funky noise after water pump install - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

funky noise after water pump install

just put my truck back together with the help of a friend whos a mechanic we did the water pump and shim kit along with the lbz mouthpiece at the same time i changed the exhaust to a 4" and just finished and airdogg set up last night but ever since the water pump change i have a rattle/nocking noise if u will that was not there before we started dint know it its the aftermarket water pump or the crank pulley took the serp belt off still makes the noise checked the pulley no play in it just dont understand how it came about since it was fine before just a small leak no noises and noise i have noises and i need the truck 100% goin out of town 5-12 and have to take the truck any ideas
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 12:29 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Do you have all the tools you started with?

I doubt anyone can be as lucky as I was, but I just had to put a second water pump in after the mechanic somehow left a socket in the housing the first time. It rattled around and beat the hell out of everything until a hole formed. I barely heard it though, but now that it isn't there, it is definately quieter.

too cheap for anything else
NP4M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
NewEST Spinny Thinggg

lmao thats 1 idea
SoCal Cam
Mahle Forged Pistons .040 ovr
Hamilton Rods
Floor it pump
Dipper sticks
ATS Trans/CoPilot/TC
Other Stuff...
seth999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 12:32 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

im sure we got all the tools this sounds like i light rod nock to me kinda like top end noise just have no idea
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps0318 View Post
just put my truck back together with the help of a friend whos a mechanic we did the water pump and shim kit along with the lbz mouthpiece at the same time i changed the exhaust to a 4" and just finished and airdogg set up last night but ever since the water pump change i have a rattle/nocking noise if u will that was not there before we started dint know it its the aftermarket water pump or the crank pulley took the serp belt off still makes the noise checked the pulley no play in it just dont understand how it came about since it was fine before just a small leak no noises and noise i have noises and i need the truck 100% goin out of town 5-12 and have to take the truck any ideas

Did you find anything with your wp? I just replaced mine with a new GM pump and have a noise coming from the front of the engine.. Doesn't sound good! I've also found this thread ->

2004 water pump noise - TheDieselPage.com Forums

Sounds like there may be a few GM pumps that are not made to spec?
Dmax affair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Im wondering what ever came of yor issue. I had a new one installed on my truck last summer and when i got it back there was a high pitch 'whine' that made it sound like a super charger, So the shop changed brands to a napa one that still whined pretty bad, so From what we i could find online was to just drive it and let it break in. Now that i have about 6k miles on it, the sound has changed to a very loud nocking/rattle. It sounds like a old 6.9 ford diesel. I aleady know the answer is gonna be get a new pump. But this shit is gettin old. Who makes a good water pump for these things!
5% tint, AFE Mouthpiece, Cognito UCA w/Bilstein 5100's, Rare Parts HD Tie Rods, Firestone Helper Bags,
20" XD Spys w/305-55R20 Pro Comp AT's, Auto Meter Cobalt Boost and Pyro
2005 Chevy LLY 4x2 ECLB 308,000 Miles
Utility Bed, All Stock
flyinryne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinryne View Post
Im wondering what ever came of yor issue. I had a new one installed on my truck last summer and when i got it back there was a high pitch 'whine' that made it sound like a super charger, So the shop changed brands to a napa one that still whined pretty bad, so From what we i could find online was to just drive it and let it break in. Now that i have about 6k miles on it, the sound has changed to a very loud nocking/rattle. It sounds like a old 6.9 ford diesel. I aleady know the answer is gonna be get a new pump. But this shit is gettin old. Who makes a good water pump for these things!
Replaced it with a new NAPA pump, no problems after that. The NAPA water pump gear was the same as the original, where as the AC Delco gear looked completely different.

SOLD-2003 GMC SLE 2500HD CC SB 4x4 D/A in summit white.

Sold-2001 Silverado LS 2500HD EC SB 4x4 6.0 vortec in sunset orange.
Dmax affair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinryne View Post

Seems to me there was a gear lash issue on these WPs a while back. I would call Merchant Auto about it because I know they have the TIG'd water pumps for sale and can help you with experience on the whine/rattle from the water pump install as well.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.