Glow Plug Issue - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 04.5-05 LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 PM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)

Same Problem

Sorry to jump in on Dev11on's thread, but I have the same problem. I also have a 2004.5 Chevy LLY with 100,000 miles on it that I have owned for about a month. It has run perfectly until today when I tried to start it at 21 Deg F without plugging it in. The glow plug light ran a little longer than usual, but still only for a few seconds, then I had to crank it for a very long time before it started and it ran rough for awhile after that.

I am not getting a check engine light and I used a reader but it did not register any DTCs at all.

The previous owner ran a Tidy Tank that he did not keep full, this may have caused some condensation issues. I changed the fuel filter when I bought the truck.

Should I be looking at the glow plugs, the fuel filter, both, or something else.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.
Noladdermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 03:21 AM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noladdermike View Post
Sorry to jump in on Dev11on's thread, but I have the same problem. I also have a 2004.5 Chevy LLY with 100,000 miles on it that I have owned for about a month. It has run perfectly until today when I tried to start it at 21 Deg F without plugging it in. The glow plug light ran a little longer than usual, but still only for a few seconds, then I had to crank it for a very long time before it started and it ran rough for awhile after that.

I am not getting a check engine light and I used a reader but it did not register any DTCs at all.

The previous owner ran a Tidy Tank that he did not keep full, this may have caused some condensation issues. I changed the fuel filter when I bought the truck.

Should I be looking at the glow plugs, the fuel filter, both, or something else.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Yours sounds more like either fuel delivery or perhaps battery voltage issues.

1) Check battery voltage (should be 14+ volts with engine running)
2) How many miles on that current filter? Have you opened the valve and checked for water?
3) Check your actual vs demand fuel rail pressure (Edge Insight CS or CTS does this well)
4) Is the primer on the filter head hard? You may want to use some clear vinyl tubing going to the CP3 to look for air bubbles in fuel.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater

Last edited by MTL_Dmax; 12-05-2012 at 03:26 AM.
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Any results from above suggestions?
'05 CC/SB, AMSOIL 15w-40 (From Synthetic Motorsports), Cold Air Intake with a dry Nanofiber filter from AMSOIL, PPE Tuner level 1, EGR blocked, LBZ MP, lost KITTY, finished off the rest with 4" SS Magnaflow, Amsoil Torque Drive, 5K HID's, General Grabbers 265 :rockin

Synthetic Motorsports
K9Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)

Hi MTL_Dmax

I am still working on this.

I isolated the batteries and tested them individually with a volt meter and a smart charger that gives a percentage of charge, both were well over 12 volts and 100%. I am getting 14.7 volts with the engine running.

The pump on the primer was soft at first, but hardened up after a few pumps. Is this normal? No water. I am going to change it anyway.

My problem seems to be intermittent. A mechanic friend of mine said he has solved similar problems on several Duramaxes by changing the glow plug relay. An intermittently working relay would explain my problems, so I have one on order and it will be here tomorrow (Tues).

We have had unseasonably warm weather here (central interior of British Columbia, Canada) which has made it difficult to determine if the glow plugs are working or not. On the up side, I haven't had to worry about getting stranded at work where I can't plug in.

I will post again after I install the new relay.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 PM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)

If it is in fact glow plug problems, some of the dime store code readers will not pick up those codes. Get a good code reader that can read any of the modules in that truck. And let us know the readings.

The OP said something about hard starting..... cranks slowly,.... cranks too long of time,.... starts on one or two cylinders after a short crank then fires on more cylinders until all are lit????? Let us know.

A good code reader/monitor will save you money not spent on un-needed parts.

'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05-times up - off warranty, now 120,000 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner on Tow mode, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, "AutoEnginuity" scanner/reader/monitor.
turnpike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)

My code reader is a little old, about 5 years, but it is a good one, it is an Innova 3120 and it cost about $250 back then. I bought it because it reads OBD 2 & 1 and my teenage boys were driving some older vehicles back then.

As for the cranking, it cranked quickly for a long time. At first no firing, then one cylinder started to fire irracticly until it started and then it ran rough for awhile, I can't say how many were firing when it started but it wasn't all 8.

I started it a couple of days ago when it was only a couple of deg warmer and it started perfectly, I need some good cold weather to really test it out.

Mike
Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 AM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)

We finally got some cool weather this morning, the truck started right up and ran smoothly. Thanks for all the help.

Mike
Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)

Replaced batteries and glow plugs, still struggling.

Dev11on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 PM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev11on View Post
Replaced batteries and glow plugs, still struggling.

Have you replaced the glow plug module as well?

If not I would be doing that next (easy to do and around $100).
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 PM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)

I haven't had any starting problems since I replaced the glow plug relay, we didn't get our usual cold weather but it did get down to -16'C (about 3'F). It was easy to do, it is mounted up near the turbo on my LLY, just remove it from the bracket because there is a plastic clip on the back that has to be opened. Is was $200 to $250 Canadian, I thought that was high for a relay but since it solved my problem and was easy to do I am happy.

Good Luck fixing your truck. Let us know when you get the problem solved.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.