P0202 & P2149??? Need Help Guys! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 01:20 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

P0202 & P2149??? Need Help Guys!

Quick rundown,

2004, pretty sure it is a LLY. Just hit 81,000 miles.

I noticed a slight knocking sound over the last few months only around 1300 to 1600 rpm and very mild, but noticeable.

I went out the other night, started it and heard a LOT of knocking. Check enginge light came on of course and I shut her down, and proceeded to do a underhood inspection for anything obvious. I noticed that there is a wicking type of oil buildup all around the MP to the turbo. Any ideas there would be greatly appreciated, though the knocking and codes are my main concern as of the moment.

Started the truck again, ran normal, did not throw check engine light.

After letting it sit overnight I tried once more. Hard knocking, constant check engine light.

Pulled codes

P0202 (injector circuit, open cylinder #2)
P2149 (fuel injection group B supply, injection circuit open)

I am now at a standstill and do not know what to do from this point on. I have a good mechanical background, but I am not going to claim to know anything about diesel engines.

I called a dealership out here in Southern Cali, and they told me that there was only a 7 year, 70,000 on this vehicle, a deisel mechanic told me that they may have been wrong??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
T.W.
southcaliboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 01:27 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Sounds like the famous injector harness failure that affects #2 and #7 connectors on LLYs. Search "icepick" for a temp quick fix. I'm sure others will shed more light, one of LLY weak points but easy to fix.
2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
ALLY Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 03:17 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Do i search "icepick" here on the site or on the web?? I appreciate that peice of advice by the way, is it a quick fix that I will be able to make myself ?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:38 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Where is the #2 injector? Passenger side or Driver side?

For the "Icepick" trick, do I pick the injector pin directly or the E.C.M pin?

Where is the #7 injector?

Does anyone know what the harness kit cost for repair?

Thanks fellas.

T.W.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:56 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Okay,

I removed the #2 injector connection, wiggled it around to see if a movement of connections would show me whether or not I was on the right track and it solved the problem as you fellas mentioned.

Now I need to make the fix, icepicks are pretty big from what I remember LOL. That harness connector is pretty dam small where the wires input and the icepick would cross through. What are you guys using to drive through the connector over the top of the wires for compression??
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

I'm surprised nobody else chimed in here, maybe they're all celebrating or something? I haven't had to try the icepick yet since I've never had a problem, I'm planning on extracting the connector sockets, placing a slightly smaller drill blank inside and making some dimples with an automatic center punch. I have heard that just cleaning them with a pipe cleaner periodically works too. These circuits switch about 13 amps, pins look pretty small for the task. I believe GM has a repair kit for this since there's a TSB on it. Seems like I've herd the repair kit is something like $400 or more. Keep searching, there's a lot written about this problem, also more on the Diesel Place forum too. Let me know how you fare on this.
2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
ALLY Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Thanks Ally Cat, Happy New Year.

I will keep you up too date.

If there are anymore opinions out there the ywould be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
T.W.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:36 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Many have had the GM "fix" done on their trucks and then had it fail again. If the "Ice Pick" fix is done right, it will last!
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 11:51 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Well guys,

I ended up removing injector connection by injector connection and cleaning them all. I just did a simple clean with some CRC component cleaner and really mainly found the #2 and #7 connector to have accumulated the most dirt and or grime though mainly dry but nonetheless a cause for bad conductivity.

#2 connection is right next to the power steering pump and therefore I see that being a main issue for injector connector issues.

#7 seems to catch all the blowback produced by the cooling system and the turbo and intake sysetm, though it was very dry with only a golden brown accumulation.

Truck is running great now along with the absence of that horrible piston slap sound when a injector does not allow for combustion lmao! It is no longer throwing any codes. Time will tell but after a good long drive I am somewhat confident that the issue is resolved.

Thank you all for the comments and ideas, I did purchase a Scratch Awl that I will be keeping in the glovebox, I did not use the "Icepick" technique. I do fully understand it and now that I know that the connections are very clean, if the problem occurs again #2 will be gettin a nice poking from me!

Happy New Years to all!

Sincerely,
T.W

Last edited by southcaliboy; 01-01-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.