Runaway - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)

A run away diesel is when a failure of some kind has caused the crank case oil to be substituted has the motors fuel. What this does is make the motor have no governor since the pump or ecm is no longer controlling the fueling process. Also the the motor will eventually lock up do to lack of oil because it burned itself dry. The cause of a run away diesel can be many things. Pump failure, turbo seals failing. I read some were on the web about a duramax that ran away. The crank case was extremely over filled with oil and some how was pulled through the PVC into the intake. The only sure way to stop a run away diesel is to cut the air supply. Shutting of the pump with a manual shut off will not stop a run away since the injection pump is not suppling the fuel. This is why pretty much all diesel pulling trucks and tractors have a manual shut off for the turbos.

"Quotes found on the Internet are not always accurate " Abraham Lincolon"

Last edited by 6.6 Duramax; 01-24-2013 at 08:35 AM.
6.6 Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeEm View Post
There are several occasions of gas leaks= me breathing it in to fix it. Smoking is a MAJOR no in any type of oil field atmosphere. Natural gas is very flammable. Well, it is 130 octane!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
lol speakin of gas leaks...damn mexican food. wow 130 octane. damn
djm 3/5, sleeves and braces, 5inch straight pipe
cts insight, ad2 165, 1pc shaft, reroute
airbags, bt lockbox

thanks to: Bigdipper, ATP, BT Dieselworks, Blackout Performance

time to beat: 12.60 @ 108
6dot6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
Taking the Long Way Home
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500-HD View Post
the old green leakers were notorious for running away...racks sticking, turbo seals blowing...

detroit 4-71 in gmc 650 running away start after the 30 years - YouTube

RUN AWAY Detroit Diesel! 453-T - YouTube

and the ford...very good explanation too.
FUBAR 6 0 RUNAWAY - TURBO SEAL FAILURE LEADS TO TOTAL ENGINE DESTRUCTION - YouTube
Furd guy hit the nail on the head, a lack of lubrication Ruins it

Last edited by FC5452; 01-23-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: pretty sad thats all I comprehended ;)
FC5452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

When the turbo in my F550 7.3 was failing(peddestool seals failed which ended up causing a bearing fauiler, over heating it) and I was told to drive it till it blew....I carried my 20 pound fire extinguisher next to my shifter. Plan was if it started going pop the hood, and pop open the air box, and shoot the extinguisher into the mouth piece, hopefully stopping it. If that didn't do it, I was gonna run like hell. I put my foot down when I got off the highway one day, after having surging boost the whole trip, and the turbo was sealing like a pig. Closest I have gotten, thankfully.

I don't think turbo's should be yellow....
2008 GMC 3500HD CC LB DRW 4x4~Westin Step Bars, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Antenna "Delete", Plasti Dipped Grill and Emblems and Rims, Leveled, Funky Gear Rims, Nictane Adapter with Donaldson and Clear Bowl, 3" Magna Flow Down Pipe, 5" Diamond Eye Exhaust Dumped, EFI By Kory, Crobra 29LTD WX/BT/NW CB, Dual 4' Firesticks, Recon Roof Lights, Reese Pro Series 15K 5th Wheel Hitch

1985 Chevy C20 RCLB 350 4 Bolt, 4 Barrel Carb, 4.10 Gears, 8600 GVW, Glass Packs Dumped, Pig Skin Leather, Bed Mounted 5th Wheel, Dual 20 gal Tanks, 62,146 Miles, Indian Bronze and Cream~Rolled

DF DRW Club Member 129

Last edited by Goose2448; 04-17-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Goose2448 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)

Would the fire extinguisher really work? Damn that's smart man lol. Would it harm anything internally?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT3, 6.6 Duramax LLY, 95k miles, EFI Live Idaho Rob, 4in Silverline Turbo Back, AFE Stage 2 Intake, 6in Fabtech, 35 Mickey Thompson ATZ tires on 17 ProComp rims, fully debadged, 10sub 800watts.
Jonesin33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)
backwoods legit
Lifetime Supporting Member

one of the ways to stop a runaway is to spray a CO2 fire extinguisher into the intake, this starves the motor of air and stops combustion.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 AM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)

Lots of good stuff up there, but we still hav'nt explained to the OP what it is and why it happens. Just that different things can cause it.

What a "Runaway" is is when you no longer have any control of the motor. Typically it ramps up the rpm higher and higher until the motor grenades or the governor holds it at max rpm...there the motor stays screamin away until it blows up or runs out of fuel or air.

How it happens: How we control diesel motor is by feeding it, you give it more fuel it goes faster, less fuel it slows, cut off the fuel it dies. Unlike a gas motor that uses a spark for ignition, a diesel only needs the compression of the air fuel mixture to ignite...every time it compresses the air /fuel it ignites. We dont have any control over it. The only thing we have control over is how much we feed it.

So if any form of fuel (diesel, natural gas, oil etc.) is introduced to the motor in any way that we arenít controlling it (blown seals, gas leak etc) the motor will just keep taking fuel from that source..as much as it can, until we either cut off the fuel source or we cut off the air to the motor. Or it blows up.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I think just a regular ABC would work, as your pretty much blocking all the O2 from getting in there. CO2 would work better though. I don't think at that point you really are worried if anything else is gonna be damaged. Its pretty much toast any way. I just would not want a flying piston to kill someone.
2008 GMC 3500HD CC LB DRW 4x4~Westin Step Bars, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Antenna "Delete", Plasti Dipped Grill and Emblems and Rims, Leveled, Funky Gear Rims, Nictane Adapter with Donaldson and Clear Bowl, 3" Magna Flow Down Pipe, 5" Diamond Eye Exhaust Dumped, EFI By Kory, Crobra 29LTD WX/BT/NW CB, Dual 4' Firesticks, Recon Roof Lights, Reese Pro Series 15K 5th Wheel Hitch

1985 Chevy C20 RCLB 350 4 Bolt, 4 Barrel Carb, 4.10 Gears, 8600 GVW, Glass Packs Dumped, Pig Skin Leather, Bed Mounted 5th Wheel, Dual 20 gal Tanks, 62,146 Miles, Indian Bronze and Cream~Rolled

DF DRW Club Member 129

Goose2448 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
backwoods legit
Lifetime Supporting Member

if you spray anything other than co2 its not gonna work...with co2 if you catch it soon enough you will only be replacing what caused the runaway.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)
Meyer Performance

There was a guy on here who's buddies pulling truck ran away in him. He went to go fill it up and it did it on the way home. He couldn't reach the air knife once the turbo lit. He was aling for the ride.
The life of my truck
Pics of my truck
MBRP, Diamond Eye, EFI live by Kory, FASS, S&B, Autometer, DHD, Magnaflow, ProFab, Banks, Edge, Cognito, Fuel, Nitto

Thanks to Tyler @ www.MeyerPerformance.com 812-344-4421
lutzjk913 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.