Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

why you should install an egr blocker

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  sstanley1988 
#1 ·
I have a bad FPR and was in the process of getting to it when i found, I REALLY needed to pull the whole intake and have it cleaned, this was incredibly disgusting, if you ever thought you should leave the egr connected. just look at these pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
the first pic is the "Y" bridge going to each of the runners, you can definetely tell there will be a performance gain soley from cleaning the intake.the second pic is the bridge where the egr hooks to.

#3 ·
:eek:Wow........

Glad I don't have to deal with the egr crap. Thats insane how bad they get

#4 ·
Nasty chit for sure! There's some more pics in my sig. (egr/pcv damage link) if you want more reasons to block it.

#5 ·
That's crazy!

#6 ·
I deleted my egr but didnt notice my Y bridge. But after reading Jax's thread Im real contemplating going back in for an inspection

#7 ·
Im hopefully doing my egr block this weekend, after seeing this I for sure wana tear the whole intake off and clean, what all needs to be removed to do so? What gaskets will I need to buy to go back together?

#9 ·
But the egr helps with emissions... why would you delete it?

F'n government epa controlling know it all fucks!

#10 ·
If i put the EGR blocker plate on my LLY will it throw a code and turn my check engine light on? Also will it pass NYS in spection??

#16 ·
Depends what emissions certificate it has. Mine is federal and blocking mine produced pending codes (pending codes dont throw a light but are still visible with a code scanner in most cases). Ive heard cali and ny trucks will throw a light tho and ive heard a couple rare cases where it limped the truck. But blocking it and a finger stick will take care of any issues you might have.

#11 ·
One of the few benefits of a headgasket job is the opportunity to clean all that crap out of there.... and delete the egr sytem, it's off, why put it back on... I was happy when mine was done.

#12 ·
I just ordered my block plate yesterday,my question it if everything that can be cleaned short of taking the heads of is in fact cleaned wouldn't that result in better performance "more flow",as well as better mileage?? Just curious

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#13 ·
How difficult is it to take off the parts in the listed pictures on the first page? I may be doing it this weekend if i have time.. Also how bad is it caked? Will a simple hammer and flat head be able to clean all of this out?

#15 ·
Hey fellas, I know it's a lot of reading but that thread will cover just about all your ?'s. I'll answer the couple I can tho. armyblouvet08, most will throw a egr insuff. flow code a good way to tell is look in your glove box, from my understanding the fe9 emm. code won't throw one. You will have to check your counties emission requirements to see what they inspect. As far as cleaning you can start at the egr cooler and work your way in as far as you dare/want. I think its a good idea to replace gaskets however some reuse them, I don't see an issue as long as they are in good condition obviously.

#17 ·
im about 11 hours into it right now. i still do not have the 2 runners pulled yet but all i have left is the driver's side up pipe bolts on the manifold side, then the turbo and the 2 runners can come off. i strongly dont recommend doing this, if you have no other reason to go into it. this is not fun the the exhaust manifold bolts suck, especially if its your first time.

ive got one snap on rachet to replace already, not even done yet, lol.

i also have one very special tool for this job that has made it alot better.......came from snap on.... it is similar to a crows foot.

i have been doing this after work each night in my carport with hand tools, i decieded not to lift the cab or tranny, seeing how i dont have even a floor jack here, lol. it is possible, calm down, think and plan your moves......HAVE QUALITY TOOLS, if you strip a bolt, you are PITAED!!!!

i cant wait to get done, i have a bad fpr and fuel injector, once i found the first piece, i knew i needed to go all the way, alot more work but worth it IMO. i told my GF i might have to pull the tranny to remove the intake and she looked at me like i was on crack........then laughed said " you just had to have the diesel.....well enjoy doing it"

Attachments

#20 ·
Wait till you gotta do headgaskets if you havent already done them. I just finished mine yesterday and im no begginer diesel messer wither and it still took me a solid 25 hours...that was with an extra set of hands helping where they could. Sucks so bad im soooo glad its done!

#19 ·
Patience is the key word!

#21 ·
Damn, just knowing all that shit is in my intake bothers the hell out of me. EGR is the dumbest damn thing to ever come about. Piss on the EPA.

#23 ·
I just wanted to say there is no way i could have done this with out this site. THANK YOU guys so much for helping someone out like me. the write ups and little tidbits of yes you cna do it this way, no you cant do it that way have helped me out tremendously. thank you guys again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.