LLY Upgrades Opinions - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 04.5-05 LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

LLY Upgrades Opinions

Hey guys,

I am looking to do a few more upgrades on my LLY and was looking for some feedback, hopefully positive haha. Current mods to my truck are listed in my sig. What I am looking to do is PPE shim kit (I think shes defueling), Airdog II 165 (Is this the proper Airdog II to get), hopefully EFI Live soon which will lead to EGR delete because I believe EFI can block codes, then way down the road a built tranny! I am not doing a crazy build, no internals, its my daily driver. I want to keep the truck safe, I heard headgasket problems can arise from heavy tuning but if i have my truck more then a Daily Driving 100 RWHP tuned at anytime it wont be for long. So do y'all think I'll be good on the gaskets? This is all i plan on doing for now and for the next few years at least.

Thanks!
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD, LLY, 6" Fabtech lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 17 in Black XD rims, 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust, 4300K Fog Lights, 6000K Hi and Lows, Hi-Five Smoked Amber LED Cab Lights, Tinted Windows, AFE Turbo Mouthpiece, PCV reroute, EGR Block, and EFI Live DSP5 Idaho Rob at ATP.
Duramax27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Oh! Also I have a used Edge Juice with Attitude cts that im looking to sell, anybody know how to make sure my truck is cleared from the edge?
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD, LLY, 6" Fabtech lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 17 in Black XD rims, 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust, 4300K Fog Lights, 6000K Hi and Lows, Hi-Five Smoked Amber LED Cab Lights, Tinted Windows, AFE Turbo Mouthpiece, PCV reroute, EGR Block, and EFI Live DSP5 Idaho Rob at ATP.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

yeah, you definitely have a good plan for sure! I did all that also, you might want to include the PCV re-route for the added longevity….just a thought. Also along with the shim kit, maybe the ported fuel rail fitting also…i'm not sure when it's needed for more demanding of fuel but it can't hurt
EFI Live by Kory Willis...Stage V built trans...pump rub fix...MBRP 5in straight pipe axle dump...diamond eye down pipe….AFE mouthpiece...Volant CAI...Airdog 165...PCV re-route….Plugged…Blocked…Shimmed and Ported...Cognito UCA's and pitman/idler support...Kryptonite tie rods... Trutrac differential...Alpine 7" double din DVD/NAV...Power Bass amp, 2 - 12" Rockford Fosgate subs...Blacked out LED tail lights and 3rd brake light...Remote start and alarm system...Glowshift pod and guages...tow mirrors installed
Dmax4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Can you just use your cts as the monitor? How much did you want for it?
firehazard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

My lly had 137000 miles when i bought it. Headgaskets were good, put efi live on with a 150 horse tune and a week later she started spitting up coolant. Headgasket issues are kind of hit and miss. Ive seen 12 second trucks on stock head gaskets no problem then some blow them completely stock tuned. Arp head studs should be added to help keep those stock gaskets alive.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:13 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Dmax4life:
Sounds good thanks! The PCV Reroute is a good idea, forgot about that, and as for the ported fuel rail fitting. Your right it wont hurt, but I believe it is only necessary when you have really high tunes that is even hurting your lift pump and other fuel mods.

Firehazard:
Yes you can just use it as a monitor, just keep the tune on stock. But i need to figure out how to make sure my truck is wiped from it otherwise it wont work on another truck.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Hmm how difficult is the stud install Mike? Did you do the upgraded gasket kit?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax27 View Post
Hmm how difficult is the stud install Mike? Did you do the upgraded gasket kit?
Yep i did grade c gaskets and arp studs. Honestly if your going in there to do head studs and you know you still have the old style (stock gaskets on lly) gaskets then i would just bite the bullet and do grade c gaskets as well. That way you know its good and to get down to the level required to install studs, its not much further to pull the heads.

The install itself really isnt very difficult. It just takes time. It took me 30 hours to do my head gaskets. If i were to do it again i could probably tackle it in 20-23 hours. But it sure is nice to have that piece of mind. Studs alone would probably take anywhere from 5-9 hours depending how many times youve torn into a dmax.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Great, I think that kits for grade c gaskets and the arps studs are about 1,000.00 right? Are all the grade c gaskets the upgraded design like the lbz motor?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:39 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Just get everything in my sig, lol
2005 lly cclb, EFI live Tuning by Idaho Rob @ A.T.P. , Edge Insight CTS, MBRP 5" straight pipe , lml drivers side manifold ,Afe Bladerunner, S&B c.a.i. , XDP fuel valve, pcv reroute, BFG AT 285'S ,Big Dipper built PPE stage 5 trans.,dts stainless down pipe. Fass Titanium150 ,5/8 suction tube, Profab egr, merchant tie rod sleeves and transfer case brace,AFE hot side intercooler pipe. delete.
50WHIP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.