Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

How common is head gasket failure?

35K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  DMAX1988 
#1 ·
Just a little curious, I have owned a few Duramax's 6.0s and 5.9s as well, studded every 6.0 I owned, are the head gasket failures just a common in the LLYs as the 6.0L PSD?

Doing the headstuds in the 6.0L was a cake walk, I was doing some research on studding the 6.6 LLY and it doesn't look as fun, but is it all that common?

Just looking for some input, as far as I can tell mine are fine, but am considering studding it before I do run into and issue-if its likely to happen.

Thanks

#2 ·
I would say it is more common than not but that doesn't means yours will fail. I have seen quite a few high mileage lb7 and lly's with stock gaskets running just fine. Mine failed at 137k miles...

if the gaskets have been replaced with current style gaskets then you won't be having anymore headgasket failures. The only reason they failed was because of their design. LB7's fail just as much as lly's.

#3 ·
Okay, I had a few LB7s never had an head gasket issue, with this truck with the turbo and tunes, I try not to push to much boost because I know the trucks don't like that to much

#6 ·
like mentioned, many trucks dont experience HG issues until very high miles, some never. I have owned cummins and 6.o as you, all studded as well and now I am in a lly. I have 170k on the clock and will worry about the studs and gaskets when and if they go (knock on wood) and I won't lie, its always in the back of my mind. My father in law tows all the time with his lly, tuned and all and its holding strong. Proper maintenance, some minor mods and keeping the coolant temps in check under load is important and the things to do to accomplish that can reduce the % of HG failure significantly in my opinion.

#7 ·
I just check all my records and the only thing I can tell GM did thru GMGlobalConnect.com is injectors @ 85K under warranty, I bought it from a friend and he said they definitely have not been done. My truck has 167K Never really worked at all...it doesn't even have a trailer hitch on it

#8 ·
with the egr delete, that a plus. What are you running for MP, intake?

#9 ·
Its custom piping from EPR.....

#10 ·
My last truck was an 05 LLY and I had head gasket failure at 114k miles. I did not run the truck hard and did not tow a lot of weight. I doubt I ever pulled more than 6,000 pounds. I had an EGR block, PPE economy tune, and 5" exhaust when the heads went out. I bought the truck with 96k miles so I either have bad luck or the previous owner drove it very hard. If you don't tow too much weight and treat it well, you should not have an issue... Unless you have as much bad luck as I do.

#11 ·
My lucky is pretty shitty when it comes to expensive repairs, I have checked the coolant hose after sitting all night and its soft, so I probably shouldn't worry about it as much, but if they go they go, I have a shop, lift, tools....etc

#12 ·
I did not have the equipment, skill, and time to do it myself, so I had to take it to a shop. About $4,500 later my truck was up and running again..

#13 ·
I had mine replaced at just under 250k, there was 5 bad cylinders....I didn't have any symptoms until I purchased EFI live...:D...gotta pay to play.

Here is a comparison, the rivited are the upgraded gaskets.

Attachments

#14 ·
Just checked my top hose compared to another LLY thats been sitting here since 7AM both hoses are the same when you go to squeeze them.

#15 ·
I just replaced my head gaskets. Went out at 210k. Luckily i have a cousin that has a full shop and was able to get it down in a weekend. I had 3 cylinders fail. It was intimidating to start but once we got into it, it really wasn't that bad.

#16 ·
I agree with tjlakia, but once you get it all back together and fire it up, it is an incredible feeling.

I did all of the deletes and some other thing while I was there and it was literally like a new truck. Ran better, quieter, better fuel economy. Overall it was a great outcome and good investment for engine security.

#17 · (Edited)
Mine went at 68000. Had signs for a few months leading up to when they went while running trans safe tuning. Had the trans built and got ppei max effort tuning, they went the first day I got the tunes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#18 ·
Mine went at 68000. Had signs for a few months leading up to when they went while running trans safe tuning. Had the trans built and got ppei max effort tuning, they went the first day I got the tunes
Haha Sounds just like me. Put the built trans in and then ordered built trans tunes from kory and the day after I put them in my hg's went.

#20 ·
yes, like a very stiff tennis ball!

#21 ·
How can u tell if they have been the updated ones from the dealer or even aftermarket gaskets??

#22 ·
search for the tab, go under the truck, passenger side and look up back side of the head. You will find the tab and should be able to identify it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.