Oil Change 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.6 crewcab - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Oil Change 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.6 crewcab

I have been paying the dealer 80 dollars to change the oil, they recommended every 6000 Miles. I am going to start doing it myself.

I am using dealer oil, anybody know what kind that is?

IS there a better kind to recommend, I don't want to use synthetic?, If I change oil brank, do I just fill it with the different oil or do I need to flush it or something?

How much oil do I need?

What is the recommended oil filter?

How often should I be changing the oil?

Any information is appreciated.
kmontez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I change my oil and fuel filter every 5-6,000 miles. I use 10 quarts of Delo 400. I buy three gallons at a time in a box from Costco, and usually purchase my Baldwin oil filter and Parker fuel filter only from Performance Truck Products. He's on this forum, or you can go to their website. Also, there is a bunch of great dealers on here, i just have personally used PTP so that's why i would recommended them. Again, I use Delo, its not a synthetic, just a great heavy duty motor oil that we use in our big trucks so I can't see why it wouldn't be good enough for my pickup. You can get as crazy as you want with oils and synthetics, as for "dealership" oil, I couldn't tell you what it is, I'm sure its something like Delo 400. Hope this helps.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill
Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

80 bucks wow man oil is the easiest thinmg in the world to change 16mm socket and a let it rip and a hell of a grip on the oil filter and ur golden i just change mine with mobil1 delvac for under 35bucks
Green
Put 582 995
05greendmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

also oil is oil man as long as u buy name brand stuff ur fine they all do the same thing no need to waste ur money on the super expensive stuff if all u do is drive from point a to b if u race ur truck thats one thing but just buy name brand stuff i have ran all that expensive stuff royal purple, amsol, red line, they all do the same thing imo now i buy whatever is on sale .i will say it again oil is oil...........
Green
Put 582 995
05greendmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

The way I see it... if you spent that much for a truck and you want to have it last as long as it should... might as well pay to take care of it. I use Rotella T6 syn. fluid, NAPA gold oil filter. 3 gallons and a filter. You should change fuel filter every other oil change as well, just wanna add that in.

PPE standard & boost valve | Bilstein 5100's | Prosport EGT & boost gauge w/ Autometer dual overhead pod | Pioneer Avic D3
tigermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 03:50 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmontez View Post
I have been paying the dealer 80 dollars to change the oil, they recommended every 6000 Miles. I am going to start doing it myself.

I am using dealer oil, anybody know what kind that is?

IS there a better kind to recommend, I don't want to use synthetic?, If I change oil brank, do I just fill it with the different oil or do I need to flush it or something?

How much oil do I need?

10 qts

If you are staying away from synthetics most use Rotella or Delo. 15W-40 unless you live in a climate that gets extremely cold then you might consider 5W-40 in the winter.

OEM is about 7500 miles

Any information is appreciated.
How much oil do I need?

10 qts

If you are staying away from synthetics most use Rotella or Delo. 15W-40 unless you live in a climate that gets extremely cold then you might consider 5W-40 in the winter.

OEM is about 7500 miles
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I use mobile 1 synthetic, the oil cost about $50, then you gotta get the filter, change it myself. It would be almost $100 to get it changed here at the store.
-Edge Juice with attidue, AFE Turbo inlet, Rerouted PCV, EGR Blocked and Fingersticked from KennedyDiesel, Grade C HeadGaskets, ARP Head Studs, looking for more mod advice, for longevity and better MPG
ZX10Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

i get mine changed at the dealers at there expense, all i have to do is pay the tax on 90.00 .+ i change it every 3000,because thats when they tell me to come back,lol, they try to sell me a new car every time igo there so i wont be able to get the free oil changes
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 03:07 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I've spent $60 in a filter and oil before, in reality $ 20 for labor is pretty good. from a dealer, they probably lube it also.
load controller 5000 bags, pitman and idler braces, kryptonite sleeves, cognito UCAs leveled
Cen Pe Co diesel max fuel additive,Cen Pe Co oil
mwar410 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

This might be a stupid question... but I'm gonna ask it anyways.
On my buddies 05' to reset the oil life % he says he turns his truck off, puts ignition on, and presses the brake pedal three times and it resets to 100%

Tried it and it doesn't work. How many miles or hours is that 100% based on?
2" Torsion Keys Installed. Ranch Hand Legend Full Replacement Front, Rear Replacement TBI, Edge Evo CTS, Diamond Eye DP, 5'' MBRP Exhaust. Cat and Muffler Delete 5-6" Tip, 17" Dick Cepek DCII's and 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, PCV Rerouted, Resonator Blocked, LBZ Mouthpiece, Modded Air Box and Shroud. Headlight All On Mod
1984 Jeep Scrambler 454 w/Holley Pro-Jection, TH400, Stak 4x4 4.3 T-case, Custom Drivelines, Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear, 4 linked, 44" Beadlocked Super Swamper Boggers
1971 Chevy K-10 LB 350 with a little HP added, Built 700R4, 205 T Case 4" Rancho lift, 33" tires w/ Enkei wheels, Dual Exhaust, 40/20/40 seat, Gas tank out back. www.alligatorperformance.com
crucescrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.