Fuel pressure relief valve - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 AM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
Actron OBDII

but the scan gauges get used more than the scanner, unless I am looking at another vehicle
Not quite sure what you're trying to say.

BTW I read your induction overhaul paper this morning, you got me thinking, thanks.

2005 GMC 2500 HD
Crew cab short box 4X4
Air lift bags W/compressor
MBRP SS turbo back, modified MP, pluged turbo resonator
EFI Live
rmack898 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 AM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)

What's the difference between a scan guage a scanner. What model actron OBDII do you have and which one would you buy now? Thanks

2001 Chevy 3500 CC Longbed Dually 4X4, 6.6 Duramax, PPE Standard, Magna Flow 4" Exhaust, Gooseneck hitch, 32' Gooseneck Trailer, Allis Chambers Backhoe

Some's good, More's better, Too much is just enough!!!!

http://www.alligatorperformance.com/ http://www.alligatorperformance.com/
duramax-rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2008, 10:43 AM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)

I would go to a new dealer...the fuel pressure releif valve is about $500. Labor 1-1.5 hours. They are easy to diag. I would go to a different dealer with better diesel tech's. Just a GM Diesel (Certified) tech's $0.02 advice.
jaydawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2008, 04:50 PM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)

Well thanks JD. I took it to the dealer that I have done alot of business with over the past 4 years. Had I visited this forum when I first came home from this last trip, I would have never taken it to the dealer. It was one of those knee jerk, emotional reactions to breaking down with a trailer for the 3rd time out of state and miles from home and I was pretty damn pissed off. Now with the bull crap they are trying to pull, I just want the truck back and I'll take care of my own mechanical issues. Then I'll deal with dealership on a different level, it's game on.

2005 GMC 2500 HD
Crew cab short box 4X4
EFI Live
Old 07-26-2008, 05:14 PM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:01 PM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)

RMACK898 u sound just like me posting crap all over this site trying to get some good answers, im glad i came across ur problem. can u please tell me what the dealer looked at on ur truck and what worked to get it running, because they do not have a answer for me and they keep telling me they need to get my engine light on in order to look for problems. every thing u just said at the top of ur post with ur truck and dealer im having same problem the only thing is that i can not get my truck fix cuz i dont know what to tell the dealer to look at so can u please tell me what main things to have them look at
r81ders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 08:17 AM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)

r81ders,
I can only tell you what I know for sure. I had this exact same problem last year and after having my truck for 3 days the dealer didn't have a clue. They called in tech assistance from GM and it found the FPRV faulty. They replaced it and I was good for a year. Now I have the same problem and I told them that the symtoms are the same. After 4 days they now believe that the FPRV is again at fault. They replaced it and put the truck on a dyno and it failed again so I am still without a truck.

The dealer techs take whatever GM feeds them as gospel. They can change the oil and rotate the tires on Grandma's Caddy, but when it comes to trouble shooting a little diesel pick-up, they are clueless. I should have taken it to a GMC dealer that does nothing but commercial trucks, those guys probably know whats going on.

There are quite a few highly knowedgable folks on this forum and after 2 days with the search button I now feel that I know at least as much about the fuel and control system on my truck as any tech at the dealer that has my truck.

In hindsight, the first reply to this thread is the most valuable, DON'T take it to the dealer. I only have 40,000 miles left on the joke of a 100,000 mile warranty on the diesel engine in light trucks. The only thing that's ever going to get me back to A dealer (definately not this dealer) is a catatrophic failure like a rod through the block.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help to you but if you have the time, the search button and a few hours reading will make much more difficult for the dealer to pull the wool over your eyes. Good luck with your problem and the dealer, I hope you get it worked out.

2005 GMC 2500 HD
Crew cab short box 4X4
EFI Live
Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)

thanks buddie this is golden info for me or should i say PRICELESS i will go to dealer and let u know my results
r81ders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 10:37 PM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)

A dealer can check the fprv by diconnecting the rubber line into it, and capping off, or pinching off the other end. The run a rubber hose from fprv to a catch can... and drive. Some will show bad at idle when u ramp up fuel pressure, others require a hard accleration.....but wait .....dealerships don't know what going on. Com'on guys...it is the tech's knowledge to know this stuff. So not all dealerships are bad.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:40 AM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)

JD,
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not knocking all dealers or the techs that they employ. I have been broke down out of state on 2 different occasions and pulled into Chevy dealerships that had techs that know exactly what was going on. My complaint is with the multi-line dealership that I am dealing with right now. They replaced the FPRV on Friday, that didn't fix it. They called GM tehnical assistance and were told to replace the regulator yesterday, that didn't fix it. Today they are going to do an injector balance test and call technical assistance back. They have had the truck for 8 days and it's still no done yet. I'm sure that if I had gone to a dealer that only sold trucks, we would no be having this conversation.

I have made my living turning wrenches for over 30 years in the marine industry. When we have a job that is kicking our butt, we can call a factory rep in and get the unit back in service pretty quick. It's not a pride thing when we ask for help, it's taking care of the customer and learning something new for the next time we see a similar problem. After 8 days of parts swapping with no results they need to do something else. If this truck was completely out of warranty, it would have not gone to the dealer in the first place. I know that there are some pretty sharp guys in dealerships, unfortunately there aren't any at the dealership that has my truck. Maybe today will be the lucky day.

2005 GMC 2500 HD
Crew cab short box 4X4
EFI Live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.