Headgasket Job: parts list, tools, tips, tricks - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question Headgasket Job: parts list, tools, tips, tricks

Well, I have been in denial long enough. My 05 LLY with 155k needs headgaskets. I convinced my buddy to help me do it. shops around town were drooling over this wanting to charge $6000+ with bolts!

I would love a list of parts, specialized tools needed, other items/issues to address while she is torn apart, and other tips/advice.... anyone have a link to a good how to/ DIY write up? what about GM service manual for this job, or any specs I need? I want to be all set with everything needed before I tear it all apart. Perhaps this may also be useful to other who need to tackle this dreaded job.

I would like to do studs, best gasket, water pump is only a year old, t-stats? what else. going to get some vendor quotes on some of these things.

Thanks!

Bought in July 2010.
Mods: EFI Live AutoCal programmed by ATP Trucks, SDP EGR Delete Pipe, LB7 uppipe, Edge CTS Insight, Airaid intake, 4" cat back exhaust w/ 5" tip, AFE Turbo Mouthpeice, PCV Reroute, LED lights in cluster with new stepper motors, Profab downpipe, nicktane fuel filter adapter, CAT fuel filter, LML drivers side exhuast manifold, ARP head studs, grade c head gaskets.

Mileage as of April 2013: 155k
rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 03:47 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Do you or your buddy have a nice tool box? It's hard I tell what tools you need... Look what you need to take off to get access to heads, and note the tools you need. Torque wrench is one... Come on here what kid of question is this. Either you have tools or not. You need a tool to change head studs forget what that is called..
Arp studs, Grade C's, 3" DP, Whats an EGR?, Fuel Filter 3/8 Spacer, ATP Autocal DSP2 80hp street/40hp tow vvt brake, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, 5" Tip ,AFE Mouthpiece, All On/Dual Park Lights, Leveled Kool-Vue Tow Mirrors, 18%Tint, debadged, Discoverer AT3's, 2006 Lower Valance, Extang Trifecta, Amsoil where ever oil should be
DuramaxSilvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

There aren't many specialty tools you will need. Just a fuel line disconnect tool, fan removal tool, torque wrench as mentioned above, the usual sockets, wrenches, etc, and a good Allen set. I would also recommend a small 5mm Allen on a woblie head for getting to the rear lower valve cover bolts.

As far as materials look into getting a kit. There are multiple venders that sell head gasket kits. Just make sure to get OEM grade C head gaskets. They are usually what comes in the kits. You can do t stats if you want to. I bought a couple when I did mine but didn't replace them...just more or less got them as spares for later since they are very easy to get to.

The job itself isn't all that bad. Take photos during tear down and label everything. I also put small parts in labeled zip bags. It can actually be done without taking the fan out but is a pain so take it out or at least loosen it before taking the belt off... There are a couple of write ups out there. Google search LLY head gasket repair. I found a guys picture archive and referenced it during tear down and reassembly.
2005 LLY Silverado 2500HD LT, EFI Live, Edge CTS w/ serial DSP5, Sinister EGR Delete, LBZ Mouthpiece, MA PCV reroute, ARP Head Studs, Stainless downpipe w / 4" Diamond Eye Exhaust, Modded air box with resonator delete. Blue LED cluster.

1975 K5 Blazer SB400
2011 Yamaha FZ8
2008 Polaris Outlaw 525s

On Water:
2011 SeaDoo 180 Challenger SE
PolarXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Put a piece of cardboard between the radiator and fan-- so if you bump the radiator it will not damage it.

Take pictures of the fuel line hold downs, there is lots of them. put them in separate bags and label them.

If you are using studs, put the back two into the head [driver's side] before you install it. Make sure the back bottom is down all the way-- mine was up a little, and I had a massive oil leak.

Keep the hardware with what ever component you take off-- that helps going back together.

Before you remove the steering shaft bolt-- TIE THE STEERING WHEEL WITH THE SEAT BELT. Clock springs are expensive.

