Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Coolant Level Issues?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Darcimus 
#1 ·
I've been getting a coolant level low alarm for the past few weeks and having to refill it every few days, especially after towing my boat. Just replaced the water pump back in January and it wasn't leaking coolant so I did the EGR delete. Now I'm still getting the low coolant level on my display but when I check the coolant level it's fine. Any thoughts? I've read several places it could be a head gasket but I've also read that if you take the coolant reservoir cap off and turn the truck on and let it idle that you'll see bubbles coming out of the coolant in the reservoir if it's the head gasket. I'm at a loss at this point. Thanks!

#2 ·
Best way to check the head gasket is to drive the truck for a while let it sit overnight and see if the upper radiator hose stays hard.

#7 ·
My quote was $8300 with ARP studs and no other work done. I'm in Canada though, I've seen lots cheaper from US peeps. ($5000/$6000 area) I said "F that" and bought the parts myself and am doing it myself.

About $3500 in parts and materials now (so far). Replacing all of the glow plugs and putting in a new water pump as well, so that inflates it a bit.

#6 ·
You said the level was fine. If it read low coolant , the sensor has to be whack. Perhaps relieving the pressure somehow changes whatever has failed in the switch.

Im not sure if only the switch is replaceable. In some GM vehicles, the switch is molded into the overflow tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.