turbo removal without dropping trans?? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 04.5-05 LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

turbo removal without dropping trans??

Alright I ran into a guy I know at the pub we both have D-maxs so we like to talk about what we are doing or planning to do with them. He tells me hes helping his friend who has a lly same as me do head gaskets on his truck. He tells me that they are dropping the trans so that they can get to 2 bolts on the back of the turbo so they can remove it and that there is no way to remove the turbo without dropping the trans. I called bullshit because I can't believe that you would have to drop the trans to change a turbo if you needed to. My guess either they don't know enough about what they are doing or don't have the right tool. Could someone on here tell me if i'm right or wrong thanks much. These guys are also on duramax forum so maybe your answers will help them if they see this post.
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Always in process
Supporting Member

There is no need to pull the trans to remove the turbo. Every fastener can be had from the wheel wells and from up top. Also there is no need to remove the turbo to do the head gaskets.

06 CC/SB
Limitless Diesel Trans,Twins,ARP's,Tuning from Kory Willis

03 CC/SB shop drag truck project.

Last edited by lb7dirtyM; 11-12-2012 at 06:03 PM.
lb7dirtyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb7dirtyM View Post
There is no need to pull the trans to remove the turbo. Every fastener can be had from the wheel wells and from up top. Also there is no need to remove the turbo to do the head gaskets.
X2... I literally just changed my turbo on the weekend. A bit of a pain but definately doable with the right tools and patience.
Cosmetic
265/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler on Core wheels
Leveled, Debadged, Koolview tow mirrors
Truxedo bed cover

1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Project) 14.53 quarter mile @ 97 mph. $1500 invested
CanadianDmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Nope did mine screw taken off the tranny

A.D.C. Its a friendly cult
blk04dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

pulling the tranny will about double the time i takes to change the turbo. a topside creeper would be the shit, but i just layed ontop of the motor. deep 12 pt 12mm socket with a long articulating ratchet will do the job.
Dyno - 582hp 1209tq - SJD, 561hp 1247tq floor-it-diesel (stock turbo & inj.)
Track - 12.82 @ 105.5 mph @7300lbs 1.82 60 ft

07 lbz rclb

Kory tuned, RDL egr delete, banks IC, insight,
bd lift pump w/remote WS, nicktane, ranch hand front
plowboy_lbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

You'd be better off lifting the cab than dropping the transmission IMHO, but definitely not necessary by any means.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
I know nothing
Lifetime Supporting Member

Those guys dont know jack about working on a Dmax. Did this one in my yard with the truck on blocks. lol.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

You do not have to drop the tranny, it would consume more time to do so... Turbo comes out through the hood, just did it on a lbz this weekend, only tough spot was pulling the turbo out because the lbz air conditioner freyon pipe was smaller than an lly

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Cknight199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

oh thanks to you all so happy i'm not going completely insane. Just being crazy is enough for me. yup I hope they see this thread then. I in no way could ever see having to pull the trans to get the turbo off to do the head gaskets. One of you even said they dont even need to take the turbo off to get heads off. I would think it would be easier with it out but I understand what your saying just disconect the manifolds. wait??? wont you have to take turbo off to take intake manifold off?? sorry thought typing. Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

No need to take the turbo off. I left the exhaust manifolds and intake runners on the heads and got them off without a problem. Unbolted the y-bridge from the drivers side runner but left it attached to the pass. side and took them off that way.
All Season EGR delete Y bridge. ASD intercooler pipes
PCV re-route. LBZ mp. Nicktane Cat filter adapter
S&B dry filter cai. 5" MBRP dp back exhaust
Pillar gauges and Edge CTS.
EFI Live by Kory Willis, thanks to Willie at
Synthetic Motorsports.
Stock trans for now.
klkgmc2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.