Glow Plug Issue - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 04.5-05 LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Starting and Glow Plug Issue

My glow plug light will only come on for a second and then will turn back off, and now that its cold out the truck is struggling to start. What is going on and what do I need to do to fix this?

Last edited by Dev11on; 12-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Dev11on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Tell us details about the truck. Model year, engine, etc.
2006 2500HD LBZ 4X4 CC/SB LT3, 265/75R16, Rhino Liner, PCV Reroute, Resonator Plugged, 35w 6K HID Low Beam & Fog Lights, LED Interior Lights, ISSPro Pyro, Boost, & Rail Pressure Gauges in A-Pillar, more to come soon.

1996 K2500 Suburban 7.4L, 265/75R16, Brush Guard, Nerf Bars
lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Its a 2004 2500HD SLT LLY 4X4
Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

OK, the LLY if it has a stock cal, will monitor each glow plug individually. Hook us a scan tool and see if you have a bunch of glow plug codes. If so, repair as necessary. My LBZ just spit out a glow plug out of the blue. I replaced the plug and my problem was fixed. So make sure the Check Engine Light comes on when you turn the key on, if not, that is a good place to start. Then look for codes. These engines are pretty good about telling on themselves. My armchair guess is you need a set of glow plugs, but diagnose them first. Don't throw $160 worth of glow plugs at the engine for the hell of it.
2006 2500HD LBZ 4X4 CC/SB LT3, 265/75R16, Rhino Liner, PCV Reroute, Resonator Plugged, 35w 6K HID Low Beam & Fog Lights, LED Interior Lights, ISSPro Pyro, Boost, & Rail Pressure Gauges in A-Pillar, more to come soon.

1996 K2500 Suburban 7.4L, 265/75R16, Brush Guard, Nerf Bars
lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Might be a fuel problem-- the glow plugs on my LLY cycle fast. Also the LLY does not have as much problem with glow plugs as the LBZ. If you don't have any glow plug codes, I doubt that is your problem.

Try pumping the primer on the filter housing, see if that helps it start.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev11on View Post
My glow plug light will only come on for a second and then will turn back off, and now that its cold out the truck is struggling to start. What is going on and what do I need to do to fix this?
What is your definition of "cold"? Temps please?
'05 CC/SB, AMSOIL 15w-40 (From Synthetic Motorsports), Cold Air Intake with a dry Nanofiber filter from AMSOIL, PPE Tuner level 1, EGR blocked, LBZ MP, lost KITTY, finished off the rest with 4" SS Magnaflow, Amsoil Torque Drive, 5K HID's, General Grabbers 265 :rockin

Synthetic Motorsports
K9Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Moved to LLY-- truck runs
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

No codes, and has brand new fuel pump. Temperatures are in the low 30's to 40's

Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev11on View Post
No codes, and has brand new fuel pump. Temperatures are in the low 30's to 40's
Did you actually scan for codes or is the check engine light just not coming on? I have 2 bad glow plugs and it throws a code every time but it does not set the check engine light. I looked at my factory tune in efi live and its not even set to throw the light for bad glow plugs..but it still will store the codes.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

OP, you need to scan your ECM for codes before we can help you further.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.