir?
By the time I got off work and got done feeding I was ready to get inside and warm up. I just found it weird that my upper radiator hose was not hard. Even after checking it less than a minute after it was turned off

Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.chretien View Post
I think that you should start with cleaning as much old coolant off and then pressure test the system, including the cap. I have seen the tanks leak at the seem and the caps leak.
I'm still a noob so how would I go about pressure testing the system and the cap?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzgoody View Post
By the time I got off work and got done feeding I was ready to get inside and warm up. I just found it weird that my upper radiator hose was not hard. Even after checking it less than a minute after it was turned off

check the hose when its cold
NEDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzgoody View Post
I'm still a noob so how would I go about pressure testing the system and the cap?

You will need a cooling system pressure tester and cap adapter.
you can get these at harbor freight or a tool store. I have one from snap on and one from harbor freight. either works fine

03 2500HD ccsb 4x4
AFE intake and filter
Edge Juice w/ attitude
4" exhaust
6" CST lift
35" tires
dave.chretien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

What psi should the system hold? And for how long?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.