Injector wiring harness? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Injector wiring harness?

I have had these to fail on 2 different cylinders now. The tech says that only 2 of the cylinders are affected by this issue (wires stretched a little too tight).
Is he correct?
busted knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Lets talk about the truck -

Year
Mods
Mileage

What failed? What cylinders?

More info please.
Diesel Nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 04:05 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
Lets talk about the truck -

Year 2005
Modsstock
Mileage47,000

What failed? injector harness
What cylinders? I don't remember the numbers (I'm thinking 1 and 6) but he said the one closest to the firewall on the right, and the one closest to the radiator on the left

More info please.
Thanks for your response
busted knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 04:22 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I just caught mine before the casing wore through. Mine was rubbing on the back right fuel fitting. I have since put a piece of thick vinyl tubing over the harness for chaffe protection. Wish I had the "elephant hide" and waxed lacing we used to use on the aircraft in the USAF.
4" MBRP Down Tube back
KoolVue Tow Mirrors
Fifth Wheel & GooseNeck
New2DMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
VAGITARIAN :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted knuckles View Post
I have had these to fail on 2 different cylinders now. The tech says that only 2 of the cylinders are affected by this issue (wires stretched a little too tight).
Is he correct?
The 2 most commonly affected are the # 2 and # 7,where the harness wears through..
2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
daddysLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddysLBZ View Post
The 2 most commonly affected are the # 2 and # 7,where the harness wears through..

X2 - #2 & #7 are the most prone to failure. Also, the harness as it comes from the factory is zip-tied to the alternator housing and will rub through. Simple fix for the alternator rub is cut the zip tie, split a piece of heater hose and wrap it around the harness, then re-zip tie it.

For #2 & #7... go buy an ice pick... then search out here and other diesel sites (Diesel Place) for the Ice Pick Fix. It's the best solution - even better than the General's fix... which has routinely been known to go bad weeks or months after being applied.

Good luck!

'04.5 Silverado 2500 HD LLY/Allison Dark Spiral Gray Metallic, EC/LB LT 4x4, leather, Nerf bars, DiabloSport Predator v9r05 (+80 hp), Power Service, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, LBZ Kodiak turbo mouthpiece, EGR blocked (fingerless), PCV rerouted, Silverline 4" 409SS, All Headlights mod, HIR lows and highs w/SilverStar fogs, OnStar, Du-Ha USS, ARMA spray liner, DrawTite Activator II, VentShades, Lund Interceptor Bug Deflector, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock, Michelin LTX M/S 245/75 R16

"Suppose I were a congressman. And suppose I were an idiot. But I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain
Randy_the_Hack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 08:56 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

most likely its going to be #7. If you get 0207 and 2147. That means 1,4,6,7 cyl. are shut down. Try taking out the #7 plug take out the rubber grommet and replug it. do the wiggle test. wiggle the wire if it shuts down that rack then you know.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:49 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I agree with Randy the Hack. They make a retrofit kit and gm will put it on for you if you're stranded on the side of the road. If it's running they won't do anything. Try his fix. It's been discussed on other forums in great length.
BD Exhaust Manifold
AutoMeter UltraLiteII Pyro Gauge
Induction Overhaul Kit
True CAI
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 03:37 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I had two injectors fail on my 05 lly, took it to the dealer and they said thier was a service bulliten on the wiring harness, but no recall yet. about 300 bucks to repair.
Coopdog01us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I don't think it should cost you anything!!!!!!
I believe they revised it to cover 100,000 miles.
Here's the Service Bulletin:
Subject: Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On with Reduction in Engine Power, DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 Set (Install Revised 90 Degree Injector Connector with Harness Support Bracket Service Kit) #05-06-04-047B - (03/14/2006)

Models: 2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado

2004-2005 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series

2004-2005 GMC Sierra

2004-2005 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series

with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VIN 2 - RPO LLY)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add additional warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-047A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on the Service Engine Soon light becoming illuminated along with a severe reduction in engine power (limp home mode). Upon investigation, the technician may find DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146.

Cause
The injector connector circuits on cylinders 2 and 7 are not fully supported near the connector and are more susceptible to terminal breakage from engine vibration.

Correction
If published diagnostics lead to an injector connector, install the revised 90 degree connector and the harness support bracket from the service kit, P/N 98017958, using the following repair procedures.

Repair Procedure for Left Bank Cylinder Number 2
Disconnect the negative battery cables. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Single Battery) and Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Auxiliary Battery).
Remove the left wheelhouse panel. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Wheelhouse Panel Replacement.
Remove the left charge air cooler inlet pipe. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Charged Air Cooler Hoses/Pipes Replacement (Left).

Disconnect cylinder number 2 and cylinder number 4 fuel injector harness connectors.

Remove the cylinder number 2 glow plug connector nut and remove the cylinder number 2 glow plug harness connector from the glow plug.

Remove the fuel injector harness bracket bolt.

Cut the tape to remove the fuel injector harness bracket and discard the bracket.

Cut cylinder number 2 fuel injector connector off the engine harness approximately 38.1 mm (1.5 in) away from the base of the connector.
Important: It is not necessary to maintain the same polarization of the injector circuits.

Strip approximately ¼ inch of insulation from both fuel injector circuits and, using the supplied Duraseal® connectors, crimp the new 90 degree fuel injector connector to the engine harness.
Use an Ultra Torch, or equivalent, to shrink the tubing and set the glue in the Duraseal® connectors.
Secure the Duraseal® connectors with electrical tape.

Position the new injector harness bracket to align with the bracket bolt hole and secure to the harness with electrical tape.
Install the new injector harness bracket and original bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the fuel injector harness bracket bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Install the cylinder number 2 glow plug harness connector and nut.
Tighten
Tighten the glow plug harness connector nut to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Connect the cylinder number 2 and cylinder number 4 fuel injector harness connectors.
Install the left charge air cooler inlet pipe. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Charged Air Cooler Hoses/Pipes Replacement (Left).
Install the left wheelhouse panel. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Wheelhouse Panel Replacement.
Repair Procedure for Right Bank Cylinder Number 7

Remove the fuel filter assembly bolts.

Position the fuel filter assembly out of the way.

Disconnect cylinder number 7 fuel injector harness connector and cut the number 7 fuel injector harness connector wires directly at the base of the connector.
Important: It is not necessary to maintain the same polarization of the injector circuits.

Strip approximately ¼ inch of insulation from both fuel injector circuits and, using the supplied Duraseal® connectors, crimp the new 90 degree fuel injector connector to the engine harness.
Use an Ultra Torch, or equivalent, to shrink the tubing and set the glue in the Duraseal® connectors.
Secure the Duraseal® connectors with electrical tape.

Install the new injector harness bracket to the upper valve cover.
Install the injector harness bracket bolts supplied with the kit.
Tighten
Tighten the injector harness bracket bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Connect the cylinder number 7 injector harness connector.

Install the injector harness to the bracket as shown.
Install the fuel filter assembly.
Install the fuel filter assembly bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the fuel filter assembly bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Connect the negative battery cables. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Single Battery) and Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Auxiliary Battery).
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Injector Connectors #2 and #7 Service Repair Kit
Diablo Sport Predator/EGR Plate
BD Exhaust Manifold
AutoMeter UltraLiteII Pyro Gauge
Induction Overhaul Kit
True CAI
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.