Fixing the overheating problem??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question Fixing the overheating problem???

I have been reading about the LLY's overheating issues and was wondering if you get the new mouth piece from the LBZ, fix the air box and get a bigger fan would that pretty much fix the problem? I was also wanting to get a EFI live for it eventually would that be bad for the heat issue or help?
Jonesz0003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

The turbo mouth pieace is the cause from what I gather. Never had an over heat issue myself but replaced mine quickly ounce I did some reading on it. Do a search through the threads and you'll find plenty of good info on it. Don't think the fan needs replaced it's big and power robbing enough as it is. But as for the tunner many will advise tranny upgrade before more HP. Fix weak parts before they brake. A lot of good people on here with sound advice though it may not be cheap it will save you in the long run.
2005 LLY CC SB 4X4 Ranch Hand Bumpers, 265/75/16 BFG'S A/T'S, EGR Blocked and FingerSticked, MB Gunner 8 Wheels, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust with MBRP Cat Delete Front Pipe, AFE Bladerunner MP, PCV Reroute, All Lights ON Mood, Nicktane CAT fuel filter, AirDog 100, Amsoil Fluids and more go fast goodies soon!.
BIGON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Fill out your signature so we know what type of truck you have (obviously it's an lly) and what you've done to it.

Overheating is caused by a couple things in our trucks. Turbo mouthpiece, smaller fan, smaller tranny cooler (if I remember right). There's ways to fix all of them but the quickest and probably cheapest way to do it is to replace the mouthpiece with either the AFE Bladerunner or a LBZ mouthpiece and modding your intake. Also, deleting your cat and getting a larger exhaust will help as well.
PPE Hot +2 E.T.
5" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust
AFE Bladerunner mp
Buckstop Front and Rear Bumpers
mperry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

The best cure you can get is the TxChristopher auxiliary radiator called the v2. I've tried virtually everything you guys have mentioned and MORE. Once I got the v2 the nightmare was over.

ProFabperformance.com

I'm driving Duramax # 13 for me
RickDLance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The overheating problem is mostly caused by towing heavy, high profile trailers up a steep grade and at a slow speed. If you do not meet the criteria, I doubt you will have a problem.

The LBZ is a good mod and should improve the intake flow at higher RPM.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

where do you get a v2
2006 Chevy Trailblazer LT all stock
2006 yamaha raptor 700R all stock

www.alligatorperformance.com
tummytree167 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I've been reading everywhere on this forum, I am ready to replace the mouthpiece, my question is that I see a lot of guys that buy the LBZ and plug the resonator, but i noticed the kodiak one has no hole for the resonator, would that be a better way to go?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:27 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I would also like to know what the LLY air box mod is, I might be missing something, no overheating yet, but that fan when pulling drinks the fuel.It is still cold here, I can imagine when it gets warm LOL
Old 02-13-2011, 08:51 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The LLY draws air from under hood, where the temperatures are high. The mod is to remove the silver tape from the inner fender and fab a seal so the air is drawn from the under fender area.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

A caveat, the turbo mouthpiece should be done by everyone that owns a LLY, the other things are for people that tow and have a heat issue.

A couple things. As RickDLance said, the only way to fix the OH issue is with an auxilliary radiator. Unfortunately something has happened with TX Chris and the V2 is no longer available.

The good news is that there is a set of plans and a detailed DIY is available here:

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

I have one of the OH'ing trucks. Got hot pulling a 5100 lb travel trailer on SLIGHT rises in Nebraska when we first got it. Now a bumper pull TT creates more of an airbrake effect than a 5th wheel does because of the way the air comes off the back of the truck and hits the front of the trailer.

GM retro'd the 06 airbox assy in and I did the turbo mouthpiece and that fixed the fan running issue in hot weather as long as the speed is above 61 mph. Any less, and the temp is 95 or so and the engine heats up. Due to circumstances I was unable to take the truck into the mountains, create a video and beat GM in court like TX Chris did before he designed the V2. We now have a heavier trailer so I will be fabricating a setup using engineer837's DIY.

There is an issue where some of these trucks run hotter than others and some don't get hot at all where others will overheat and their owners cloud the fact by saying the OH issue is not true. There is something inherently wrong with the 04.5 and 05 trucks that hasn't truly been nailed down, but lots of contributing factors have surfaced.

1. the turbo mouthpiece is an abomination. Garrett redesigned it for GM for the 06 trucks and the part actually says Garrett on it. this is worth changing as I, and others have picked up mpg's by changing it and the airbox assy. I picked up 2 to 2.5 mpg by changing this and the hotside tube mentioned in nbr 4

2. the airbox assy sucks air from under the hood and when it gets hot from work, is creating a thermal feedback loop

3. the radiator is too small for the changes done to the truck for emissions purposes, GM increased the radiator 33% for the 06 model trucks and increased the fan fron 18" to 23" in dia

4. GM decreased the size of the hot side intercooler tube to try and overcome turbo lag due to the new for the LLY VVT turbocharger

5. it has been speculated that the trucks are too aerodynamic and don't shove enough air through the cooling stack. I have experienced this with simply increasing speed 4 mph and the resulting drop in engine temp and the fan not running. if all notice, GM increased the frontal area of the hoods.

6. as mentioned above, the tranny cooler might be too small here is a DIY for a tranny cooler, available from Summit Racing

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

All the above plus a new freer flowing intercooler will be going in our truck this summer. We are also going to remove the cat in such a way that it can go back on due to living in an EPA inspection county here in Ohio. Every other yr our vehicles get inspected.

7. There is a possibility (speculation and thoughts on some folks that know more than I) that the turbo charger might actually be too small and is creating some of the heat issues itself. Garrett makes a drop in one that is bigger, but it is the priciest of the modifications. In a couple years I am getting one for my truck.

2004.5 Sport Red Metallic Crewcab Shortbox 4x4 LLY ARE Truckcap/Bedrug liner Bilsteins Hellwigs front and back, LBZ mouthpiece, nbr 2 and 7 wiring harness. Racor auxiliary fuel filter
1991 8600 GVWR K2500 454/MSD box
Ford 1520 3 cyl diesel tractor
other toys

www.centralfloridaduramax.com

Last edited by drcook; 02-13-2011 at 08:55 AM.
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.