Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Gelled up?

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  pmulls870 
#1 ·
Hey guys wondering if I'm gelled or something worse?? It has been -10 or -15 for a few days. Start fine but lack of power, temperatures seem normal. I had an injector running at 4.0 now is at 2.1. Ran a little 911 through and it seems to have made the symptoms subside slightly but if I shut it off it goes Raghu back to the same symptoms. I don't have access to a heated garage what can I do? Sorry for my shit grammar but I am writing this while driving between jobs. Thanks in advance

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Change your fuel filter. even with running 911 through a tank all the wax will still get stuck in the filter. fill up your tank with good #1 diesel and give her a shot of anti gel like howes or power service.

#5 ·
No do not fill the new filter with anything. Fill the tank on your way with #1 and a bottle of 911 in the tank. Then prime the filter. You never want to pre fill a filter.

#6 ·
See I didn't think so either I mean I was always taught never put diesel in the filter but the 911 bottle says prefill. I will add #1, then change the filter at the fuel station and let her prime up. Is there a proper procedure for degelling?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
The reason it said that is incase you don't have a new filter it can help remove some of the wax from the one that you have so you can limp somewhere to get another filter.

#8 ·
when i had gelling 2 weeks ago at -24 it actually prevented me from getting to work, it started fine but died about 6 times on the way to work. filters were completely waxed over.

i dont care what anybody says i prefilled my airdog filter half way with 911 and dumped the rest in the tank. after about a min i replaced my cat filter on the block and never had another problem for the rest of the week still in -24

do any of you even have a choice to pick between #1 or #2 diesel? where i live its #2 all year and in the winter its just a blend of #2/#1 but called #2.

#11 · (Edited)
I got the gelling under control. For some reason it seems like the truck still isn't getting up to speed like it used to? I am wondering if this could be related? It seems like the truck is running well but it feels almost like there is a small trailer back there? Transmission related?

Maybe like tow/haul is on but I have no dash light indicating that? I have never used tow haul on my diesel so I don't know what it should feel like in that mode. It feels like it takes longer to shift, decelerates really fast, and feels like you REALLY have to get into the skinny pedal to get from 65 up to 70 to pass someone

#13 ·
I'm used to that power loss I noticed that when we got winter blend... This seems different, like something is holding the truck back? Maybe I am just paranoid but something doesnt seem right? For the sake of argument, what would happen if Tow/Haul was on? what would my truck be doing in Tow/Haul w/o a trailer

#14 ·
Not to hijack, but why should you never fill the filter with fuel when you change it? We do this on our semis and pickups and have never had any problems.

#16 ·
I haven't experienced any gel up yet even here in AK, so far my problems have been PS related. I just noticed some fluid staining the snow under the truck this morning.

#17 ·
Also when its that cold your gear oil is very stiff that could make it feel like you are towing a trailer. As for having tow haul on it wont do anything other than what it normally does when you have a trailer.

As for the power steering issues take the lines to AK rubber and rigging and they will fit them with arctic grade hose. Also make sure you use a synthetic fluid.

#21 ·
Not just the push button it has to have the auto function. Then the transfercase takes auto track fluid. But either way I don't think that they would be stiff like the front and rear diff. When its cold it feels like I am dragging a boat anchor

#22 ·
How long would it take your truck driving from say -15 degrees F to warm it to say 120* F then start driving. How long do you have to drive before you would say you're not pulling a boat anchor?

#23 ·
30 min or so some times. If I start it and let it idle it takes 20 min or more to warm up to 120. If I drive it a lot less time.

#24 ·
I am warming up about 20 minutes. This gets me from -15 to about 120 or so. Obviously would do nothing for the cases and such but it is about a 15 minute ride to work and it seems like I drag a boat anchor along all the way there??? I mean I am at a total loss.

#25 ·
Far fetched I know but bear with me... could there be a dragging brake? How could I address this? I guess to me it does feel like dragging a trailer with the brake dragging?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.