Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2005 Low oil level sensor leak

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DRE05 
#1 ·
I have a leak in my oil pan (LLY) which I believe to be from the low oil level sensor (that's what I've gathered from the other threads I could find...it's just above the drain plug). I can't find a gasket on rockauto or at the parts store. I called the stealership and they told me there's no part listed but it looks like it's attached to the sensor itself. He went and got the sensor and said it looks like an o-ring attached to the sensor. The price of the sensor is $89.

Has anyone had to replace this gasket/o-ring before? Can I just buy an o-ring assortment kit and find one to fit? I'd rather not spend $89 to replace the sensor when all I need is the 10 cent o-ring.

Thanks,
Dave
2005 Sierra SLE ECSB

#2 ·
A good part store will have an assortment of o-rings, and should have the size you need.

#3 ·
It turns out this sensor installs from the inside of the oil pan, so once you take off the clip that holds it in place, it falls into the pan. Luckily I was able to snake it out through the drain plug hole, but there's no way to replace that seal without dropping the oil pan (and the front axle too, from what I understand).

I may try smearing some silicone or gasket maker around the whole thing and see if that stops the leak. I can always scrape it all off if/when I attempt to drop the plan to fix it the right way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.