Hypertech Programmer - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 04.5-05 LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Hypertech Programmer

First off I know there is a better tuner out there, but I bought my truck 3 months ago and this is what it came with. I have searched but I am still a little unclear on a few things. Also if it matters it is the older style tuner that is the size of an overnight bag.

1. What are the HP gains with the differnt stages 1,2, and 3?
2. Will I blow out my tranny if I go to stae 3?
3. Will it hurt my tranny (Stock) if I go to stage 3 and leave it there while commuting and towing or do I need to switch to stage 1 or 2 when towing?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by wontwork; 11-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.
wontwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Welcome to the forum!

Hypertech makes a pretty "safe" tuner. As a rule of thumb you dont want to go oever 90hp with a stock trans cause it can hurt it. You can go in the #3 and be safe. But, if you tow heavy youll want to go to the #1 or 2 tune. Also, getting atleast a pyrometer to make sure your EGT's stay under 1300 degrees

Performance Gains
Stage 3: +87HP +173TQ
Stage 2: +52HP +108TQ
Stage 1: +32HP +68TQ
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Thank you very much.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Hang it!...Fire!
Lifetime Supporting Member

def' get a pyro so you kno when your pushing it too hard.
Belltech 3inch drop shackles, T Bar bolts all the way out, DDM Tuning 6000k Low/3000k Fog, and about 50lbs of Zipties
TDIpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DMAX LML
Lifetime Supporting Member

DEFINATLY get a Pyro gauge! i had a Hypertech programer on my truck before i went EFI and on stage 3 unloaded and stage 2 pulling 9k i had to watch it pretty close when pulling hard.

2014 2500HD LTZ Z71 4X4, EDGE Insight, B&W Turnover Ball w/Companion. Bone Stock (for now)

2006 2500HD LBZ 4X4 6 speed Allison "LT3", Airaid Cold Air Intake, EFI Live DSP5 Tuned by Rob, PCV Reroute, Transgo Jr, EGR Blocker, HID Low/High/fog 8000K, Headligh All On Mod, Recon LED Smoke Cab Lights, Magnaflow 5" DP Back Exhaust, Autometer Boost/EGT Gauges, Edge Insight CTS w/Backup Camera, Holley 150gpm Lift Pump, Firestone Ride Right Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball w/Companion - TRADED 1/13/14

www.atptrucks.com
JJ Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

If I have it set on stage II could it be making my temp jump up to around 200 when on interstate running above 70 or towing above 70.

Think Im gona go back to Stage I till I get gauges. Been looking at the Edge Insight.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I have the Hypertech Max Energy and I haven't had it on any other than stage three since I got it in July.

05 LLY.
EFI Live by Kamron Burchette.
AFE. S&B. Suncoast. Airdog. Edge. Flo Pro. ARP. BT Diesel Works. Autometer. Totron. Retro Solutions. Hostile Wheels. Nitto.

2012 Can-Am Commander
NC-LLY DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.