Keep everything clean and organized. I used a large table to lay things out-- that helps going back together.
Good Luck.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry

Last edited by jc1843; 03-18-2013 at 04:26 PM.
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Here is a link to the photo album I found before I did mine.

johnvh.smugmug.com/gallery/14226204_D3wvY#!i=1051039425&k=G47Bpn6
2005 LLY Silverado 2500HD LT, EFI Live, Edge CTS w/ serial DSP5, Sinister EGR Delete, LBZ Mouthpiece, MA PCV reroute, ARP Head Studs, Stainless downpipe w / 4" Diamond Eye Exhaust, Modded air box with resonator delete. Blue LED cluster.

1975 K5 Blazer SB400
2011 Yamaha FZ8
2008 Polaris Outlaw 525s

On Water:
2011 SeaDoo 180 Challenger SE

Last edited by PolarXJ; 03-18-2013 at 05:50 PM.
PolarXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Pull the motor Only special tools I can think of would be TRQ wrench, fuel disconnect, feeler gauges. 3lb hammer and wrench will pop the fan off no problem, no need to waiste money on fan tool imo. When you get the heads off put a strait edge across them and shine against the back of strait edge to check for warpage..

05-LLY-crewcab-SB- 285-65-18's on MKW wheel's, -AFE STAGE 2-MBRP DUALS-EGR BLOCK PLATE-AUTOMETER PYRO+BOOST GAUGES- B&W turn over, Diamond + JL AUDIO, Remote starter,Turbo timer, Tranny upgrade, PRECISION T.C., Deep pan, Fumoto valve, AIRDOG 150 L.P., PPE SHIM KIT & PORTED FUEL RAIL, LBZ mouth piece, COGNITO H.D. TIE RODS & BRACES.
EFI LIVE, DSP-5...... ATP TUNING, 40 over BD Injectors 4" T.C. lift, 35" Nitto graplers, Rancho 9000's
Built motor, "Big Twin's", Dual Fuelers

03-LB7 reg cab (AKA project race truck)
custom8726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

We are not going to be able to pull the motor but I will pull off the front tires and sit the rotors on some timber and that should get it down another 8" or so.

Thanks for the link to the pictures. I have pulled the fan off last year to do the waterpump so it should come off easy enough this time.

What can I expect a shop to charge to resurface the heads... I have no idea!

Fuel line disconnect, feeler gauges, I'll check on those. Do you really need to remove steering shaft bolt?

If I were to replace anything else while I was in there, what would be the biggest bang for my buck given my upgrades noted in my signature?

In addition to the headgasket "kit" and studs I will also need fluids. change oil, oil filter, dexcool, a lot of PB Blaster for stubborn bolds/nuts, loctite for various parts, plastic baggies, marker, masking tape, beer, what else?

Bought in July 2010.
Mods: EFI Live AutoCal programmed by ATP Trucks, SDP EGR Delete Pipe, LB7 uppipe, Edge CTS Insight, Airaid intake, 4" cat back exhaust w/ 5" tip, AFE Turbo Mouthpeice, PCV Reroute, LED lights in cluster with new stepper motors, Profab downpipe, nicktane fuel filter adapter, CAT fuel filter, LML drivers side exhuast manifold, ARP head studs, grade c head gaskets.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Take your time and Don't rush it. A new DP if you don't have one. Merchant has a nice link for adjusting valves.
Future Plans: built trans.,Trac Bars, injectors & Lift Pump... it never ends.
onthefritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarXJ View Post
Here is a link to the photo album I found before I did mine.

johnvh.smugmug.com/gallery/14226204_D3wvY#!i=1051039425&k=G47Bpn6

That's the best pics of doing the HGs I've seen to date.

Sad part was I think he bought a Cummins shortly after completion.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefritz View Post
Take your time and Don't rush it. A new DP if you don't have one. Merchant has a nice link for adjusting valves.
sorry a DP?.... brain is fried. ugh. thanks!

Bought in July 2010.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.