Sounds like a knock - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 04:46 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Sounds like a knock

Just installed the diablo lastnight put it on the 80hp tune. after i installed tune, about 1500 rpms and above it the engine has a rattle. sounds kinda like a powerstroke or bad rod in a gas motor. just wondering anyone think its time for a ice pick fix now. Before the motor wasnt loud like this. wondering if anyone had this happen to them after they installed a tune. Also I notice when you drive it at 45 mph or about 1500rpms it has a slight surge. Tach will jump up like 100 rpms. I got mabye 30 miles on it since i installed the predator.
thanks for the help

05 GMC SLT 2500 HD 4X4 LLY.
4" TURBO BACK EXHAUST, AFE INTAKE, MANY MORE TOO COME.

"SHE ONLY SMOKES WHEN SHE DRINKS"

dkoch1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 05:39 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

The Diablo, at 80HP tune seems to demand more fuel and if you have a dirty fuel filter, the injection pump will "labor" as it tries to suck more fuel to meet that increased demand.

Try a less-aggressive tune and/or replace your fuel filter (if you've not changed it in a while)...

Regards,
Keith

PS. For the surging, it too can be fuel related or if occurred before the Diablo and is associated with decreased fuel mileage, related to a glow plug controller issue. Eliminate the simple - like a fresh fuel filter, trying a less aggressive tune, and then check the glow plug controller.
'04.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY/Allison M74, Summit White, CC/SB SLE 4x4, Leather, Westin Nerf bars, DiabloSport Predator 2.02 (+65 hp), Backup Camera, Homebrew Biodiesel, Power Service, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, LuberFiner Fuel Filter, BTSI Security Lock, Stiff Throttle Spring, High Idle mod, EGR blocked, Resonator blocked, PCV rerouted, LBZ Mouthpiece, 2" cranked lift, 4" Banks turbo back w/muffler, Garmin C330 GPS, Tekonsha Voyager 9030 brake controller, PowerBright 400/800w inverter, All Headlights mod, OnStar, Spray liner, V-5 Talon, VentShades, James Window Tinting 20%, Engine Driven On-board Air, riding on Michelin LTX M/S 285/75 R16

Last edited by rkeithdavis; 01-01-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: post script
rkeithdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 09:02 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Ok thanks i'll try drop the tune down in morning, all this started after i installed the predator lastnight. Other wise it never did this, fuel filter got mabye 600 miles on it.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I turned it down to the 65hp. setting its not near as bad sounds like its on stock tune. surdging went away too. idk mabye it has too much timing advancement or something. mabye I better call diablo about it.

Another thing that was weird to install the predator, it kept giving me a error -12. figured it out only way to download my tuner to ecm was not have the key to the on pos. but have it on the acc. pos. idk mabye something may be wrong

Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I noticed the same thing when I installed EFI live. It has done it for about 3 weeks and I changed the fuel filter already and it still does it. what counld it be??
04LLY. K&N Intake- EFI Live 5 position by IdahoRob-Sinister Diesel EGR Delete- PPE stage V tranny- Triple Disk Converter- MBRP 5 inch Stainless to an MBRP Monster 8 inch tip- resonator plugged- 3 inch intercooler pipes- Profab y-bridge- S&B mouthpiece-FASS 150gph- Autometer Sport Comp 2 Pyro and Boost guages- Cognito leveling kit and UCA's- PPE Tie Rod Sleeves- Empire Diesel Center Link- Rough Country Add-a-Leaf- Bilstein 5100's Front and Rear- homemade traction bars-Mickey Thompson ATZ 285/75/R16
Farmer93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

It's your timing. Advanced timing adds a bit of a knock. The surge could be the tuning if it runs off boost, when the boost comes on so does the extra fuel. It's supposed to make cleaner tunes.

2003 ccsb lb7 s364 12.6@107 Sold!

2011 Sierra 1500 ccsb 5300 vortec

2005 ccsb lly stock...ish
jacobdewey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 06:58 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Whats the temp outside and whats the engine temp when its making the knocking sound? Mine does this when its cold out sounds like crap and doesn't seem to have the same amount of power, but when you horse on it and the engine temp comes up the truck sounds and runs better. This is without the winter front.

Also heard something about having the bigger exhaust doesn't hold as much heat in the engine, which makes it run cooler.

Leveling kit and 33's
LBZ MP
Amsoil
PPE standard level 3, thanks to madjacks racing
5" MBRP turbo back
Boost and Pyro with pillar, thanks to alligator performance
05stocklly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

yeah I figured its a timing knock. temp is like 10 to 20 degrees outside. i turned the setting down on predator knock went away. engine temp like 180. no winter front. yeah when i get on it, about 1600rpm's and above it will do that timing knock. at idle its smooth til 1600 rpms

Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

sounds like the shitty tuning giving u too much timing

2008 victory vegas low raked 45
1997 gmc 3/4 2wd parts wagon

Xtremeline Automotive Services
www.atptrucks.com
blackdeath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.