Fuel gauge problem solved - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Fuel gauge problem solved

I thought I would post here my problem and the solution so maybe someone with the same problem could maybe try and not have to go through what I did. PROBLEM: Fuel gauge quit working light came on and stayed on empty and transfer pump of course did not work. By the way this is a 2004 chevy cab and chassis w/dual tanks. This is a list of what steps I took.
Checked fuses cause I was getting no voltage to the sending unit. Went ahead and changed front tank sending unit($125) still not working. So next was my biggest mistake and took it to the dealer. I figured I would pay $98 for them to figure it out since they are the experts so they call me and I talk to the tech who said I was getting voltage to the front unit but the rear sending unit showed an open current and they would be glad to fix it for $950+tax. So I said no I will pick it up. Bought the part of the sending unit I needed ($145)and replaced it in the rear tank. Still not working. I bought a used instrument cluster($100) and still not working also replace the stepper motor behind fuel gauge still not working. I was in the process of installing an aftermarket gauge when I came across a wiring diagram of the fuel system on the internet(alldata). There are two wires coming from the ecm that work the fuel gauge so I took apart the fuse box to check if I seen anything obvious. It seemed as though all the wires were where they were supposed to be. I just wanted to make sure that there was none pulled out of place. I couldn"t find anything so I bolt back the section of fuse block that the fuel relay fuse is at and the damn gauge started working and has worked for the last 3 weeks. SOLUTION: One of the wire ends must have quit making contact and when I took it apart and put it back together it must made contact again. Believe me this is the short and might I add cleaned up version. I hope this helps
mb3240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Could you please give me a link to the alldata page with that info, i am having this same problem.

Tuned by SCRTuning: 431 HP 823 TQ
New Truck:
05' CCSB 2500HD 4X4 LLY Code Name:Lilly
2 inch drop Shackles and Front set to match
LBZ Mouthpiece, 5" TBE, EFILive by SCRTuning
gya0ma7ha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 01:02 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Its alldata.com and it is by subscription you to pay like $26 or so for one year. What is the problem just fuel gauge not working?
mb3240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 01:45 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This is what I understand------

There is a transfer pump on cab and chassis models, with two tanks-- the system is suppose to be computer operated, and move the fuel from the rear tank, to the side tank, as the side tank gets low on fuel.

There is no lift pump to move the fuel from the fuel tanks to the engine, that is the same as all other d-Max, and requires you hand prime the system.

It is possible the relay connections were not making contact.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 06:17 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

is the fuse box you aRE TALKING ABOUT in the engine compartment on the left side? mine is doing the exact same thing
hardknocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

They might use the "Fuel Pump" relay that is used for the gas engines-- it is in the underhood fuse box. (regular diesels do not use this, as there is no pump)
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 09:36 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

mine is a 2004.5 LLY chassis cab and my fuel gauge has not worked in sometimwe... i replaced the stepper motor and still does not work.. is there a way to check the sending unit? i was going to try what mb3240 did to fix his also..
hardknocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb3240 View Post
I thought I would post here my problem and the solution so maybe someone with the same problem could maybe try and not have to go through what I did. PROBLEM: Fuel gauge quit working light came on and stayed on empty and transfer pump of course did not work. By the way this is a 2004 chevy cab and chassis w/dual tanks. This is a list of what steps I took.
Checked fuses cause I was getting no voltage to the sending unit. Went ahead and changed front tank sending unit($125) still not working. So next was my biggest mistake and took it to the dealer. I figured I would pay $98 for them to figure it out since they are the experts so they call me and I talk to the tech who said I was getting voltage to the front unit but the rear sending unit showed an open current and they would be glad to fix it for $950+tax. So I said no I will pick it up. Bought the part of the sending unit I needed ($145)and replaced it in the rear tank. Still not working. I bought a used instrument cluster($100) and still not working also replace the stepper motor behind fuel gauge still not working. I was in the process of installing an aftermarket gauge when I came across a wiring diagram of the fuel system on the internet(alldata). There are two wires coming from the ecm that work the fuel gauge so I took apart the fuse box to check if I seen anything obvious. It seemed as though all the wires were where they were supposed to be. I just wanted to make sure that there was none pulled out of place. I couldn"t find anything so I bolt back the section of fuse block that the fuel relay fuse is at and the damn gauge started working and has worked for the last 3 weeks. SOLUTION: One of the wire ends must have quit making contact and when I took it apart and put it back together it must made contact again. Believe me this is the short and might I add cleaned up version. I hope this helps

Can you please explain where the "section" of the fuse block that has the relay. What is the relay listed as on the fuse block? And u just removed it, inspected it and put it back or did you do something else
shockj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

My fuel gauge just started going out, I filled my tank and after 30 min of driving went down to 1/2 a tank turn off the engine when I started again, I was on empty. Could you explain (in detail) what you did...thanks susan
Pro Comp Rims. Re-geared to 4:10 [Susan]
twistedsis19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Same here mine just started doing this.Can you post some pics please?
04 CCSB LB7 IIs483 over IIs366,carillos,cut and coated lb7 slugs,ported heads,RDL downpipe uppipes manifolds ,efi live with dsp5,Big Dipper stage 4,4 inch out the back, ram air keystone hood,US Speedoo fox racing shocks cluster,rolling on hummers,and wraped in silverbirch. And some wicked tunning from Bo-Bo (Bob Olson)
11.64 @117
Originally Posted by hllbllylmsne
Sounds like you screwed up the seat to steering wheel linkage, no real fix for it, sorry
blacksmokelb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.