Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

fan removal conversion to electric fans

17K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  dukcaln 
#1 ·
So I have some pros and cons as far as removing the clutch fan and going to dual fans out of a volvo. I have been doing a lot of research and know a guy in town that has this set up on his truck. He has a built motor and runs around with zero issues, even when he tows. Since I am no expert on this subject I thought I would post up and determine what you guys think about this

#2 ·
This has been discussed before, but the overall thinking is that they will not flow enough air the keep the temperature in check.

#3 ·
Why would you want too? Diesel fans flow a ton of air. What are the pro's?

#4 ·
In theory they will produce a tad more HP and decrease temps. The set up the guy runs around town with and tows a 5th wheel on hos 08, has 3 of these fans.

#7 ·
sub'd

I have been interested for a while.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but do the fans engage both cold, to help warm up, and when hot to help cool down? Seams like my clutch is engaged in the winter till the engine temps are around 120 ish?

#10 ·
Your fan is engaged because the silicon in the clutch falls to the bottom when you park it warm, and enough collects that it will cause the fan to engage, and it will disengage when it is either; warm enough to flow elsewhere in the clutch, or until you get the rpm's up and the silicon disengages from it's position.

Also, electric fans won't flow as much air as the stock fan will, but I suppose not everyone will need full cooling capacity. If you really really wanted to do it, I'd go with the better radiator from Cooler Towing and also get his auxiliary radiator. That will help you with your cooling, and possibly make electric fans a possibility, even while towing. You'll never know for sure until you try!

#9 ·
The guy I met is mostly daily drive, I will tow more often for sure. I see what you mean. I may just add some hood vents and the external fan set up to the cooler as I did with my father in laws.

Thanks Dustin

#11 ·
looking into a better radiator and IC set up.... Made a grill change and some fluid adjustments to my trans... so far that has helped witht he trans temps but the coolant temp still climbs when towing... Not HG issues (knock on wood)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.