Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Red Deer Alberta Canada
this is out of a helms manual
1) Disconnect both Negative battery cables.
2) Remove the front passenger wheel/tire - jack it up first.
(I think all you need to do is jack up at the frame in front - this will lower the tire mostly out of the way)
3) Remove the wheel inner liner - be careful of the those two-part GM connectors.
4) Remove the batter positive connector and solinoid wires.
(You might want to spray some WD-40 or similar to loosen up the rusty ones)
5) Remove the starter motor bolts.
(Two bolts - they go into a triangularish plate that holds both the motor and solenoid) (You will also be able to see the flywheel through the hole where the gear mates).
Reverse procedure to reinstall
TORQUE NUMBERS - NOTE foot-pounds(lb-ft) and inch-pounds (lb-in)
78 N-m (58lb-ft) STARTER BOLTS
3.4 N-m (30lb-in) SOLENOID NUT
9 N-m (80lb-in) BATTERY POSITIVE CABLE
hope it helps. Its from a 2001 but Im sure its similar
2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ, 3" downpipe (goodbye little ratchet) , 4" MBRP exhaust, Edge Insight CTS, DSP5 EFI live, AFE stage 2 intake, PPE Race Valve, PPE ported fuel rail fitting, PPE cp3 inlet fitting/line, 6" CST lift, 5/8" tranny lines, PCV reroute/resonator plug/EGR block, 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ, 20" ION wheels