Power steering and brake trouble - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Power steering and brake trouble

My power steering never works 100% when im trying to make turns at low speed(low rpm). Its almost like the power steering turns off. In addition to that the brakes feel mushy and i can feel some vibration in the pedal. The steering wheel also seems to have a little bit of play. Can anyone help me diagnose this problem
estcoastsuporter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Need more info of you truck.. Year make etc.

I know that my 6.5 has a power steering leak and the power steering runs the brake booster so when the fluid runs low it looses its brakes as well.

Id clean all the dirt and grime off, fill up the power steering pump and turn the wheel back and fourth like crazy till you see a leak.
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Its a 2004.5 / 6.6 / Silverado 2500
estcoastsuporter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

i would check the serpentine belt that was my problem it could be rubbing somewhere
-limo tinted windows all the way around except winsheild
-18"MKW M25 with 285/65/R18 Toyo A/T
-Afe replacement filter
-Cogneto Leveling Kit
idrivebowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 07:39 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I have a similar problem and have had it since day ONE. No leaks. Serpentine belt is fine. 80K mile. 2005 3500, SRW, 4x4, crewcab. It always happens when at idle and maneuvering in parking lot. Increased effort to steer/brake. System will growl if I push it hard enough. Never stops working, just doesn't seem like there is enough hydraulic capacity.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:21 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

anyone have any additional information on the break booster pump. seems as though the power steering side just behind the master cylinder is exibiting some residual fluid, just wondering if it may be common. it leaves an aweful stain on the street and really want to consider getting it fixed. thanks for any help.i also have the 95 3500 drw 6.5 litre.

Last edited by feo2h3; 09-03-2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added vehicle information.
feo2h3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 07:42 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Ding, Ding: you have found one of the hidden problems. Chevy has a service bulletin on this issue. It does not have a repair option.

The hydraulic brakes system gets it power from the power steering pump. I beleive that when the brake is applied repetitive and multiple times the pump is unable to maintain power for the steering box, and can end up with loud noises and eventually the steer column locking up unless you allow power to transfer from the brakes to the power steering.

My condition starts when backing my boat down the driveway. Last I checked, the bulletin cover 1999 through 2004 (?2005) (trucks, sub, yukons, hummers, hd and non-hd). It is one of the reasons I do not have new truck
r1cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 01:15 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

There is night and day difference in mine since I flushed the PS system. I had no leaks though.
2012 Chevy 3500 dually work truck Towing 2003 Teton Grand Freedom 5ther weighing 21,000 lbs. Traveling the USA welding pipe, repairing plants, building new ones & really enjoying God's beautiful country.
bpe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 07:57 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Maybe I should not have tried getting it fixed under warrenty.

The bulletin was locate during the warranty period. I have not had the dealer pull up new updates on the steering in a while. The dealer had attempted a few things before finding the bulletin: flush and replacing something ( i need to see if it was the valve in the pump.) After locating the bulletin, it issues a do not fix order. ...no repairs available.

Since it is out of warranty, may be the aftermarket industry has stepped up to the plate. Thanks for the insight.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:41 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

back again

After using the latest bulletin, the Lucas flush did not work. Seems to be getting worst. I hope to find an after market pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.