Lowering My Egt's - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 04.5-05 LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Lowering My Egt's

i feel like my egt's are to high when towing, is there any other thing i can do to lower them? is there one item that i can do to lower them the most?
LLY,6 INCH LIFT,FOX SHOCKS WITH REMOTE RESEVOIRS,MOOG PITMAN ARM & IDLER ARM,FABTECH TIE RODS,REAR AIRBAGS,18 INCH BOYD CODDINGTON RIMS,12.50X35 OPEN COUNTRY TOYO'S,CAT REMOVED,DEBADGE,5" EXHAUST AND MONSTER MUFFLER,AFE MP,DEEP TRANS PAN,EARL'S LARGER TRANS COOLER,LARGE FLUIDYNE OIL COOLER,AFE COLD AIR INTAKE,AFE MP,3 DOWNPIPE,CUSTOM MADE AIR SCOOP,ONBOARD AIR,TRAINHORN.CTS MONITOR,AUTOMETER PYRO GAUGE, DOUBLE LIMO TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND,6K HID HEADLIGHTS,REMOTE ELECTRIC BEDLOCKER,ELECTRIC TAILGATE LOCK,REVERSE LED LIGHTS
surprise duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 07:55 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
it stinks and whistles :)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Straight pipe and a down pipe. The cat is your biggest restriction at the moment.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
rare parts gen2, bilstein 5100s, all season brace,
merchant pump rub fix, drp trans cooler lines,
air dogII 165
http://performancetruckproducts.com/
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

What are you seeing your EGT's at?? Is your EGR deleted or blocked?? What tuning are you running??

I would for starters start with a downpipe to add to your current exhaust and get rid of the cat and any other restrictions on your exhaust!! I have heard a couple hundred degrees in dropped EGT's but don't know how true that is...

If your feeling like going big get a bigger turbo

08 Silverado 2500 EC/SB

Little of This, Little of That...
TLyons90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I have no cat, will a down pipe really make a difference? i know it sounds funny but it seems like when i removed my cat my egt's went up a little, is this possible
LLY,6 INCH LIFT,FOX SHOCKS WITH REMOTE RESEVOIRS,MOOG PITMAN ARM & IDLER ARM,FABTECH TIE RODS,REAR AIRBAGS,18 INCH BOYD CODDINGTON RIMS,12.50X35 OPEN COUNTRY TOYO'S,CAT REMOVED,DEBADGE,5" EXHAUST AND MONSTER MUFFLER,AFE MP,DEEP TRANS PAN,EARL'S LARGER TRANS COOLER,LARGE FLUIDYNE OIL COOLER,AFE COLD AIR INTAKE,AFE MP,3 DOWNPIPE,CUSTOM MADE AIR SCOOP,ONBOARD AIR,TRAINHORN.CTS MONITOR,AUTOMETER PYRO GAUGE, DOUBLE LIMO TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND,6K HID HEADLIGHTS,REMOTE ELECTRIC BEDLOCKER,ELECTRIC TAILGATE LOCK,REVERSE LED LIGHTS
Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Banned

downpipe will not make a difference because your EGT gauge is post downpipe.

Turning your fueling down will make the biggest difference.

I personally don't see why people say downpipes make a difference in EGT's. I still saw 2000* with one.
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surprise duramax View Post
I have no cat, will a down pipe really make a difference? i know it sounds funny but it seems like when i removed my cat my egt's went up a little, is this possible
Just as a note then you might wanna change your signature cause right now it reads 5" monster "catback" exhaust... lol

But yea as far as everything I have read a downpipe can help out alot because the stock 1 is super restrictive and small...

And as far as EGT's getting hotter after removing your cat that doesn't seem likely at all unless you were maybe not using your AC when you had the cat on and now that it is off you are using it which will raise your EGT's a good amount...

08 Silverado 2500 EC/SB

Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider552 View Post

I personally don't see why people say downpipes make a difference in EGT's. I still saw 2000* with one.
turning my fueling down? you mean lighten up on the pedal to the right?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Banned

Yep.

Sometimes it can be hard

I used to cruise at 1000* towing a 42' toyhauler to the Glamis dunes, how hot are you seein?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider552 View Post

2000*?? I would cry if mine reached that... As you said tho fueling will def change up your EGT's, hints why I was wondering what kind of tuning he was running...

As far as the downpipe goes I am just going off of what I have read and heard... Even with your probe post downpipe when you go from a stock exhaust to a fully opened aftermarket exhaust you see a huge decrease in your EGT's therefore you would see a difference with a downpipe as well... Just saying...

08 Silverado 2500 EC/SB

Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Banned

I guess you and I read the EGT gauge different. I saw zero change in EGT from stock to 5" exhaust at WOT.

ya, saw 2k egt with max effort race tune and 75% methanol when I thought that shit was cool 5 years ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.